Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2006

Old     (jbissell47)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-19-2006, 10:01 PM Reply   
couple questions btwn the two boats:

1. I know the hulls are different but is the V25 Wake worth the price difference?

2. The Ballast Monitor System is standard on the vlx and not an option on the v-ride, is the BMS a must or can you get by without one?

3. Premium Polypropylene Carpeting, worth it???

Basically I would love to buy a vlx but it's expensive!! Is the v-ride something I'll be happy with for years or will I wanna resell it in a couple for the vlx I should have bought? You fellin' me??
Old     (jpk)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-19-2006, 10:12 PM Reply   
1. I think the wakes are similar, but the new VLX has a larger distance between the wakes (probably because it is wider). I'm not an expert on wake shapes, but that's just me.

2. The BMS is a gadget, I don't think many folks use it other than to show their friends. You'll always ride with the tanks full.

3. You can get the upgraded carpet on the V-Ride for only $100. I was a moron and this was the one option I missed on mine. Not a big deal, but I hear the new carpet wears better.

As for the price difference, it's up to you. Both are great wakeboats and it just comes down to whether you want to pay up for the VLX size and luxury/bling.
Old     (jbissell47)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-19-2006, 10:25 PM Reply   
jay you own a v-ride...did you upgrade to the rear ballast? the rubrail? Issotta Steering Wheel & Throttle Knob?? power wedge?? stereo?? sorry so many questions but you seem to be my best resource at this point.

also, how do you know the ballast tanks are full? do they have an overflow or something?
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-19-2006, 10:25 PM Reply   
i personally prefer the vlx wake over the v-ride because just the stock wake + wedge on the vlx is enough for most people. the v-ride will need a little extra ballast, but by no means is it an "inferior" wake, just different. i found that the v25 hull produces a little steeper wake than the sv23 hull, but a lot of people will argue me on that, so i guess that means they're very comparable in terms of steepness if no two people have the same opinion on the two wakes. the vlx will be the cleaner and thicker of the two and it actually gets bigger and steeper--with a little more of a lip--the further back you go, so it's ideal if you prefer longer line lengths. the v-ride has a narrower table making it easier to clear, but if you're not a beginner, neither will be any more difficult to go w2w than any other boat.

bms is neat, but i never use mine. the tanks in the vlx are already proportioned pretty close to 60/40 between back and front, so i just fill the tanks until water spits out and i know they're full. i've never ridden with any of the tanks partially full.

hopefully they changed this on the '06 vlx carpeting, but on '05's the carpet is very vulnerable to stains caused from what i think is glue seeping up when the carpet is exposed to intense heat. it's easy to clean, but it can be a pain.

if it were me, i'd go with the vlx for the added space and because the wake fits my style (big guy who charges hard with bad technique) perfectly, but if you can only justify the v-ride from a financial standpoint, you certainly won't be disappointed with it
Old     (jpk)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-19-2006, 10:43 PM Reply   
Oh yeah, one reason to get the VLX is the bow ballast. That is the one feature that the VLX has that is excluded from the V-Ride. I hear it makes a difference.

Yes, I got the rear ballast, wedge (manual, not power), and Isotta wheel&knob. I thought about getting an aftermarket Isotta or Momo wheel, then I found out they were actually more expensive than getting it from the dealer.

I did not get the stock stereo and did not get stainless rubrail. I have a black deck (see my profile) and wanted the black rubrail and black windshield trim to blend into the deck for a seamless look. The stainless looks great if you get a standard white deck. I have an higher end aftermarket stereo, so no need to have the factory install something for me.
Old     (jpk)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-19-2006, 10:46 PM Reply   
You know the ballast tanks are full when you see a stream of water shooting out from the drainholes on the side of the boat. That indicates that they are full. (And if you get the stainless rubrail, those drainholes will have stainless trim on them.)
Old     (jbissell47)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-20-2006, 9:40 AM Reply   
come on bu owners...vlx or v-ride and why???
Old     (dcwillette)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-20-2006, 10:21 AM Reply   
I like most of the bling on my 05' VLX that the Vride does not have but to me the big difference is interior room, storage, and the bow ballast tank.

