Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Dman726749)      Join Date: May 2012       04-10-2014, 2:58 PM Reply   
So I picked up my 2013 a20 today, and when I got home and tried to back the boat into the driveway, the reverse lockout didn't work, I had to use the stupid little key to block the slider to get the boat out of the street and in the drive.

I verified that the truck is not the problem, Looked over all the wires in the folding tongue, nothing looks busted.

Where do I go next?
Old     (snork)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-10-2014, 3:20 PM Reply   
Do you get the clear back up light when in reverse?
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       04-10-2014, 4:25 PM Reply   
That was my first thought also. Put the truck in reverse and see if the backup lights on the trailer come on. I had the same issue last print and it was my truck even though I didn't think so as everything else worked.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-10-2014, 5:57 PM Reply   
If the reverse lights come on it should. It lock. Make sure you do not have corrosion on your trucks plug. Also what brand truck?
Old     (Dman726749)      Join Date: May 2012       04-10-2014, 7:18 PM Reply   
2006 f150 I am going to grab some dielectric grease tomorrow to make sure everything is connecting well and try again....
Old     (mcdye)      Join Date: Apr 2009       04-11-2014, 5:28 AM Reply   
1) As other have mentioned if you trailer backup lights do they light up?
2) You can use a test light to the blue wire near the solenoid to make sure it is getting juice. Or try and feel it energize when someone puts the vehicle in reverse. (vehicle not running)
3) My 2013 BM quit working shortly after purchase, same thing could not backup without the key. It was the solenoid, the plunger inside is normally closed and is opened up in reverse to allow fluid bypass. After getting the replacement, I took apart the old solenoid and the rubber on the plunger had mushroomed not allowing it to fully open when energized.

Last edited by mcdye; 04-11-2014 at 5:31 AM. Reason: update
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-11-2014, 6:00 AM Reply   
I know some axis trailers do not have reverse lights, so he may not have those. My thought is to check all of the terminals for corrosion closely on the vehicle. I had an 07 Denali that, if I didn't jam that plug in there just right and wiggle it every time, my reverse lights did not come on.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-11-2014, 12:39 PM Reply   
#1 check all the fuses on your truck under the hood that are labeled anything with TRL or Trailer
#2 Are you using a direct 7pin round or are you using an adapter from 5 flat to 7 round?
-If you have a flat 5 pin you can do a work around and flip the plug and turn on the headlights of the truck to trick the system
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-11-2014, 5:38 PM Reply   
There is a bad run of solenoids right now. My brand new trailer had it bad from the factory. 10 Minute change and it is good as new.
Old     (brichter14)      Join Date: Jul 2010       04-11-2014, 5:48 PM Reply   
I got an 05 f150 and i had to get a 5 prong adapter to fit the circular trailer reciever to get it to not lock out.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-11-2014, 6:42 PM Reply   
I had the same problem with a new Boatmate trailer back in 2012. They ended up having to replace the actuator or solenoid...can't remember specifically.
Old     (Dman726749)      Join Date: May 2012       04-12-2014, 8:14 AM Reply   
I am using the 7 pin round plug that came factory with my tow package. Checked all the fuses (first thing I checked). The I used a test light to make sure I was getting power at the plug on the truck. Trailer does not have reverse lights. Everything worked great when I put the boat away in November.

Going to clean the terminals real good today, and if that doesn't do anything I am going to get the test light back out and see if the actuator is indeed getting power....
Old     (snork)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-12-2014, 8:23 AM Reply   
If youre backing up on an incline that could be problematic too
Old     (Dman726749)      Join Date: May 2012       04-12-2014, 3:48 PM Reply   
cleaned and tightened the pins, added some dielectric grease and she is working again! Thanks for all the tips everyone!
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-15-2014, 6:39 PM Reply   
I expected to find this thread to be a discussion about the bunk supports breaking through the trailer crossmembers. Check those for cracks or broken welds, it happens to lots of them.