Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (johnboyy7)      Join Date: Apr 2011       05-24-2011, 3:13 AM Reply   
I don't see a lot of talk about nautiques on here and was wondering what the feel for them was.
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-24-2011, 3:47 AM Reply   
Not only is the boat top notch the people that own them are the best. The thing I like best is the way they engineered them. Every part is designed to function and be serviced easily. Some boats look like they build them then try to find a place to put the accessories[batteries,ballast pumps ect]. All the top brands build good boats NAUTIQUE builds great boats.

Old     (alexair)      Join Date: Oct 2008       05-24-2011, 4:16 AM Reply   
Yes, it's great boat but shape of wake and tune up of wake shape not the same great. Even for SAN. It's my opinion only.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-24-2011, 4:20 AM Reply   
Awesome boats!
In my opinion, the SAN 230 has definitely got one of, if not the best wake out there. Super large, firm, and perfectly shaped.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-24-2011, 5:04 AM Reply   
I really enjoyed a lot of things about the 3 230's I owned. However, the 230 wake can be tempermental. I never could get it dialed in when adding anything over about 1k in extra ballast. The wake always washed on me no matter how I positioned the extra ballast. The boat itself is an amazing machine. I had very few issues out of my '08, '09 and '10. I didn't buy another one because I wanted a boat that produced a much more consistent wake when loaded with weight.

The ('07+) 210 is an awesome machine and I have had no problems getting a huge, consistent wake out of my friend's 210. I would strongly consider owning one, but I need a little more room than the 210 has.
Old     (nautiquesonly)      Join Date: Sep 2007       05-24-2011, 7:04 AM Reply   
I had two nautiques over the last 8 years. I had a 2000 210 and a 236 which is the same as 230. I did experience a little issue with the wake on the 236 but once I learned how to weight it, we loved it. Build quality is exceptional and they used to have the best warranty in the business. I believe now they offer three years like everyone else. If you really want to learn about nautiques goto planetnautiques and check it out. Ask your model specific questions there and get answers from owners.
http://www.planetnautique.com/vb3/
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       05-24-2011, 8:38 AM Reply   
Go sit in one and youll see...

my 210's wake is MACKIN!!!!!!
Attached Images

Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-24-2011, 8:58 AM Reply   
They are great boats, very well built, very organized( when you look under the helm you see all the wires are done with harnesses, unlike most other boat brands), all in all very well built boats. That all being said they are outrageously priced.
Old     (Texan)      Join Date: May 2011       05-24-2011, 1:03 PM Reply   
For the last 80 years they've been at or near the top in every class of ski boat available. There's not much more to say.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-24-2011, 4:23 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattwake View Post
I really enjoyed a lot of things about the 3 230's I owned. However, the 230 wake can be tempermental. I never could get it dialed in when adding anything over about 1k in extra ballast. The wake always washed on me no matter how I positioned the extra ballast. The boat itself is an amazing machine. I had very few issues out of my '08, '09 and '10. I didn't buy another one because I wanted a boat that produced a much more consistent wake when loaded with weight.
We put about 3700 pounds of extra weight, in addition to factory ballast. We've found that you have to have about an extra 350 pounds of weight on the port side to get it balanced correctly. Otherwise it's about a 50/50 split between stearn and bow. Pull the hydrogate back to "vertical" and the wake is fantastic.

Last edited by ironj32; 05-24-2011 at 4:27 PM.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-24-2011, 5:21 PM Reply   
ok kool aid drinkers. Too expensive, seat bases too close to the floor and drivers seat too narrow. So if your the size of Murray its perfect! They make great boats but someone had to say some negatives. I ride in an old 210 and new 210 and enjoy them both.
Old     (dellagucci)      Join Date: Aug 2009       05-24-2011, 7:42 PM Reply   
https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&i...disp=inline&zw
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-24-2011, 8:09 PM Reply   
I had a nautique and loved it.Over 500 hours of trouble free use.I just like the way my boat looks and think nautique looks dated.Just my opinion,doesn't mean anything.
Attached Images

Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       05-24-2011, 8:39 PM Reply   
Here are my likes & dislikes. Keep in mind, I have never owned one and they are virtually non-existent in Oregon. Pretty much every opinion I have has come from what I've learned on WW.

Exterior - one of the sexiest looking boats (gel schemes, decals, etc.).
Newer towers look sweet, expecially with the Z5 rack
PCM powerplants... so smooth and quiet (I have PCM in my boat... so this I can say with experience)
Really like the black/white snap in carpet that has the logo on it. Saw this a few years back at the boat show.
Brand / Reputation

DISLIKES:

Interior - I know some love it. I think it looks like a transformer. So choppy, no flow, hard, and not comfortable (back rests completely verticle).
Sun pad is too chopped up too. Can't easily lie down with that deep walk through.
Sits high on the trailer... many have posted about not being able to get under a 8' garage door
Price. I think they have priced themselves right out of the Big 3.

