Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 07, 2008

Old     (technarider)      Join Date: Jun 2006       09-07-2008, 8:57 PM Reply   
i know this has been asked and i have read tons of threads on this but looking for little info

theses are the lakes i'm looking at shasta, trinity, new melones, don pedro, any other choices i'm missing

time frame would be late may threw the end of june

1) avg cost per couple ( 5 total couples )( the rest of the 5 or 6 would be kids ) for 7 day trip ( 16 person sleeper, 7 nights, split everything equal )

2) what are the best places to rent from at each lake

3) are children ( ages 1-6 concidered as a person )( i am sure they are but wanted to make sure )
Old     (eargasm)      Join Date: May 2007       09-08-2008, 6:58 AM Reply   
Bullards Bar is also a great place to plan a HB trip. Did one last year in sept. Had 3 couples, all of us with kids plus peeps coming and going. Had a great time and we were the only boat out there. I believe it was $3,600 for 7days on the new 65' boat. It was cheap because we booked it the first weekend of their "off season" rentals.
Old     (technarider)      Join Date: Jun 2006       09-08-2008, 4:57 PM Reply   
any other lakes, and what about the kids are they counted as one?
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-08-2008, 5:12 PM Reply   
I'm pretty sure when you rent a boat they don't ask you how many people you are bringing. They will ask you what boat you want and count on you to make sure your party will fit. I know I've had close to 20+ people on a boat designed for 12-15. When it comes to splitting costs of kids vs adults, work it out with your group that kids cost 75% or 50% of an adults cost.
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-08-2008, 6:04 PM Reply   
Late may through June is prime payolla time! Search houseboating in Google on any of the lakes you mentioned and you'll find your info along with rates. I was thinking of doing the HB thing next year at Shasta but with water what it is i think i'll wait a year more or so.
Old     (ss1234)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-08-2008, 6:14 PM Reply   
Oroville is another nice lake in Nor Cal (when it has water).

Boat rentals are per boat, not per person. So the count of kids vs adults doesn't matter, but each person, regardless of age, counts towards the max allowable people.

I recall signing contracts that state the max number of "people" allowed on the boat with cost penalties if you go over. We've gone over the max number several times, but we never had everybody all loading at the dock at the same time. My guess is you would have to be pretty blatant to be called on that one.

Best places....everybody has an opinion. Shasta has the most marina options (I like Jones and Holiday Harbor). The other lakes mentioned have one or two choices each.

Best place....for a houseboat trip I would choose Shasta first, but I would not turn down a trip to any of the other lakes.

Cost..depends on the boat. It's easy to find costs on the web for each of these places. They publish the price lists. Boat costs really range depending on the level of boat. Boat rental cost is just the start: Deposit, houseboat gas, other boat gas, food, drink, ice. All those sound basic, but depending on what kind of trip, how much you cruise the boat, how much riding, blah blah....it can radically change the total cost.

Not cheap, but well worth it in my opinion. Houseboating has been some of the best times I've had with friends and family.
Old     (technarider)      Join Date: Jun 2006       09-08-2008, 7:41 PM Reply   
thanks everyone i think you all answered most the questions i had, the biggest one was the " if kids count to the total "

i see all the prices on the web sites, for the boat rentals.

but i was more concerned with the total, after all gas, food and food etc was paid for, and posiabbly how it was split, between everyone.

bring your own food and drinks or was it a pot luck with everyone pitching in and split between everyone.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-08-2008, 10:05 PM Reply   
Bullards Bar is the coolest lake in NorCal. Probably in the state actually.

I've always had good water there, and its just gorgeous. No other place like it.
Old     (ss1234)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-09-2008, 10:12 AM Reply   
Leo, it depends on crew. Some trips I've been on the crews are easy and everything is split. Big drink run and everybody is cool with equal split. We did a costco type run for bulk stuff and sent a list to everybody. People brought their own breakfast / lunch stuff, and dinners were team events where groups of people were assigned a night and had to provide for everybody. Other trips I've been on, we had some non-drinkers that complained a bit about having to pitch in for 10 cases of beer + other good stuf.

One thing we always agreed on was gas and ice are split. We would estimate (high) for those cost and collect cash at boarding. It was understood that no cash / no boarding the boat. That way we always had a cash pool to grab from when making a dock run. At check out time the balance was divided up amongst the crew right there on the dock.

