Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 04, 2003

Old    alisander            02-12-2003, 1:18 AM Reply   
I have a very good offer for an 89 SN

My problem is that I never have ridden behind one so I don’t know what the wake is like

We have ridden behind a 91 SN several times and we liked the wake a lot. So I normally wanted to get this model. But the offer is quite cheap for a boat in excellent condition.

Do anyone have ridden behind both so that he is able to compare them.
Old    legmaker            02-12-2003, 4:18 AM Reply   
I have ridden behind both and for slalom skiing and wakeboarding. The 89 had the hardest wake of any SN that I had ridden behind. Consequently, this is an excellent wakeboarding boat. The problem is the pylon. It has an angle to it and the tow eye is a larger diameter than the pole, which, unless you are going to use the extended pylon that attaches by brackets ) then I would suggest going ahead with a tower
Old    lucky            02-12-2003, 6:32 AM Reply   
I have an '82 which is the same hull as the '89. The wake is great. My only complaint is with all the sacks full there is not much room to move around. If that is not an issue I would not pass up an opportunity to get a good one. I have friends that prefer to ride behind my boat to a Launch, Wakesetter, and an Air Nautique. I don't neccessarily agree that it is better but it certainly has a wake that will throw you straight up. As for the above comments about the pylon it won't be an issue on a '89. Check my profile for pics.
Old     (scotthetland)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-12-2003, 4:48 PM Reply   
I ride behind an '88 SN 2001 and love the wake! But to tell you the truth, I have ridden behind a '93 SN and liked that one even more. The shapes of the wake are different. I believe the '93 is the same as the '91. I am going to through some more weight up front to see if I can harden my '88 SN. It seems that you have to put more up there than on the '93. If you have a chance to test ride, do so! I know that space is limited on both boats, but what is behind the wake is what really matters!!!
Old     (laptom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-13-2003, 2:29 AM Reply   
I own a BareFoot 2001 and I riden behind a SN2001 and a SN '93. But I liked the wakes of the 2001 much more. This was also the reason for buying a 2001 above the SN from '93. SN '93 (or '91) is a great boat, but it's a real Ski boat. For wakeboarding a sugest a 2001 model (and I like the models from '88 or '89 because of the dash).
Check the engine and woodrot from the stringers. If the boat is not abused it will run forever. Test drive/board it, then you know what you will buying.
Old    aquajack            02-14-2003, 10:18 PM Reply   
An added bonus to the 89 nautique is the fact that it is the 1st year to go to a larger diameter single exhaust that produced less back pressure and had a bigger & better muffler. The 89 also came standard with a PCM Power Plus Transmission (the same as used in a brand new 2003 model year) which swings a larger diameter prop (14" vs 13") and is gear reduction. 1.23:1 vs 1:1 as in 1988 and older nautiques.
The gear reduction will hold speed better than the 1:1 because that Aluminum 9 degree down angle configuration Power Plus PCM Tranny, (that was a mouthful) produces more torque at the prop and weighs less than the old 1:1 velvet-drive it replaced.
1989 was also the 1st year for (I am 99% sure on this one) AME4000 epoxy resin to be used in the hull lay-up. That means it has better strength to weight ratio and will have less chance of stress cracking if hit than it's predcessors made without the use of Epoxy resins in the layup.
On a side note, the 93 nautique was the start of composite (fiberglass-epoxy-resin-foam-filled) stringers for nautique. Meaning no more stringer rot from this year (1993) forward in a nautique.