Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       03-19-2013, 5:48 AM Reply   
Any body have any wetsuit advice? Ill be graduating school and moving back home, and back to the boat, in the spring. I have only needed a top before considering a mid may-late August season. Since now my season will be running from when they raise the water about 2 weeks after ice out in late April to late October when they let the water down I figure it's time for a full suit...
I was looking at an xcel 3/2 chest zip because a friend who surfs Aton recommended it considering they're supposed to be super soft and flexible and is on sale for a pretty cool 150 bones.
Any one hae experience with them or know of any other good budget friendly recommendations?

And no I'm not interested in a dry suit. Water doesn't come up until well after ice out and just about during turnover.
Thanks guys, you da best!
Old     (Greg2223)      Join Date: Dec 2011       03-19-2013, 6:27 AM Reply   
I have the Oneill Heat 4/3 wetsuit. And im never going to buy anything else. Suit it super flexible, extremely warm and the most comfortable suit I have ever wore. Highly recommend it.
Old     (JayManAR)      Join Date: Dec 2012       03-19-2013, 7:17 AM Reply   
Thanks for posting this simplej. I'm also trying to decide on a suit, most likely a full 3/2 or a long sleeve shorty. I've been keeping my eye on the billabong sgx line and already have an oneil hyperfreak top. Just looking for something to extend the season on those really cold days.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-19-2013, 8:47 AM Reply   
I just use a 3/2 north of the boarder once I'm out of my drysuit. Your other option is to also buy a neoprene heater top to wear underneath or over top of your wet suit. It's double the layers but I don't find it restricting at all. With both layers on your upper body will barely even get wet.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       03-19-2013, 9:34 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrider View Post
I just use a 3/2 north of the boarder once I'm out of my drysuit. Your other option is to also buy a neoprene heater top to wear underneath or over top of your wet suit. It's double the layers but I don't find it restricting at all. With both layers on your upper body will barely even get wet.
it doesnt get THAT cold... again used first few weeks of may when the water and air are in the 50s and last weeks of october/september when temps dip back into the same, although during a super cold snap that could work if i was feeling ambitious...
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-19-2013, 12:04 PM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=796180

Here's a thread I started and ended up getting a XCEL Hawaii 4/3 Infiniti Full Zip for 139.00 shipped off whiskeymilitia.com. Sign up for there private stash that's where I found this one. I've been real happy.
Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-19-2013, 8:55 AM Reply   
You can't go wrong with xcel. I absolutely love my 3/2 x zip. As a matter of fact, I just purchased another one as a thank you for a friend who is doing a weekend's worth of tile work for me. As far as prices go, I've never seen any lower than Whiskey Militia. If anyone has any experience with the xcelerator smooth skin top I'd be interested in hearing about it. I think the zipper in the back will make the top last longer than usual, as mine tend to tear across the back from being pulled on and off so many times.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       03-19-2013, 12:13 PM Reply   
I got a bargain on a 4/3 suit and I have not used my drysuit since. New suits are unbelievable. They are so flexy that a 4/3 is no problem and the extra warmth is significant. My Psycho 2 4/3 was essentially a drysuit for the first 2 seasons and it is on year 4 still super warm.