We rolled with the same crew for about 12 years. It took a little bit of planning and figuring the first year, but after that it was just fine tuning. There was always a designated organizer that collected money and paid for the boat. Part of that money collection was for the group food / drink run. One simple spread sheet can track everything. The list of group food / drink was sent out and individuals would fill in on their own where needed for breakfast / lunch.

As mentioned for the dinners, they were group events. I still haven't figure out why, and I've seen it on this board from other people, but our group houseboat dinners were always theme nights that in most cases got out of hand. When we transitioned and started bring kids...we still had theme nights, although they were a bit more tame.
Old     (richnnorcal)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-09-2008, 11:23 AM Reply   
As stated by J-ROD "Bullard's the coolest"... Just got back, Air temp 100 deg. Fri, Sat and Sun
water was 78 Deg. w/ no wind...pure glass...
That place is Paradise, even though we've never house boated there, would love to one day! we just tent camp @ School House.
Old     (rvh3)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-09-2008, 4:40 PM Reply   
This is who we use http://www.foreverresorts.com/
Old     (technarider)      Join Date: Jun 2006       09-09-2008, 8:05 PM Reply   
thanks for all the help

i may just be over-thinking things to much, funny thing is i am pretty easy going, and go with the flow. I just want to make sure the whole trip goes smooth

so got a few more ???'s

1) with the houseboat having a large gas tank, do you just head to a spot and post there the whole time..to not use that much gas.. or do you move around if needed, i am assuming that you will use just 1 tank if not less

2) with the houseboat not haveing a not so huge fresh watertank ( approx 300 gallons from what i read ) do you make a trip to refill this, or just use it very sparingly

3) how often do you expect to head to the docks for extra's, including gas
Old     (mcclure_kevo)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-09-2008, 9:24 PM Reply   
use the water sparingly bring bottled water to drink and just use the tank water for dishes and stuff it usually doesnt taste very good anyways and houseboats dont go through to much gas so we move around alot just to see more of the lake when we are on vacation
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-09-2008, 9:38 PM Reply   
Plan on moving the houseboat once every 2-3 days to change scenery. I try to pick a destination that I think will have protection from the wind so that people can hang outside, so that the riding is good, and to minimize the chance of the houseboat breaking free a making a mess. We spent 377$ on a 7 day trip. We trecked across the lake 3 times. But if you're in a great spot, might as well save the money and stay put.

Usually houseboats have to return every 4 days or so to empty the dirty water. We went super efficient and made it all 7 days. I've never run out of fresh water. But, we also minimize showers to conserve and bring bottled water to drink. I've been on a dozen hb trips and never used an indoor shower. Lake and soap.

We went to the dock every couple of days to get ice and to top off the gas cans. We had two wake boats. One of which could drop weight easily and make runs. We took 20 5 gallon gas cans so that we could fill up the boats easily. We spent 1220$ on wakeboat gas for 7 days.

As far as kids, if they need a bed, they need to be paid for. Maybe a disounted rate considering they will eat and drink much less.

I have a spreadsheet I'll send you now. It will help you calculate the cost per day, per person, per expense category (gas, food, beer, etc....) There's a place to enter your budget (estimate) and the actual expenses as you go to track everything.

Orvolle is my pick for a cheap, barebones houseboat for the guys. They have a 16 sleeper for something like 1800.00. Bunk bed sleeping, old boats, but cheap. The lake rocks too.

Shasta is cool. We rented the Queen 1. New, big, 6 private sleeping areas.....pimp!