Old     (Shooter)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-24-2011, 8:40 PM Reply   
Although I'm a nautique owner and feel they offer great quality, I think they are over rated. There is so many quality innovative wakeboats on the market theses days and feel it is hard to justify the price of a Nautique. Some will reply that you can't beat nautique's build quality and they are worth every penny yet I feel Axis, MB, Epic & Supra have too much to offer at half the price. I guess value is in the eye of the beholder and a lot of it has to do with how much money you have.
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       05-24-2011, 8:55 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwb4me View Post
I had a nautique and loved it.Over 500 hours of trouble free use.I just like the way my boat looks and think nautique looks dated.Just my opinion,doesn't mean anything.
if thats what a non dated boat looks like, ill take my dated nautique.
Old     (chexi)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-24-2011, 9:15 PM Reply   
I'll take my "dated" 2000 SAN, or even my former 1999 Air, neither of look dated to me. Timeless classics.

The seats are too low. They could get more storage space by adding a few more inches of vertical height on the seat bases.
Attached Images

Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-24-2011, 9:15 PM Reply   
Like but strong dislike on the newer tower. That thing is atrocious.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-25-2011, 4:08 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyj View Post
if thats what a non dated boat looks like, ill take my dated nautique.
Everyone has their own opinion.Yours doesn't stop dozens of others from complimenting me on my 2011 every day it's on the water.I guess your in the minority?
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-25-2011, 4:47 AM Reply   
In my opinion I don't think it looks dated at all.
Attached Images

Old     (tdc_worm)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-25-2011, 5:35 AM Reply   
i am on my 2nd Nautique and am by no means a brand loyalist. i am a "whatever meets my needs now" loyalist. my thoughts:

---new wakes can be a bit finicky, but the 230 wake is worth it.
---the new boats offer more rear facing seating with lean backs than any other boat. if you have more than two people in the boat, you spend more time in the boat than behind the boat.
---hydrogate is practically useless
---upholstery is not as plush as some of the competitors
---for some reason, the gel coat seems to stain less and hold hard water spots less than some of the other boats i have owned
---the "carpet" inside the seat storage is actually GM trunk liner, is poorly cut and poorly fixed in place with spray adhesive. some of the competitors use real carpet.
---easily accessible trash cans (220 and 230) are way underrated
----towers are atrocious, but effective

as far as looks, the problem with "progressive" and trendy styling is that it usually isnt timeless. while it may be the hot thing now, who knows where it will be in 5 years. sort of a risky proposition when considering how expensive these toys are. to that end, my opinion is that gel coat lines should be kept simple, and the styling should be handled with removeable/replaceable decals.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-25-2011, 5:46 AM Reply   
[QUOTE=tdc_worm;1681108]---hydrogate is practically useless
[QUOTE]

You honestly don't notice a significant difference between Vertical and Ramp settings?
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-25-2011, 5:59 AM Reply   
Please don't misunderstand me.I think Nautiques are great boats and have great wakes.I bought my Tige because of interior layout ,room for storage and style.All of the items i just mentioned are still a matter of opinion.Everyone has a different one.That's why so many boat companies are still in business,everyone wants something different.I'm not jealous,i'm happy for anyone who has a boat and can enjoy it.HAPPY BOATING.
Old     (nautiquesonly)      Join Date: Sep 2007       05-25-2011, 6:22 AM Reply   
Just FYI on the walk through sunpad, it can be laid on easily when the filler cushion is in place. It simply swings out from under the rear storage locker door and right in to place. We did not find our interior uncomfortable at all. The lean backs do curve back, they are not straight up. Demo all boats you are looking at and buy the one YOU like. I do agree that the newer nautiques are a bit dated when it comes to gel schemes and I don't care for the new tower at all unless it has a Z5 on it. The ones above look great but they are mostly solid color. if you get into a multi color combo it is like stacking one color on top of another in big stripes. My last one was solid white and we loved it.