I use the BMS system alot but usually get distracted while it's filling or draining and then turn it on/off when the water starts or stops coming out the drain holes. It's neat but not neccessary. The factory depth finder uses the same display and is a neccesity though.

If you get the VLX, make sure you get the Monsoon engine over the stock LCR.

As far as manual wedge goes, the VLX has it standard but the Vride comes with everything you need for the wedge except the actual wedge which cost about $450 from the dealer and takes 5 minuets to install. I would get it. However from what I've heard, I would spend the extra $2K and get the power wedge.

I hate the carpet in my VLX and I believe it was thier better carpet. The boat has 50 hours on it and the carpet is already mushed down from getting walked on while wet. The Vride's carpet is better IMO.

All this sounds like I would recommend the Vride but I bought the VLX. Mainly because of the extra room and interior trim. The wake is bigger behind the VLX too.

The dealer gave me a better deal on my VLX than he did on the Vride to the point where I was only paying $5k more for the VLX vs. the Vride. A friend of mine bought the Vride I was looking at and added some things to it such as bow rails. In the end he paid within $3500 of what I paid for my VLX. So I think I made the right choice. I guess that if I would have had to pay $7K+ more for the VLX than the Vride I would probably have gotten the Vride.

Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-20-2006, 10:37 AM Reply   
chad and i aren't the only '05 vlx owners i've heard with carpet problems, so definitely ask the dealer if they fixed the problems in '06. i was told that, if my carpet gets too bad, that i can get it replaced for next to nothing since malibu is aware of the issues people have been having and know it's because of mistakes on their part, not ours. i haven't gotten this confirmed yet, however
Old     (dcwillette)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-20-2006, 10:46 AM Reply   
Oh yeah, forgot to mention. If I had bought the Vride I would have had really tought time making a decision on the steering wheel and throttle knob. I really, really like the Isotta wheel and knob but the price for it as an option on the Vride seems outragous. Personnaly, I think a Hurst shifter from an old muscle car would be cool and could probably fitted for that kind of money.
Old     (gdog)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-20-2006, 11:02 AM Reply   
i have an 04 vlx, fully loaded, since its the same hull as the v-ride. wake is the same as long as you sack it. if you want to save a few $$$ and want all the options, what about a used vlx? a lot of good deals out there if you look. by the time you buy the v-ride and start adding options, price jumps quickly and you can probably get a clean 04 for close to the same price. sometimes you buy a "cheaper" model to save money, but in a few years you want more options and end up trading or selling it for an upgraded model. (then what have you saved?) nice to have the latesed and greatest, but like you said boats are getting pricey. good luck
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-20-2006, 11:22 AM Reply   
I have to agree with everything Jeff V and Chad said. I have an 05 VLX, and am very glad I went that route instead of a V-ride. The V-ride is a great boat for it's intended lower price, but I like the VLX much more. Not just the bling, but space, overall appearance, wake, etc. The way I look at it, like they said, if you add some stuff, you are getting up closer to a VLX price. If you are spending $40-50K for a boat, get everything you want. Maybe the V-ride is everything you want, and are being thrifty with your spending. Nothing wrong with that. Smarter than many who overspend. My feeling is that for a few thousand more, I could have storage, seating space, ballast, better wake, bling, etc. Made the decision easy for me. You are the best judge of what would work best for you, and what you finances are. Either way you will be getting a great boat!
Old     (iagainsti)      Join Date: Apr 2004       02-20-2006, 12:10 PM Reply   
I just went thru this myself-I finally decided on the VLX. Dealer margins are alot lower on the V-ride and like others mentioned it came out to a $5k difference between the boats. I made the mistake of only test driving the VLX and was immediatly sold on it. Great boat ! I probably should have at least test drove the Ride but knew deep down that I already made up my mind.
Old     (jpk)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-20-2006, 1:14 PM Reply   
Jeff - Yes, the '05 VLX carpet was crappy. For 2006 you get better carpet in the new VLX or V-Ride with Premium carpet option.

