Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2006

Old     (tantrum916)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-08-2006, 8:53 PM Reply   
I have a Supreme V220 and when I run it with full ballast the rear end of the boat wants to move back and forth as my rider edges hard. It can really mess the wake up any Ideas on how to correct this?
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       08-08-2006, 8:57 PM Reply   
As a general rule, when the rider pulls on the rope, it actually cleans the wake up some on the side the rider is going to hit and may make the opposite side worse. That really is no big deal unless you are one of those guys obsessed with having pictures that look like a good wake.

Does the side the rider is on stay clean when approaching the wake?
Old     (tantrum916)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-08-2006, 9:11 PM Reply   
I know how that works but this is not my problem the rear of the boat is actually moving enough causing me to correct with the steering wheel, then when the load is gone the boat jerks the direction that I was correcting too. Its not like extreem I don,t think anyone riding in the boat even notices it but Im up there steering my ass off to hold down a line. and I see all the steering affecting the wake.
Old     (big_xstar)      Join Date: Nov 2004       08-09-2006, 7:29 AM Reply   
How is your ballast set up. If your running heavy in the rear, the riders cuts will be more emphasized with to much rear weight in the boat.
Also if you dont have tracking fins you will feel it even more so.
Atleast you sound like a decent driver realizing the issue and trying to correct it for your rider.
Old     (ncbschzzt)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-09-2006, 7:52 AM Reply   
I was going to say the same thing as Kevin, without those tracking fins you could pushing the ass end all over the place.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-09-2006, 8:46 AM Reply   
more weight = less pull from rider. Everybody wins!
Old     (tantrum916)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-09-2006, 9:22 AM Reply   
Here is the ballast set up:

vdrive boat = 600lbs engine in the rear
rear ballast = 900 lbs (450lbs per side)
Battaries = 100lbs

Total rear weight 1600lbs

Front ballast 1050 lbs (525lbs per front locker)

Pop bags 400lbs (placed through out boat as needed depending on the number of people in the boat more than 6 and I take them out all together)

Total ballast in boat 3050 lbs (2650 w/o pop bags)with 60% of the weight in the rear and 40% in the front.

And yes I have triple tracking fins
Old     (sotwstd)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-09-2006, 9:44 AM Reply   
Tom
Does this happen with all riders, or just the ones who cut super hard? I had a 99 MB that was direct drive with a Boss tower. I had about 2000lbs of ballast set up similar to yours (about 60% rear and 40% front), and I would yank that thing all over the place, my wife had a bitch of a time keeping it straight, but when other riders would be out it was not as much of a problem because they were not cutting as hard.
Old     (jzd)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-09-2006, 9:59 AM Reply   
Sounds more like an aggressive rider than a boat problem
Old     (tantrum916)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-09-2006, 9:22 PM Reply   
Ya the less agressive the rider the less the problem. This sound crazy but almost sounds like I need to move more weight torwards the front get more of that vee in the water so she will track straighter?
Old     (sotwstd)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-10-2006, 7:21 AM Reply   
Tom,
I tried that with my MB, it seemed to track better but then the bow would take on water when it got a bit rough out. I had 100lb sandbags so I could throw them around the boat pretty easy, I ended up putting 500lbs in the rear locker 1000lbs along the motor (500 per side) and the other 500 in the bow, that seemed to work best for wake and tracking, just watch out for the rollers on the river, my bow got a bit dive happy with that much weight up there, I just wonder how I didnt sink that poor boat!! (you will probably be a lot better off since you have the V drive though)
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-10-2006, 7:36 AM Reply   
It sounds like you're rear-heavy, and I'm not familiar with the V220 storage layout, but how do you have two front lockers with full 525's in them?
Old     (tantrum916)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-10-2006, 8:22 AM Reply   
Trace,

The 525 are under each seat up in the open bow area and they are plenty long to hold the bags, I fill them until they are hard. Also they do seem to take just as much time to fill in under the seat as they do out in the open, but I would not be surprised if they are short a 100 lbs beacuase every one say 450 are what should go in there.

Either way next time out I'm going to try duming some of my rear balast to make the boat a little more nose heavy without putting more weight in.
Old     (tantrum916)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-13-2006, 7:27 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the input every one,. So I went with the rear too heavy and took 400lbs of lead out f the boat and had 7 people in the boat wake was good and tall consistent on both sides at 22 mph and no rear or the boat moving around as my riders edged hard. So I say problem solved.