Last edited by nautiquesonly; 05-25-2011 at 6:24 AM.
Old     (OldDad)      Join Date: Feb 2011       05-25-2011, 6:35 AM Reply   
I shopped them all and it came down to Moomba (price), Malibu (bling) and Nautique (features + bling!) and bought the Nautique. First boat and pick it up this weekend. Initially I wasn't that impressed with the interior but the more I shopped and the more I thought about how we would actually use the boat, the more it grew on me.
Attached Images

Old     (aoblak)      Join Date: Jan 2002       05-25-2011, 6:56 AM Reply   
Dave,
I was looking at your boat last week when I picked up my 230 from storage and I think that it looks sweet
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-25-2011, 7:41 AM Reply   
I used to sell Nautiques And think they are great,solid boats,but have you thought about looking at a Supreme,Centurion,MB,Moomba,Calabria,Epic,Supra,Ge kko,Svfara,Axis,Sanger,or Wakecraft?There now I think I covered just about all the brands the O
P didn't ask opinions about.
Old     (OldDad)      Join Date: Feb 2011       05-25-2011, 8:15 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by aoblak View Post
Dave,
I was looking at your boat last week when I picked up my 230 from storage and I think that it looks sweet
Thanks!
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       05-25-2011, 8:45 AM Reply   
SICK 210 Dave. it doesnt get any better than that.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       05-25-2011, 9:09 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by nautiquesonly View Post
Just FYI on the walk through sunpad, it can be laid on easily when the filler cushion is in place. It simply swings out from under the rear storage locker door and right in to place. We did not find our interior uncomfortable at all. The lean backs do curve back, they are not straight up.
Point taken on the sunpad. I didn't realize there was a filler cushion. For my purpose, I would never take it out. I just don't see the point of walk throughs. But that's MY opinion.

On the seat backs, I don't know how you can look at this picture and tell me the seat backs on the side of the boat aren't verticle. They are completely straight... and while I'm on the subject, very thin looking too. Even the speaker mount shows zero thought or imagination (gee... let's mount the speaker flush with the vinyl... right in somebody's back). No cupholders or cutouts anywhere in that boat either, which means no LED lighting either.

And even though it wasn't on my list, I can now see what others were saying about the drivers seat.

Old     (nautiquesonly)      Join Date: Sep 2007       05-25-2011, 9:21 AM Reply   
I had a 236 with the lean backs and they were great. I do see what you are talking about on the sides now. I never noticed it because I always used the removable lean backs. That is a new 210 and i have not been in one of those. My speakers were all up under the gunnel.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       05-25-2011, 9:48 AM Reply   
Lean backs are not striaght up whatsoever. Heres some pics to show you how they curve back.
Attached Images

Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       05-25-2011, 9:51 AM Reply   
looks pretty thick & plush to me as well.
Old     (nautiquesonly)      Join Date: Sep 2007       05-25-2011, 9:58 AM Reply   
He was talking about the sides of the interior on the gunnels. After thinking about all the boats I have been in from MC, Tige, Malibu, Supra, Axis, Nautique, and many more, I have yet to notice anyone that slopes the side seat backs like you would a forward or rear facing seat. That would make you lose much needed interior width.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-25-2011, 10:05 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakebrdjay View Post
I used to sell Nautiques And think they are great,solid boats,but have you thought about looking at a Supreme,Centurion,MB,Moomba,Calabria,Epic,Supra,Ge kko,Svfara,Axis,Sanger,or Wakecraft?There now I think I covered just about all the brands the O
P didn't ask opinions about.
You forgot BAYLINER.Don't be so childish,no one cut down or suggested another brand.Merely offered an opinion.Sounds like you only want to hear what you want to hear.OP ASKED FOR OPINIONS.JEALOUSY IS A FUNNY THING!
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-25-2011, 10:17 AM Reply   
Man, it seems like people had much better experiences with the wakes behind their 230's than I did. I had constant trouble keeping a clean wake at 70ft+ when adding over 1000 lbs of extra ballast. I had issues with my '08, '09, '10. I have friends who have 230's who also have the same problems, so they basically just run factory + people weight - which is sufficient for most people anyway. However, I had some pros and very advanced riders take sets behind my 230's, and it was troubling to me that, even with their input, we couldn't get the wake right. with lots of extra ballast I had two 1000lb surf sacs, a bow triangle, 5 500lb sacs, some led, etc. I tried numerous configurations, combinations of weight/sacs. I never, never, never could get it dialed in - at any point over three years of use. I still don't know what I apparently was doing wrong. I hope to ride behind one of these 230's that's loaded and dialed in, because I think that it would change my perspective on that boat alot.

Heck, I went to an Axis A22, largely, because I wanted a boat where I could just push 4 rocker switches, drop the wedge, and have a consistent, huge, non-tempermental wake. Since I've had my Axis, we don't ride behind my friends' boats anymore. When I owned my 230s, they were used more for luxury party barges for my crew.

Nautique makes a hell of a product. The resale on their boats is impeccable. The 210 wake is slamming. The pcm powerplants are awesome. I love the look of everything on those boats but the tower. I did not like the LINC system, as I found it cumbersome and slow. My only real criticism of nautique, from a wakeboarder's perspective, is that the 230 hull needs to be tweaked so that the wake isn't so tempermental. I don't know if the boat needs more hook, the chine angle needs to be tweaked, etc., but for charging 80-110k a pop for their wakeboats, I'd rather see nautique put money into making the hull of the 230 create the perfect wake, as opposed to making a ski boat that runs on batteries that will never go into production.

