Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (MIZwrestlingZOU)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-06-2011, 3:46 PM Reply   
I am currently looking into getting a new boat. Was looking at the 2011 versions of most of the usual suspects. Live on a lake that gets really rough and want to be able to take out the boat to cruise also so I'm sticking with boats around 24'. I have looked into the Tige Rz4, mastercraft x45, malibu wakesetter 247, and the supra launch 242. I mostly wakeboard but also surf. When we do surf its usually on the goofy side and i have heard some boats struggle with getting a good wake. Anyone out there with some help would be greatly appreciated.

I already have additional sacs from my last boat too.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-06-2011, 4:37 PM Reply   
ridden behind all but the Rz4....

Immediately when I saw the title of your thread I thought of the supra 24ssv. big boat, solid in chop, and a GREAT wake. Really great compared to the rest of the 24 footers ( malibu 247 and x-45) imo. Rode it in a comp, heavily weighted but all hidden, no sacks on the floor or in the bow. It was great. Never driven it though so cant comment on that. the interior set up with rear facing seats is a plus too.

The only thing is I know nothing about the surf wave and cant remember hearing anything about them when guys comment on great surf waves.

Malibu. ridden behind it with full ballast 1250, wedge, and another 1000 lbs. its a great shape, but it needed another 2-3000 lbs to make it great, i think. It rides chop EXCELLENT, drives "malibu" nice, especially for such a big boat. The interior is huge, standard wrap around seating. Surf wave with 1100's in the locker and another 400 sack on the seat and 4 people was really nice. Iam regular foot and rode the goofy side backside and switch stance, had nice long pocket, not a surfer, so dont take my word. owner rides regular and it looked great from the boat. owner complained about the carpeted interior wishing he had snap in. said he has to shampoo it yearly to get the mold smell out. I know malibu offers a carpet floor runner, highly recommend that.

x45. wakeboarding wake was wide and steep. rode with 3 people and stock ballast and it was small and wide. it was also really weight sensitive, which surprised me for how little weight we were running. I did not like it at all, and from videos and pics of the pros sponsored by mastercraft and not really seeing them ride the x45, I think I am in the majority. surf wave was really nice with just stock ballast and 3 people on regular side. I pulled the owner on the goofy side, did not ride it. not real big but a great shape, imagine it is nice with more weight. it handled sluggishly, even more so than the xstar. big and solid, handled the chop very well. snap out carpet was nice. interior nice, standard wrap around seating. huge bow, cabin "felt" smaller than the malibu and probably was because malibu is another 7" or so and has a smaller bow.

tige- had a old 2200v but never ridden or surfed any other tige. Guys here on WW love tige surf waves, don't hear much about their wakes though. (cue the pic of the blue and white tige with comments from robert about how amazing the wave and wakes are !! j/k robert, but seriously.

rankings in my opinion:

wake= supra
wave= malibu
handling, turning, chop = malibu (did not drive supra)
interior comfort = malibu
interior size= malibu
interior design= supra
interior cleaning= mastercraft )snap in carpet)
piggy backing additional sacks= I believe all 4 have plug n play style systems ready to go
bang for buck= supra
forward exterior design that looks great in blue and white= tige

have fun, your in a great dilemma to have to pick between those 4
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       09-06-2011, 5:15 PM Reply   
The main thing to consider when you say "best" wakeboarding wake in a 24ft or even 23ft boat is at what speed do you wakeboard and ballast? If you like to wakeboard at 21-22mph or slower then finding a 24ft boat with clean wakes on BOTH sides will be hard to find. Once you get in the 23+mph the wakes will definitely clean up. Also, if you take out beginners or kids then the washed out wake of a big boat is not a good teaching environment. Just food for thought...don't know what your crew is made up of or your riding ability but you did say you had another boat before.

Last edited by you_da_man; 09-06-2011 at 5:17 PM.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-06-2011, 5:44 PM Reply   
Well i can't offer alot of help as i have only wakeboarded behind the Malibu and Tige.To me they are very similar only the Tige takes less weight to make a wake[because of convex v hull and taps].The Malibu seems roomier inside even compared to Tige's 24ve.I have seen the Supra at a boat show and i was very impressed with interior room.A boat you might want to check out and demo is the NEW TIGE Z3.This is the first year for this new hull and i hear good things,but remember i have Tige tuned ears.As for the Mastercraft i'm not familiar with the X45,BUT all the mastercrafts i've ridden behind had great wakes.Supras i've ridden behind had good wakes,but a little steep for my old legs,i prefer a rampy wake.You may also want to consider Nautique as they make a excellent boat too.
Old     (Shorpy)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-06-2011, 7:11 PM Reply   
It's like deja vu all over again...

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showt...42#post1705742
Old     (jason95gt)      Join Date: May 2006       09-07-2011, 8:52 AM Reply   
Go for the NEW 2012 X-Star. 24' long with 101" beam.