--Justin H.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       03-19-2013, 2:50 PM Reply   
Xcel chest-zip suits are amazing. Main thing is that the seams are taped and sealed so water takes a while to absorb into the suit instead of rushing in like those cheapy suits most weekend warriors have that use glued and stiched seams. Also, the higher end suits like Xcel use better zippers to prevent water flushing. You made a great choice.
Old     (MCObray)      Join Date: Mar 2013       03-19-2013, 3:13 PM Reply   
I'll be staying tuned on these reviews/suggestions, as I am contemplating a wetsuit purchase for the coming months. Keep them coming!
Old     (Fx4210)      Join Date: Feb 2013       03-25-2013, 4:09 PM Reply   
I picked up a billabong 4/3 chest zip FOIL for $90 from seshday.com. Seems to be an awesome deal on a great full suit that would fit your needs, if you can find one somewhere else . . . they are sold out of that one but they still have a Billabong 3/2 Foil GBS Back Zip Wetsuit for $75 plus shipping. Since you aren't needing it all year in 50 degree water I think it would fit your needs.
Old     (username)      Join Date: Apr 2008       03-25-2013, 4:15 PM Reply   
My advice would be to not buy one from Umali.
Old     (bschall)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-25-2013, 9:13 PM Reply   
I wear a Oniell RG8 3/2 that I snagged at the Oniell outlet for around 200. I wore it all winter her in Norcal with no problems with the temp and water being in the low 50s. My suit basically keeps me dry when riding thanks to the welded seems which dont let any water in at all.
Old     (shunra)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-25-2013, 9:18 PM Reply   
Another vote here for xcel. I've been using mine for the last 3 years it's still in great shape and I wouldn't buy anything else if I ever had to replace it. Get the one with the sealed seams.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2
Old     (Luker)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-26-2013, 6:53 AM Reply   
i surf in the excel 3/2 x-zip everyday and love it.... i paid 350 for mine tho haha if you really can score one for that price you'd be a fool not to bite
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       03-26-2013, 9:51 AM Reply   
The suit in question is an SLX x zip. as much as i would like a comp x zip 2... thats too much cash
Old     (ReSession)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-10-2013, 10:58 AM Reply   
I just ordered the Xcel SLX X-zip 3/2 myself and hoping to jump in for the first surf session by the end of April - the water temp will likely be in the mid-to-high 40's still (currently 38-39º) so I'll let you know how it works out! The ice just broke up this week in the bay...time to get the Supreme V226 out of storage!!!!
Old     (JayManAR)      Join Date: Dec 2012       04-10-2013, 11:23 AM Reply   
I just ordered the Xcel Infiniti Comp X-Zip2 L/S Springsuit. It's 2mm and is rated for water temps at 60+. Our lake temp was 57 when we were out last Saturday so hoping it will work out perfectly. Anyone else have experience with this suit?
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       04-10-2013, 12:15 PM Reply   
ordered an X-cel SLX x zip 3/2 and it will get here on friday, i will update fit then, it wont see use until early may when i finish finals and the lake level comes up though
Old     (MCObray)      Join Date: Mar 2013       04-10-2013, 12:38 PM Reply   
I ride a Body Glove Pro 3 Full suit. I was out the other weekend, with water temp at 52 degrees, and I was completely comfortable.
Old     (paulharenberg)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-10-2013, 5:34 PM Reply   
+1 for checking out Whiskey Militia, they almost everyday have an excel mens full suit, either 4/3 or 3/2 models for no more than 150, and less for a normally less expensive model.
Old     (Talonsorensen)      Join Date: Apr 2012 Location: Gig harbor Washington       04-10-2013, 10:49 PM Reply   
Np wetsuits! I just got one and they're pretty sweet all welded seems,they even have small flexible shin pads for surfing or anything else you do. They don't hurt and are comfortable and can't even tell they are there! They are a new company, I already like it better then the oniell physcofreak
http://www.npsurf.com/products/wetsu.../overview.html
Old     (okkomatz)      Join Date: Apr 2013       04-17-2013, 7:47 AM Reply   
I use a Oneal 4/3 full suit. It has the option for a regular neck, or a zip in hood. This was the suit I used when surfing off of Virginia Beach, Virginia or Nags Head, North Carolina in January. I jumped in the river two weeks ago in this suit and went for a couple runs and when I got back in the boat I was still warm.. Of course my toes were cold..
Old     (Kane)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-17-2013, 9:25 AM Reply   
I have a Psycho II 3/2 and I've ridden with it in 35F air temp. Wet suit was fine, pretty much dry after taking it off but everything else (feet, hands and head) was freezing. I had brain freeze every time I crashed and my head when under water.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       04-17-2013, 12:59 PM Reply   
figured id update, got my SLX and havent used it yet (water doesnt come back up until early may) but its extremely flexible and comfortable. fit is near perfect, good 150 bucks spent on a high quality suit.