Last edited by chattwake; 05-25-2011 at 10:22 AM.
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       05-25-2011, 12:33 PM Reply   
chattwake:

if you ever make it to central texas, ping me. I'll give ya a pull behind my 236. There really are not many wakes I want to ride behind after getting this one. Its that good.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-25-2011, 12:40 PM Reply   
I have heard nothing but good things about it as well. Most of the good things I heard started from Chattwake when he had his. Seemed like you loved it then. Not dissing you at all, but your recent posts have been pretty contrary to your old posts from what I remember. I always enjoy your boats (SICK AND BLACK - Just like I like them) . I am with Chattwake though and I also would not spend that price tag on a Nautique when you could get another brand, but they are a pretty sweet boat.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-25-2011, 1:33 PM Reply   
Diggs,

I stick with all of the good things that I said about the 230, but even when I owned them, I commented occasionally on how the wake could be somewhat troublesome. Importantly, I have always really like the factory wake behind that boat, and the wake with factory + people, or the wake + a few sacs. However, my friends are all really advanced riders, and by last season I had progressed in my riding to where I wanted a consistently bigger wake (2-3k in the boat) and to ride out a little further, I couldn't seem to get a consistent slammed out of my old boat without having a washing at 70+ feet.

I've always had lots of great things to say about the nautique brand and the 230. I've always complimented the resale value, the build quality, the craftmanship. I was only when the boats I was buying went from x dollars to x+$25k that I started to be a bit more particular when it came to the quality of the wake when the boat was slammed - expecially when I wanted to ride a big wake all the time. I just felt like, if I was paying that kind of coin, the wake should be perfect, and should not be so finiky. I also had an issue with the new fct5 tower because I put a z5 on all of my boats, as well as wetsounds stuff, and I was told that 485's won't fit with the new z5 on the FCT5. That upset me, because I love the sound I get from my 485's, and I didn't understand why nautique would not consider how a fixed mount z5 would restrict tower speaker choices (other than the factory offered roswell speakers....)

Yes, there was probably some owner's glasses on when I talked about my 230's. Hell, I was really proud of them and I thought they looked sick. It just got to where, when it came down to brass tacks, and I had to make a decision to buy another boat with the same hull and wake issues I've described, but at yet another pretty heafty cost increase, I couldn't justify it.

Last edited by chattwake; 05-25-2011 at 1:40 PM.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-25-2011, 1:37 PM Reply   
Dizzy,

I have a friend that rides who lives in Austin who's been begging me to come down and visit. I may just look you up bro! How do you weigh your 236? Like I said, I've got 3 friends who have 230's still, and who would appreciate a detailed description of what works for you.
Old     (tdc_worm)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-25-2011, 1:54 PM Reply   
i was wondering what the talk of vertical seat backs was. it appears that CC has prioritized rearward/observer comfort while optimizing the useable beam for interior width. if you have 5-6 people that want to face aft while watching the rider, and have a reclined seat back, you can do that in a 210, 220, or a 230.

if your priority is having people all face the center of the boat for social hour, it may not be your most comfortable option...the winner for that argument would be a pontoon boat.

we like to ride and watch each other ride while being comfortable. poor attempt at sarcasm hahaha...
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       05-25-2011, 2:11 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdc_worm View Post
i was wondering what the talk of vertical seat backs was. it appears that CC has prioritized rearward/observer comfort while optimizing the useable beam for interior width. if you have 5-6 people that want to face aft while watching the rider, and have a reclined seat back, you can do that in a 210, 220, or a 230.

if your priority is having people all face the center of the boat for social hour, it may not be your most comfortable option...the winner for that argument would be a pontoon boat.

we like to ride and watch each other ride while being comfortable. poor attempt at sarcasm hahaha...
I think you nailed it... Nautique clearly puts the priority on the rear facing seating. Get's back to my comment about a transformer like interior. Some love it, some don't. I personally don't like it, which is what this thread is all about: likes and dislikes.

I just don't think you have to be completely turned backwards to watch the rider, and I'd rather have the ability to comfortably seat 10+ people in my boat.