Chad - The Isotta throttle knob is only $50 MSRP, and even cheaper if you negotiate to have it thrown in. Sheesh, even a cheap-o Hurst knob costs that much and isn't as nice. The steering wheel is not a bad price either. I shopped for an Isotta wheel on eBay and Froogle and stuff and could not find one cheaper. Also looked at Momo, and they were more expensive and not as well matched to the dash.

Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-20-2006, 2:23 PM Reply   
I forgot to mention about my carpet. I have an 05 VLX, and have had the boat 1 year next week. I have 340 hours on it, and my carpet is in great shape. If you get either boat, get the carpet saver. It takes all the beating, stains,etc, and soaks up most the water. I pull it out, hose it off, and hang it up to dry. I still have not used a carpet cleaner yet, but have a few very light spots. That's all, in over 300 hours. Get the carpet saver. Out of all my add-on's, that one has served the best as far as keeping the boat looking good.

Just my 2 cents.
Old     (dcwillette)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-20-2006, 7:22 PM Reply   
If you can get the Isotta throttle knob for $50 then it is a no-brainer. Same goes for the steering wheel. I've forgotten the price difference I was quoted when looking at the Vride but it was several hundred for both.

An intesting thing about the 05' VLX carpet... it seems everyone complains about the glue an/or yellow stains. I haven't has any stain problems, just mushed down and worn looking. Anyone had this issue?
Old     (nvboarder)      Join Date: Nov 2005       02-20-2006, 10:22 PM Reply   
06 VLX does not come standard with the manual wedge I believe it's around 600.00 Just a thought take the VLX and add the options you want then take the V-ride and add the options you want and go see your dealer. What you will find is that a lot of the options on the V-ride are standard on the VLX. I just purchased the VLX but won't have it untill next week. It was never a question for me between the two. Good luck.
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-21-2006, 2:53 PM Reply   
buzz, what exactly is the carpet saver? can you buy if from a dealer, or do you have to order it from the factory as an option when you get your boat? thanks
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-21-2006, 5:43 PM Reply   
Jeff,

I ordered mine from the factory with my new boat, but I am 99% sure you can order it after, from a dealer. It is a very sturdy section of carpet (similar to the carpet floor mats in your car or truck). It covers almost your entire floor, protecting the carpet underneath. All the food, spills, etc end up on the carpet saver. Also, the majority of water hauled in by riders soaks up in there, so the carpet under does not get very wet. When I get home, I pull out the carpet saver, hang it over a bar to dry. If it is dirty, I hose it off while it is hanging there. So far, even with all my hours on the boat, I have not had any issues, large stains, or problems with my carpet or carpet saver. I am also not anal about food and drinks like some are, so they get a good workout. I usually have a pretty good size crowd. I just figure for the price (don't recall) it was more than worth it.

You can also check at www.themalibucrew.com for more specific info.

Good luck. Let me know if you have any questions.
Old     (mbrown)      Join Date: May 2005       02-22-2006, 3:51 PM Reply   
The wakes are totally different. The VLX has a hard steep lip at the top like a 1 ft. piece of deck coping and it boots you up pretty good, longer transitions, good ramp with a large landing area. Good for bigger riders and especially longer line lengths. Handles rough water better.

The old VLX was a little more washy at the top and could not be really firmed up with weight, more narrow, good shape, good ramp, short transition. If you are a bigger guy you'll might not like a softer top, but if you are landing short and not edging hard it has a fun shape.

What ever you order get full ballast options and a 340 hp engine, all else is trimming.

PS- I have a carpet saver too-they work great!