Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 16, 2005

Old    wakegal02            05-05-2005, 6:09 PM Reply   
Ok I admit this is probably a stupid idea, but I'm just daydreaming trying to get some homework done, oh yeah! (Not!)...anywayz I was looking a picture of some guy doing a raley and I started thinking could it be possible to combined wakeboarding and kiteboarding. Kinda have some sort of rigged up thing like a parasail but not that big so that you are still able to ride on the water. Stupid daydream or maybe the future?
Old    drewsky24            05-05-2005, 6:14 PM Reply   
What school do you go to?
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-05-2005, 6:16 PM Reply   
kiteboarding is wakeboarding, with a foil...

we buy our gear from these guys:
www.sskiteboarding.com
Old    wickedwake            05-05-2005, 7:05 PM Reply   
Like a pair of wings that would shoot out of a backpack and keep you in the air longer?
Old    wakegal02            05-05-2005, 7:58 PM Reply   
ya something like that
Old     (salmon_tacos)      Join Date: Jan 2003       05-05-2005, 7:59 PM Reply   
Assuming you know what wakeboarding and kiteboarding are, I can only think of one way to interpret your rather ambiguous post:

Do you mean that the boat tows a kite from which a rope extends down to the rider? If so, I suppose it would be possible but probably not very practical. You'd need a lot of space for something like that because of the extra rope length and trying to turn around with a kite in tow. I also think the rider would have a tough time taking advantage of the wake or getting a good hard edge and release like they would with cable or kiteboarding. Who knows though?

Maybe I'll file this one away under "things to try on the lake when I get really bored." The only other thing in there right now is wakeboarding with a really long (200+ ft.) rope.
Old     (midwestrider)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-06-2005, 5:46 AM Reply   
I think it might be a fun idea, you could call it paraboarding! Assuming you could retrieve and deploy the chute, or at least control it, think how much farther into the flats you could take your jumps...

Jb
Old    wakegal02            05-06-2005, 2:31 PM Reply   
the reason behind this maybe impossible idea is that both sports have their disadvantages. Kiteboarding-you need lots of wind, unless your in Hawaii you gotta be lucky. Wakeboarding- you spend half as much time in the air than you would if you were kiteboarding. one way i can think of that may be practical is if someone invents a board that allows you sick air time without hindering the ability to edge or maneuver.
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-06-2005, 4:17 PM Reply   
I think that it would be possible if you had a kite with a short line that attached around the waist that would be behind you. You could board normally, but there would be issues with the drag of the kite and doing inverts.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-07-2005, 12:58 AM Reply   
you know youve been playing too much wakeboarding unleashed when.....
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       05-07-2005, 9:02 AM Reply   
There's no foil involved with kite boarding?
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-07-2005, 10:51 AM Reply   
no foil? what do you kite with steve? doesn't matter i guess, so how about we rephrase it as a sail with integral struts and inflatable leading edge baffle---how's that?

and of course, we wrap all our lunch burritos in foil when we pack for kiting trips...

our family loves the sport, we have been kiting for almost four years and my wife and i have been sailboarding for close to twenty. we hit the gorge (just down the road from you) almost every other weekend during season and snow kite in the off season.

every pro we have ever ridden with or been around refers to their kite as a foil, sail, rig, etc...? my bad...

(Message edited by h20jnky on May 07, 2005)
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       05-07-2005, 12:19 PM Reply   
I imagined a foil as in air chairing and what Laird Hamilton uses on his foil surfboard. I've kiteboarded before (Not with much success) and was not aware they referred to the kite as a foil? Is that really correct? I'm not that into the sport.
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-07-2005, 12:47 PM Reply   
yeah, i guess that was the wrong choice of words on my part... wanted to create an easy visual for those not familiar. however, one of my older kites a 7.7, is a "flexi foil" model, so it must be used somewhere in kiteboarding?

laird hamilton rips...