Different strokes, I guess...
Old     (OldDad)      Join Date: Feb 2011       05-25-2011, 2:18 PM Reply   
Kind of funny. The "transformer" interior was one of the big selling points for us. Kids are teenagers and they LOVED it. I think it's a good idea. Some fo the little things like where they put the dual batteries, grab handles, fold down rear seat/step and snap out carpet sold us. I like things that are laid out for function rather than just bling. Don't get me wrong. I like me some bling too!! ;-)
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-25-2011, 2:41 PM Reply   
I agree with ixfe on the interior. I personally can't stand how it looks all chopped up like it is. I spend a lot more time on the water cruising, floating, putting around then I do wakeboarding. I would rather have a full wrap around with a nice simple look. The other thing I don't like about the interior of the nautiques looking at those pictures is the seat brackets that stick out a little so a seat can be set across the cockpit. That just looks bad and looks like stubbed toe and smashed shin central. That is all my opinion though and I understand why some people like the reverse seating. It makes complete sense if you are a avid rider and spend a lot of your time riding.

The new tower is horrible. In fact, besides the 2000-2003 style FCT every tower ever on a nautique has been less then steller looking and most of them have been fugly.

I like the quality, reliablity and overall looks of nautiques though.
Old     (tdc_worm)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-25-2011, 2:55 PM Reply   
preface: i think CCs marketing is horrible.
prologue: i am not a brand loyalist.

all of the new CCs reversible seating is:

1) an option. if you dont like it, dont option it on your boat, and then you have traditional wrap around seating.
2) its removable. if you are on the fence, just stow it. all of the reversible seating is removable and stow-able, so you can "transform" it from voyeurs platform to a traditional platform in seconds.
3) upgradeable. if you decide you would like more utiltiy, go buy the lean-backs later.

their towers are inexcusable. where (in my opinion) they hit a home run with over function over form with their seating options (i wouldnt wear skinny jeans because they are less broken up than a pair of regular straight legs), their form over function towers are an abysmal fail. its likely that I am in the minority, however, as it appears that all manufacturers are going to a two point, aft mounted tower....
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       05-25-2011, 3:07 PM Reply   
I wanted a boat where I could just push 4 rocker switches, drop the wedge, and have a consistent, huge, non-tempermental wake
X 1oo
Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-25-2011, 3:13 PM Reply   
How fast did u ride chatt? I ride 75ft at 23.8 behind my friends 230 with 3500 lbs and the wake is nasty
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-25-2011, 3:26 PM Reply   
Chattwake - I don't think we have our 230 "dialed" quite yet, but we are super close. This is where we are at so far (when it's just me and my friend) and it seems to be pretty much perfect:
*Removed the factory hard tanks, and replaced them with a Fly High 1100 Jumbo VDrive sac on each side of the engine both full, and then drain about 75 pounds out of the Starboard bag
*Factory Center tank full
*375 pound Fly High tube sac in the bow walk way
*1100 pound Fly High Triangle sac on the bow seats
*440 pound VDrive Sac running from the driver seat up into the bow walk way (runs into the previously mentioned 375 pound tube sac)
*440 pound VDrive Sac against the back rear seats
*120 in lead + two anchors under the port seats

We put the hydrogate at Vertical, ride at 26.5 mph at 87 feet.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-25-2011, 3:40 PM Reply   
I rode 75ft at between 23.6 and 24. The closest we got to a consistent slammed wake was 2 1000lb surf sacs filled to about 750lbs each in the rear lockers, a 1000lb bow triangle in the front, factory full and a 500lb sac in the middle of the boat with the hydrogate back. Set up like that, the wake would be big and clean for one or two passes ts and hs, and would, inevitably, wash or roll right as you approached the wake from time to time. I had numerous instances over the last year of my riding where, on a ts w2w or crow the wake rolled on me and I took absolutely horrible falls. With the guys I know that ride at 80ft+, the would ride at 24.5 or faster, and they had similar issues. We learned that, by cutting a certain way away from the boat and back towards the boat, we could minimize the wash/rolling issue, but it was still there, and for my friends who weren't used to riding like that, it was aggravating. If the water was choppy at all or it was windy at all, the problems I had were exascerbated. Have you not experienced these issues at all?
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-25-2011, 3:42 PM Reply   
Jay,

Sounds like the answer you found was just to ride much faster and further out. I'll admit that I never tried riding over 80ft and faster than 24.5. I was just not comfortable doing so. Perhaps the increased spead reduced the boat's propensity to roll left or right and cause wash during a set.
Old     (tdc_worm)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-25-2011, 3:50 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeshmoe View Post
I wanted a boat where I could just push 4 rocker switches, drop the wedge, and have a consistent, huge, non-tempermental wake
X 1oo
i dont understand why people want to turn it in to a dikc measuring contest, but if we must:

i wanted a boat where i could PUSH 3 SWITCHES, have an extra 2800 lbs of ballast over stock, face the action the way movie theaters, classrooms, and living rooms are set up (but they dont know what they are doing when it comes to your viewing pleasure), not have to drag something that will catch one of our many submerged obstacles in TX, and offer myself options when it comes to seating arrangements.

