Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 11, 2007

Old     (rennen)      Join Date: Jun 2006       01-09-2007, 9:51 PM Reply   
Hey everyone,
Just a quick little question for you all. I was wondering what is involved in changing the gelcoat on a boat. I worked in autobody for a long time, and am familiar with the techniques and prices associated with 2 stage paint. But as I understand Gelcoat is much different.
Anyone know about MEKP products, and SPECIFICALLY how much does it cost to change the color on a boat? Any info is greatly appreciated!

thanks
Old     (wakecrazy21v)      Join Date: Jan 2005       01-10-2007, 5:47 AM Reply   
Hey sal hope to see you on the water. Upload
Old     (wakebrad)      Join Date: Aug 2005       01-10-2007, 1:28 PM Reply   
Are you looking to apply a pattern or just a flat new color? I researched gelling my boat for over a year before I found a guy who did the waterline and the very bottom of the boat for $1200 (a steal). He did a great job. The previous owner had kept the boat in the water and it had blistered.
Old     (nils_lars)      Join Date: Jun 2006       01-10-2007, 5:37 PM Reply   
Whats the advantage to using gel over a high solid single stage , there pretty durable.

I painted a drag boat in 2 stage a couple years ago (totaly custom job so had to be) not sure how well it holds up on a boat that sees more water time.
Old     (rennen)      Join Date: Jun 2006       01-10-2007, 6:15 PM Reply   
Hey John, Long time no see. Hope all is well! Is that your Supra, Wasn't it yellow last season? I like it!! Shoot me an email with your number!

You will definitely see me on the water this summer! We should all go out sometime!

Brad, 1200 for the bottom of the boat only huh? What was the name of the shop? Do you know what exact product he used? Did the 1200 also include the body work underneath the blistering?

Erik, As I understand it, gelcoat is much more durable than paint. When I was in autobody I noticed that even the extremely high quality products could be damaged by your fingernail.. Could you imagine what sort of long term damage a boat would sustain if painted in car paint? Docking and putting it on the trailer alone would ruin it in a season.
Old     (oaf)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-10-2007, 6:54 PM Reply   
Have you looked into doing some vinyl graphics? It can cost much less and from what I understand you can do repairs to the area that is damaged. Plus redoing the gel will cost big $$$$.

www.thegraphicsco.com