Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 11, 2007

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-03-2007, 12:54 PM Reply   
From the rider profile
}I think the wakeboarding industry should follow the pathway that surfing gave us and use it to our advantage. A good example would be snowboarding, as the industry has used style in product design to freeriding and even in competitions. If wakeboarding could get away from our predecessor, trick skiing, we could actually give free-riders what they deserve. Whether it's promoting the "style" riders or changing competition formats, I think we need to grab a hold of what makes a board sport a board sport and take our industry to the next level."

Why is this a reoccurring subject? Must there be so many people trying to change and control the sport to what they deem is right? Pathway that surfers gave us? They hated on wakeboarding back in the day, and a lot still do to this day. Trick skiing schmick skiing, I'm tired of hearing how it's controlling and influential, cause it's not anymore, it's over. Tired of people acting like punks cause thats what "role" a rider is supposed to be. Seriously, I know it's just my opinion, but are contests not the best they've been, is freeriding not beginning to be a huge influence? Seems to me it's more a route for riders to gain sponsors and attention without winning a competition, which I guess is the pathway surfing gave us, since you had to have steez to get on the tour. This story's so old, as is every newcomer trying to mold the sport to what they want.