you have 5 switches, i have 3; you have one seat facing the action, i have 4; you have the capability of hanging your wedge on something, i do not; you have one seating configuration, i have 20 different options on my 230, your wake is always perfectly balanced, i have to hit a switch for 15 seconds to perfectly balance mine. looks like 3 out of the 4 criteria you listed favor me.

i actually hate all boats, they all have their huge shortcomings. if it were only myself and one other person on a boat, it would be either an old X Star (2002 or prior). if i could find a way to build a boat with Malibus upholstery, CCs seating options, MCs billet aluminum work, Calabria's interior space, Skier's Choice trailers (boatmate), then i still would be able to build the boat you want...that's why there are so many viable options out there....
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       05-25-2011, 3:56 PM Reply   
Chatt - sounds possibly like your issues could have been perfect pass related????
I had those problems with my 06 supreme, then switched to rpm mode & I was set.
All 230's ive been in - we dont ride anywhere sub 25mph.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-25-2011, 5:30 PM Reply   
Tdc. In fairness, if something's going to catch the wedge while you're riding, it's going to take out your prop first. Also, the A22 does have a seat that moves forward so that three people can sit across and watch the rider, much like the 230 jump seat. Although the A22 seat does not have a seat back when pulled forward. I have suggested that that be remedied... Also, the A22 has a chillax seat that flips up to fill the space between the driver and the passenger in the ob seat so another person can sit facing the rider next to the driver. No, the A22 does not have a nice removeable seatback in the middle of the port side seating or behind the driver. Sooooooooooo, with the exception of the seat backs mentioned previously, the A22 actually accomodates people sitting facing the rider much like the 230 does. Also, the bow is much much roomier on the A22, and with the chillax seatbacks that open forward and backward, plus being able to move the bench seat forward, the A22 has virtually the same seating options. For what that's worth.

Is the 230 a sick ass boat? Hell yeah. I love that boat. I just didn't love the wake issues I had. Is it worth the coin? I guess that depends on how much you can afford and what your priorities are. I had three in a row and learned those boats inside and out, but switched to something different because, in my situation, I with my wants and needs, I couldn't justify the price tag anymore.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-25-2011, 5:32 PM Reply   
MIguel, I did have problems with the zero off on my '08 and '09. It would cut out intermittently, but they upgraded the software and the antenna for 2010. My 2010 did have less issues with the wake, but the washing issue was still present too much for my tastes. It sounds like I just rode too short and too slow for that boat when weighed heavy.
Old     (tdc_worm)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-25-2011, 8:12 PM Reply   
chatt----

wasnt trying to go there. the thread was "nautique likes/dislikes" i thought we were illustrating that well....i am the biggest critic around. the post i was addressing was"i chose a different boat for these superior reasons" which was outside of the scope of this conversation. i think CC has its faults as do all manufactureres. i also think that CCs market share will decline because of their marketing, subtle appearance, and price of entry.

i will tell you that if you can afford the price of entry for a $100k CC, then the more power to you...they are way overpriced. i will also tell you that my local dealer has a 2007 236 for sale for 10k more than i paid for mine new....i paid roughly the price of the Supra equivalent.

what's that mean? nothing. they are luxury items...and i can promise you that the boat doesnt make the rider or the atmosphere....thats up to you and me....
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-26-2011, 4:34 AM Reply   
TDC, sounds like you're sitting pretty on your used price. That's another thing to point out. With CC's yearly price increases, if you can get a steal of a deal on a used 210 or 230, those boats will hold their values over time.
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-26-2011, 6:33 AM Reply   
Like: interior seating, tilt cargo bimini, trash can ha.
Dislike: Price, old looking hull (I know don't change what isn't broken), tower options, speaker not recessed on 210.

Agree with TDC that each boat has it's pros/cons and get what fits you.
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       05-27-2011, 1:12 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattwake View Post
I rode 75ft at between 23.6 and 24. The closest we got to a consistent slammed wake was 2 1000lb surf sacs filled to about 750lbs each in the rear lockers, a 1000lb bow triangle in the front, factory full and a 500lb sac in the middle of the boat with the hydrogate back. Set up like that, the wake would be big and clean for one or two passes ts and hs, and would, inevitably, wash or roll right as you approached the wake from time to time. I had numerous instances over the last year of my riding where, on a ts w2w or crow the wake rolled on me and I took absolutely horrible falls. With the guys I know that ride at 80ft+, the would ride at 24.5 or faster, and they had similar issues. We learned that, by cutting a certain way away from the boat and back towards the boat, we could minimize the wash/rolling issue, but it was still there, and for my friends who weren't used to riding like that, it was aggravating. If the water was choppy at all or it was windy at all, the problems I had were exascerbated. Have you not experienced these issues at all?
chattwake: I really think the problem was your driver. the one annoying thing about the 230 is that its weight sensitive. all vert wakes seem to be, like the old 210. What I find happens is that a driver tries to keep the boat straigt, but when a rider cuts out, the boat will lean to the rider. The drivers compensate by turning the other direction, when the rider begins his edge, the boat now leans to the other side, creating a washy wake. I ask my drivers to just apply a touch of tention to the steering weal to the side that the rider is approching. not enough to turn the boat,but enough to guarentee that you wont roll the other way. wake is perfect every time.

