Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 18, 2009

Old     (savage)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-17-2008, 4:02 PM Reply   
So we're thinking about going to Texoma for the 4th of July weekend. I've never been there before on a boat and heard it can get pretty nasty out there (regardless of how many boats are out). Will we be fine with a 17 foot boat?? I'm a good driver and can operate through some bad stuff but I just wanna make sure if the boat can handle that lake.

Also....anyone know of a good place to camp at? We'll be coming from south eastern Oklahoma.
Old     (tanner)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-17-2008, 4:12 PM Reply   
Depends where you want to go. Quite honestly if you get over in parts of the lake it gets BAD! Pretty much anything south of the 70 Bridge is BAD (but it's where the action is). Everything North, isn't to bad. I would suggest boarding over in newberry creek / johnson creek area in the morning. Then loading back up and making the drive through kingston to Soldier Creek (about a 8-10 car ride) dropping in there and heading straight over to the islands. It's a 3-4 straight shot from soldier creek. Otherwise it's about an hour and a half by water from where I named.

I never camp but I would try the catfish bay area for camping... but most the grounds are probably already gone. If you want a cheap motel thats right by the water, that's not bad really... try The Oaks Motel 580-924-4497 They're not real well known and MIGHT still have rooms (doubt it).

I would say 98% of campgrounds are probably already reserved (even the first come first serve ones that they aren't supposed to take reservations for, but do anyways).

Good luck.
Old     (savage)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-17-2008, 7:32 PM Reply   
Thanks alot man. You pretty much answered everything!
Old     (bird_dog0347)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-17-2008, 9:08 PM Reply   
Swells can get pretty big, and TONS of traffic. My uncle has a lakehouse there and we went up for memorial day. You will be able to find butter in the morning in some of the coves though if you get up early.
Old     (supradoug)      Join Date: Dec 2001       06-17-2008, 10:30 PM Reply   
Luke I would head south to Broken Bow..........alway nice... we on the otherhand will be at Eufaula fighting the wallys and checking out the Leonard Skynard at the ampitheater.
Old     (lake_side)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-20-2008, 5:37 AM Reply   
It is a cool lake and is really wild on the party seen. Just pray and hope a storm doesn't come though. You do not want to be out on the water if weather gets bad with the size of boat you have. Really that lake will swollow your boat and not spit it out.
Old     (supraman11)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-20-2008, 8:29 AM Reply   
We usually go out almost every weekend on Texoma and mostly you really do not want to get caught in a storm out on the lake as ty said. The party scene is pretty big usually around highport/north beach areas. I would stay far away from highport because of the excessive boat traffic and it gets very boat rough around there. If the wind exceeds around 15 mph it is normally VERY rough. Other than that early in the mornings you can usually find good water in most coves. Have fun, we will probably be out there too.