Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 10, 2007

Old     (forenku)      Join Date: May 2007       08-20-2007, 6:46 AM Reply   
It seems as if every time I go out wakeboarding I end up hurting something. This week it is my shoulder, I'm having trouble raising my right arm above my head. Last week I blew my ear drum. I've hurt my knee and had concussions. Don't get me wrong, I love wakeboarding, but there are so many possible injuries. Does anyone else feel like this? I played golf in college where I never had injuries. Not as much of a rush though.
Old     (grant_l_22)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-20-2007, 7:07 AM Reply   
ya i do haha,i broke my caller bone and it sounds like u did the same if u cant get it above ur head u either did tht or dislocated it i coudent move mine good when i broke it u need to get it checkd
Old     (forenku)      Join Date: May 2007       08-20-2007, 7:18 AM Reply   
Yikes I hope not although, I don't think it is broken because I can get it above my head, but I have to do it very slowly and it hurts really bad. I just can't straighten it above my head at this point. It almost feels like my rotator cup, which wouldn't be a good thing either. At first I thought it was dislocated because I couldn't even use it to get my bindings off.
Old     (partyb)      Join Date: Dec 2001       08-20-2007, 7:28 AM Reply   
Golf? Weird, I don't know how you didn't experience a similar injury pattern? (sarcasm added) Seriously though dude, try going to the gym and getting some lessons prior to trying something that is over your ability level. I think those two suggestions will solve most of your problems. Poor fundamentals and being out of shape causes most wakeboard injuries, IMO.
Old     (forenku)      Join Date: May 2007       08-20-2007, 7:40 AM Reply   
Actually I go to the gym all the time and have been for a long time. I'm in really good shape I will agree with you Brian that I have bad fundatmentals with wakeboarding. I think another part of it is that I may try tricks that I should not be trying at my skill level.
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-20-2007, 7:59 AM Reply   
.......hey tommy.....thats how my wakeboarding started 8 years ago first 2-3 years with lots of injuries. Its like brian says don't do stuff if you cant do a basic trick before you try a harder one...for example dont try a wake to wake 180 if you cant bunny hop to switch or do a one wake 180. To stay injury free you need to progress step by step .....it takes longer but is safer...also just because you landed something once doesn't mean you should move on...you should be able to do it all the time and then your body mind and nerves are all in synch ready for the next step.
I also layed off the gym when I board, once or twice a week max and only light weights. When I was hitting the weights hard I would pull all kind of muscles when falling. I believe that came from just too much stress on the body, it can handle only so much.
Old     (forenku)      Join Date: May 2007       08-20-2007, 8:10 AM Reply   
Hey Michael I think you are correct. I do try tricks that I know I have no business even thinking about right now. I like to show off and I'll see someone do something and I'll say the hell with it and feel I have to give it a go. The first time I won't feel any pain when I don't land it and I may get what I thought was close, so I'll keep trying it the rest of the day until I land it or get hurt, which explains my injuries each week. I kind of knew why I was getting hurt, but is nobody else like this out there?
Old     (kgarr1986)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-20-2007, 8:49 AM Reply   
hey man i had the same thing with my shoulder. its a possible torn rotator cuff, but if you can still raise it slowly, its more likely to be just strained, heat, ice, rest
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       08-20-2007, 8:58 AM Reply   
Tommy, I am with you. 4 summers ago I was chucking tantrums repeatedly trying to land them. Bailed like 15 times in one set....hard, and kept at it. I ended up learning them 2 summers ago, but then tore MCL on one, so got scared off. Then tried HS backrolls...got a nasty nasty concussion that put me off the water for 3 months...scared me off. Then learned HS 360, then HS 360 to concussion scared me off. I just started learning everything switch now and doing 180s and grabs because I don't get hurt...and at 33 being able to go to work the next day is frankly more important than growing my trick list. It actually became more fun for me again when I quit saying, "I have to learn this trick this summer."
Old     (eas)      Join Date: Nov 2001       08-20-2007, 9:15 AM Reply   
"c-A-ll-E-r" bone and rotator "cu-P"? sorry...that's funny.

but on a serious not...do you stretch before you ride? try it...or swim a few laps around the boat to loosen up. it seems that my joints get hurt from sitting around on the boat for a while and then trying to jump (literally) into my set. somebody once said..."I'm too old for this shizz"
Old     (eas)      Join Date: Nov 2001       08-20-2007, 9:20 AM Reply   
p.s. I can definitely see where Loren is coming from....I will still try new stuff and push myself (to an extent) but I definitely think more about the consequences of coming up short these days.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-20-2007, 9:22 AM Reply   
This is an x-sport and injury is a risk when pushing yourself. Most of us have had similar pains, strains, and tears. At least this sport isn't as bad as MX - you push yourself too hard there and really bad things can happen.

Work on fundamentals first. When trying something new, give yourself 3 falls. Maybe a few more if you are really close. More falls than 3 or so then you start developing muscle memory for doing the trick incorrectly and because you are getting more fatigued you are more likely to get injured.

Ohh, Naproxen should be your friend. 440Mg twice a day with food.
Old     (iukekini)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-20-2007, 9:46 AM Reply   
Stretch! I used to be sore every time after every set and would constantly pull muscles and tweak joints. Now I stretch before and after every set and stretch every night and unless I take bad digger I am never sore anymore.
Old    oldman1025            08-20-2007, 9:57 AM Reply   
no pain no gain. stereo typical but you can't get better unless you push yourself
Old     (forenku)      Join Date: May 2007       08-20-2007, 10:12 AM Reply   
I hear ya. I need to start stretching I think that is important and is something I don't do at all right now. I have tons of fun trying new tricks and I do push myself to the max a lot, maybe too much at my skill level. How many of you do new tricks to show off. I do it to show off because the people in the boat love to see something new at my expense (getting hurt), but is also a lot of fun to try a new trick and when I do finally pull it off it's great. I have some buddies that come out that do the same old crap every week and don't seem to get better and are not exciting to watch. That's ok if they are having fun, but it's not that fun to watch them.
Old     (biglap)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-20-2007, 10:51 AM Reply   
First, I think that being in shape is fundamental!!! Second, learning to fall and be able to stay relax during the falls should help!!! Third, don't go ahead your skills and hope!!!

Knees looks hard to protect...
For ear drums, there's cap or just wear helmet with ear protection!!! INJURy S U C K S !!!
Old     (dreambig)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-20-2007, 11:20 AM Reply   
1 Word Wakesurfing! Super fun and you dont get hurt or at least not as often