Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 18, 2009

Old    petey20            02-22-2009, 12:49 PM Reply   
How much do you think it would cost for the purchase and installation of PP Star Gazer Wake Edition from a Mastercraft dealership? I have a 2000 X-Star.

How hard is it to intall it yourself?

Thanks!
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-22-2009, 12:54 PM Reply   
not hard to install yourself at all. dealer will want probably around $500, maybe a bit more, bit less i think.
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       02-22-2009, 1:27 PM Reply   
Bruce, you got the computer, gauge, and GPS for + or - $500? Where?
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-22-2009, 2:20 PM Reply   
sorry, i thought he was talking about just labor. :-)

nah, i paid somewhere around $1100 or so for mine, and installed it myself.

i think at the time the dealer wanted around $1800 for the unit and install, but that was regular PPWBP

(Message edited by brucemac on February 22, 2009)
Old     (bog)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-22-2009, 2:24 PM Reply   
It is easy to install, the hardest part is fishing the cable from the motor to the gauge.
Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       02-22-2009, 6:20 PM Reply   
I think installed price (not on Mastercraft, but myI/o), was around $1385 including installation.
Old     (amo)      Join Date: Jan 2009       02-23-2009, 5:58 AM Reply   
how do these work vs. Zero off? Are the bugs worked out?
Old     (insuranceman)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-23-2009, 6:59 AM Reply   
i have it on my 07 mastercraft x2. mine was a simple plug and play install (about 10 minutes). paid around $500.00 for the upgrade from pp wakeboard pro.

love it and have had no problems
Old     (dhcomp)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-23-2009, 8:00 AM Reply   
You should expect to be in the $1400-1500 range. But deal wiht them on install....the dealers are bored right now.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-23-2009, 8:02 AM Reply   
AMO, they work very well. Zero Off is designed only for drive by wire throttle and requires a few other electronic feeds found on most new boats. Stargazer is the only GPS system that works with mechanical throttle.
It makes some difference where you place the GPS receiver puck.
Old    petey20            02-24-2009, 5:06 PM Reply   
Here is the quote I got from the dealership. How can the parts cost $1790, when the PP website says it costs $1195. Yeah, I think I'll order it from the website and intall it myself to save a few bucks.

Marcus

The parts will be 1790.00 plus 45.00 for freight and 436.00 in labor.

I will need to know what size engine and what color gauges before ordering.
Also, please contact me over email anytime!
Old     (wackbag)      Join Date: Feb 2009       02-24-2009, 5:56 PM Reply   
I've been considering the Stargazer. Then today as I was listening to XM approaching a stoplight the building to the south of me blocked my reception. It occured to me I may have the same problem on the Columbia River where I do most of my riding by the high banks. Anbody know?
Old     (wdp)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-24-2009, 6:50 PM Reply   
I would doubt it XM uses 2 satellites and the GPS system uses 24. A normal GPS hand held tracks a min of 3 to 4 sats. (Needed to track position and speed.) The one on the aircraft I work on tracks 8 at a time.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-24-2009, 9:56 PM Reply   
Matt, I've had my Stargazer lose signal and freeze because of it. I'm in Canada and the lake is between peaks that rise almost 3000' up from the water. The locations are specific and changing the placement of the puck made a big difference. It is nothing like the signal loss on XM or Sirius though, as Wesley states. They can get 8 satellites so the loss of a couple is no big deal.
Old     (moon)      Join Date: Oct 2008       02-25-2009, 6:48 AM Reply   
Matt, I too ride on the Columbia River (Tri Cities) and from what I've heard, is that using the Stargazer on a river is a pain (I believe the river's current has something do with it). Can anyone elaborate on this?
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-25-2009, 7:04 AM Reply   
Very simple, the GPS works on relationship to the satellites or movement from one point to another on Earth, not the boats relationship to the water flowing under it. Therefore if your river has a 5mph current, it will read 5mph fast going downstream, and 5 mph slow going upstream.
Old     (antoddio)      Join Date: Dec 2006       02-25-2009, 7:08 AM Reply   
Marcus that's definitely a rip. That dealer obviously has too much work they know what to do with. I was quoted $1300 including installation. The install is less time conusming because they don't have to drill a hole in the boat to install a paddlewheel.
Old     (witness140)      Join Date: Dec 2008       02-26-2009, 5:57 PM Reply   
I 'upgraded' my boat last year to Stargazer from PP6.5ng. Our primary ski site is on a river that has a variable current from one end of lake to the other. (The 'lake' is a dammed section of a river about 5 miles long)

The current isn't always running, and when it does, it's speed is different the further downriver you go.

Stargazer was a pain for riding and tricking. I ended up putting the 6.5ng back in the boat on top of the Stargazer module. We would only plug the Stargazer in for bouy chasing with no current. With a current, while riding and tricking, we went back to 6.5ng.

The original versions of Stargazer were actually paddlewheel driven, with the speed readout coming from the GPS input. That was extremely interesting. Then they went to a 100% GPS driven speed input with Wake edition. No more PW. That was not as interesting, but a big pain for river riders.
Old     (crowmobe540)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-26-2009, 7:34 PM Reply   
Stick with the paddle wheel. It isn't hard to install either. Plus drilling the hole will give you a great adrenaline rush.

Remember everything can be fixed if you f..up
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-26-2009, 10:08 PM Reply   
I think the slalom version can use a paddlewheel. Call PP to find out. There used to be a way to run GPS and wheel.
Old     (moon)      Join Date: Oct 2008       02-27-2009, 7:02 AM Reply   
Don't mean to high-jack, but starting a new thread seems pointless. I have another question about perfect pass. It seems that pp's site now only pimps the Stargazer Editions and Rec. Cruise. Since I do most of my riding on a river I'm pretty sure I want to go with the paddle wheel but there is no info on either the Wakeboard Pro 6.5 or Digital Pro 6.5. Are these still in production since they are not on their product list, and if so what are the differences between Wake Pro and Digital Pro? Sorry for a question, but any feedback would be great.

Moon
Old     (roomservice)      Join Date: Dec 2006       02-27-2009, 7:07 AM Reply   
"Plus drilling the hole will give you a great adrenaline rush. "

that's funny rait dere.

(Message edited by roomservice on February 27, 2009)
Old    pdxWAKE.com            02-27-2009, 7:58 AM Reply   
Matt,
To answer your question properly about the satelite and the cut out it has nothing to do with GPS. Your XM radio is feeding a signal over a GeoStationary communication satellite like your DishNetwork or Direct TV. That is what is cutting out cause it needs to have a clear path to the southern skies. The Stargazer is not using GeoStationary satellites, they are using GPS. These are not communication satellites and there should be no problem picking them up on the river. The problem running on the river is what people above discussed and not accounting for the flow of the river. This is going to be a problem in our area if all the manufacturers keep switching to gps cause we all run on rivers. We are in Portland area too.
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-27-2009, 8:28 AM Reply   
i had heard a rumor that there was a firmware upgrade in the works. several enhancement/bug fixes. one of them mentioned was using paddlewheel along with the gps to compensate for current. again, just rumor, but i think they're working on it. this would only help those who currently have a paddle wheel though. i think they're planning on charging like $75 for the upgrade. i've been meaning to call and ask about it. i'm really happy with mine.