My friends malibu lsv has no problem. he can have 10 people, moving around, not ballanced at all, and his wake is fine. but its also a very wide, rampy wake. I will deal with teaching drivers how to drive my boat to get its wake. it really has spoiled me.
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       05-27-2011, 1:26 AM Reply   
I really love the 230 wake. I love out of a huge boat, I can get a 21' boats width, but with just so much more mass. It wasnt that long ago where arguably the old 210 wake was considered the best wake (granted it was a love or hate). but I would bet more people on here said i was their favorite vs any other boat. The wake WAS that different. It was vertical with massive pop. most other boats all had varying degrees of good wakes, but non were a 210.

now that its an old boat, people dont talk about it anymore, but its still what I like in a wake. to me the 230 is the new top wake.its relatively narrow, very vert (not quite 210 vert, but vert). and there is just so much mass behind the face when that mass forces back at you,you boot!

boats and wakes have gone pretty homoginized. they are all good enough boats, with good enogh wakes, that you cannot go wrong., but one does stand above others for people who dont want a long ramp, but instead want a water trampoline.
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       05-27-2011, 1:29 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chexi View Post
I'll take my "dated" 2000 SAN, or even my former 1999 Air, neither of look dated to me. Timeless classics.

The seats are too low. They could get more storage space by adding a few more inches of vertical height on the seat bases.
to me, that was the pinnicle of wakeboard boats. clean lines, functional, solid, and killer wake
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-27-2011, 5:38 AM Reply   
After reading this thread it sounds like Nautis are 100K plus and the other brands are half of that.
When I was looking in 08-09 I found all the top brands were pretty close when comparing apples to apples . You have to add the upgrades to the cheaper brands to compare it to the higher end brands . Just because the List price is 100K that doesn't mean that is what you will pay. If you are talking about the highest priced brand NOBODY beats MasterCraft.
Old     (jpods22)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-27-2011, 6:03 AM Reply   
I have read alot of opinions about Nautiques. Let me just be the first grateful wakeboarder and say we should just be happy we have more then one great wakeboat brand to choose from. Everyone has there opinion on any topic. I think the WakeWorld knows the story on not just Nautiques, but every wakeboat. I like this thread, dont get me wrong. I just wanted to go a different route and what needs to be said. If someone wants to give me a brand new 230, I'll take it. You put 4 different 2011's in front of me and ask me to choose? Wow, all great boats and each have there OWN FLAVOR.....there own wake. there own seating, hull, touchscreen, tower. I like seeing all these different boat brands! Nautique does there own thing and I cant say it looks ugly. haha. Love Nautiques.
Old     (jcollinge)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-27-2011, 6:39 AM Reply   
Quote:
to me, that was the pinnicle of wakeboard boats. clean lines, functional, solid, and killer wake
Ya I love my '06 210. But I'm looking forward to riding on your sled today...
Old     (Texan)      Join Date: May 2011       05-27-2011, 7:41 AM Reply   
Price Price Price.... have you guys plugged into the boat market lately? For everyone's knowledge see below. No options added just grabbing stock 2011 pricing.

Nada Pricing:

2011 SANTE 210: $81,100

2011 Mastercraft X star: $86,800

2011 Malibu Wakesetter LSV: $79,300

2011 Moomba Mobius Gravity: $54,400

Supra Launch 22V/SK: $69,250

2011 Tige RZ2: $88, 400

2011 Axis A22: $54,000

2011 Epic 21V: $60,000
Old    mojo            05-27-2011, 7:57 AM Reply   
Only thing I like about the new 210s over the old ones is size and ability to watch the rider without craning. In agree with others that other cheaper boats have goodnwakes non, but in the past that wasn't the case.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-27-2011, 8:15 AM Reply   
Always been a Nautique fan personally. Have owned three and all were great. My only beef with Nautique was that they ever put into production this boat
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-27-2011, 8:18 AM Reply   
sorry if any of you have one of these, but damn this is an ugly boat.
Attached Images

Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-27-2011, 11:16 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan View Post
Price Price Price.... have you guys plugged into the boat market lately? For everyone's knowledge see below. No options added just grabbing stock 2011 pricing.