Bullards Bar is still my favorite. They have a new boat too. Sleeps less people in private rooms and expensive, but worth it.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-09-2008, 10:00 PM Reply   
hey
Jarrod
I was planning on a Cumberland trip next year
send me a copy of that spread sheet if you would
thanks
noodleski@sbcglobal.net
Old     (sacmule)      Join Date: May 2007       09-09-2008, 11:14 PM Reply   
Leo, I spend most of my weekends on Don Pedro, however I think their HB prices are outrageous (Fleming Marina is cheaper). I have been quoted very nice prices for Shasta (cannot remember the company). Bullards at $3600 is a great deal, especially for a newer boat. Best deals is to book early and book off-peak season, typically before mid-June and after Labor day. Kids are always a toss up. Sometimes we count them sometimes we do not; younger kids are never counted when they start using equipment they usually get counted in the gas totals. Meals are assigned with each family bringing a meal or two for the group, drinks shared, etc. Keep it simple, simple is always easier. We also plan our meals around the good water; breakfast at 11 am, Lunch at 4 pm and Dinner at 9 pm.
Old     (technarider)      Join Date: Jun 2006       09-10-2008, 12:03 AM Reply   
thanks guys... for all the help... that spread sheet is sweet...will come in handy...

for are first outing we decided to do a 4 day.. to test the waters and see how it all goes... not all of them wakeboard, but i know a few of us will, and i am bringing the 96" tube for the kids for sure, kids will range from 1-9 years old..

my boat is old.. but sips gas and should be go for what we are gonna do..

time frame looks to be may-june 09, but starting all the planning now..

once again thanks for all the help

Leo
Old     (220_superstar)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-24-2008, 5:09 PM Reply   
If you are looking for price new molenes and oroville are the cheapest. They are also very nice lakes to houseboat on I was on both this summer did 7 days on new melones and 5 on oroville they both were killer new melones had a bit more wind the oroville. I have reservations for oroville next summer. Has to be my favorite lake. We were on the lake the week before Laborday there was nobody. We had the south fork to ourselves. The ramp was a bit crazy the army corp brought in a portable ramp 4X4 only I have a 220 superair and had no problems launching..
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-25-2008, 6:20 AM Reply   
New Melones ramp is still cemented. No launching from the dirt yet. :-)

With New Melones, you have to find the good areas of the lake but it wasn't that bad.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-25-2008, 7:02 AM Reply   
I would also be thankful for the spreadsheet.
Old     (norcalbordr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-25-2008, 8:40 AM Reply   
Bullards Bar, Shasta, Oroville are the 3 best lakes where you can actually get good water. Best scenery too.
Old     (ldp_rider)      Join Date: Apr 2008       09-26-2008, 4:33 PM Reply   
Leo,
I've read some of the first posts and it seem as if people touch on the subject of kids and the percentage of the costs but you may want to inquire about the maximum capacity while the houseboat is in travel. Usually it is a maximum of 12 due to there only being 12 life jackets provided with the houseboat. If you have a boat that will solve that issue.

I'm a regular at Don Pedro and there is still plenty of good spots since the lake is huge. You may want to call and find out if Moccasin Point Marina is renting houseboats and if the launch ramp is still running, otherwise Flemming Meadows definitely is renting them. It's a great lake over all and you can definitely find good water but mostly in the morning and evenings like everywhere else.
Old     (motogod77)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-26-2008, 4:48 PM Reply   
I know this is off of the subject, but does Shasta have a marina with slips, hotel, resturant, etc. Or any other lake mentioned have something like Konocti.

www.konoctiharbor.com
Old     (kimmy)      Join Date: Aug 2001       09-26-2008, 5:19 PM Reply   
If you consider Shasta, let me know in advance I can get you a discount on renting a HB from there. I own a houseboat moored out of Silverthorn and am good friends with the owners and all the workers. I can even meet up with you and tie my boat off next to yours, get a few WW people to join. Any info you need just email me.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-26-2008, 8:29 PM Reply   
be sure to think about how many people will be using the "facilities" and do not scrimp on the "extra chemicals" for the toilet if it will be used alot...or you may not be happy campers phew!...this was discovered after being offered the extra chemicals for 10 or 20 bucks more and not getting it, big mistake...or so I was told.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-26-2008, 8:42 PM Reply   
does Shasta have a marina with slips, hotel, resturant, etc. Or any other lake mentioned have something like Konocti.

Konocti is pretty unique.
Shasta has alot of marinas etc. its really big.
Old     (motogod77)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-27-2008, 8:17 AM Reply   
Does Bridge Bay have a hotel or resturant?
Old     (migitty)      Join Date: Aug 2001       09-27-2008, 11:12 AM Reply   
Bridge Bay has both a restaurant and a hotel. The restaurant is called Tale of the Whale and it’s pretty good. The bar is pretty decent as well.