Nada Pricing:

2011 SANTE 210: $81,100

2011 Malibu Wakesetter LSV: $79,300

2011 Moomba Mobius Gravity: $54,400

Supra Launch 22V/SK: $69,250

2011 Tige RZ2: $88, 400

2011 Axis A22: $54,000

2011 Epic 21V: $60,000
I can tell you from shopping all the 2011 boats those prices aren't accurate base prices.MY boat has every option you can get except for 2nd heater,shower,salt water pkg.,cockpit table,bow lights,and chart plotting.ALL of which wouldn,t add 1000 dollars to it and i didn't pay anywhere near that price.Nor did i see that much spread in prices.It's also interesting you compare a 21' Nautique and epic to everyone else's 22 footers.What happened to apples to apples?
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       05-27-2011, 12:53 PM Reply   
So, which boat is going to drop the most in value?

Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       05-28-2011, 5:36 AM Reply   
Something strange I noticed about Nautiques prior to some new ones I've recently seen is that the older ones have 3 platform brackets and a stainless rubrail around the platform, new Nautiques that I have seen have 2 (which is enough) and no rubrail around the platform , I also do not get the speakers mounted flush into the backs of the seats on the 210's. I wonder if there are some other things that have been done to save a little $ that I've missed. The prices do not seem to have gone down.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       05-28-2011, 5:49 AM Reply   
"So, which boat is going to drop the most in value?

2011 Mastercraft X star: $86,800"

You're smoking crack.
Old     (jcollinge)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-28-2011, 7:20 AM Reply   
Dizzy's wake is dialed. Huge and a perfect shape on both sides...
Old     (peettee79)      Join Date: Sep 2010       05-28-2011, 6:01 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake77 View Post
"So, which boat is going to drop the most in value?

2011 Mastercraft X star: $86,800"

You're smoking crack.
From what ive seen MCs hold their value better than every brand, well here in australia anyways.
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       06-01-2011, 7:36 PM Reply   
thanks puckhead

btw, masters was pulled by a 230. look at the harley vid. wake looks clean to me.
Old     (beretta5spd)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-01-2011, 10:58 PM Reply   
Quote:
thanks puckhead

btw, masters was pulled by a 230. look at the harley vid. wake looks clean to me.
hey this is coming from a nautique fan here....

I love the 230 and 210 wake... however watch Rusty's run from wake games. It seems it was having issues that day. It can be finicky, and they aren't the only brand like that. But when they are dialed the nautique wakes are top notch.
Old     (beretta5spd)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-01-2011, 11:09 PM Reply   
i found the vid of that run:

check out the moby at 0:50.... lots of wash there , then I love how Rusty cuts out real hard to bring the boat over his way after the transfer box to set up for the crow 5, switch toe 9 (saying it in your head with rusty's accent makes it that much better) at 1:18 looks like he was hitting a curb.

Like I say, I LOVE the boat and love the wake when it's dialed. Unfortunately it doesn't take much to get it off.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-02-2011, 5:24 AM Reply   
I'd say that video epitomizes what I got out of my 230's in terms of wake. Every few times I'd cut in, the wake would wash like crazy. I'm no Rusty, and when the wake does that right when I try to hit it, bad things happened to me every time.
Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-02-2011, 5:59 AM Reply   
The wake is washy and inconsistent @ OWC because of the depth of the lake more so than the boat characteristics. The same thing happened behind the Supra @ Worlds last year. I asked one of the pro riders about why this happens & that was the explanation I got. I've had good wakes behind the 230 on that lake, but with only the driver and the judges in the boat (+ loaded ballast). When they add 3 to 5 more people is when it starts getting all washed out.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-02-2011, 6:48 AM Reply   
I should clarify that, again, I only experienced the wash issues when loading the boat with more than 1k over factory ballast.
Old     (beretta5spd)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-02-2011, 7:01 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakekat15 View Post
The wake is washy and inconsistent @ OWC because of the depth of the lake more so than the boat characteristics. The same thing happened behind the Supra @ Worlds last year. I asked one of the pro riders about why this happens & that was the explanation I got. I've had good wakes behind the 230 on that lake, but with only the driver and the judges in the boat (+ loaded ballast). When they add 3 to 5 more people is when it starts getting all washed out.

I didn't want to start with Supra in this thread but since it was brought up....

I regularly ride behind a 22ssv with 4K ballast. Ride at the slowest speed to keep the wake clean and that's around 24.2 mph. The Supra has an amazing wake in my opinion for size, shape. But the boat is very finicky with side to side weight and will wash the same way the Nautique does.

Last edited by beretta5spd; 06-02-2011 at 7:02 AM. Reason: fixed wording