Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 07, 2008

Old     (onthewatermo)      Join Date: Jan 2008       10-31-2008, 10:42 AM Reply   
I just tried 'riding' my wakeboard without bindings like a balance board (rocking back and forth) on a foam cylinder 6" diameter and was surprised at how well it worked. Does anyone (other than EndoBoard reps) see any problems or risks associated with using that setup as a balance board in the off season (foam cost $2.00)?
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-31-2008, 10:48 AM Reply   
The only problem is that a wakeboard does not have stoppers at each end to keep it from rolling off the cylinder. i suppose the fins (depending on the model) might help to create a stopper, ESPECIALLY if you take off the fins and reverse them so the butt end faces inwards!!!

But, yea i have heard of people making their own things like this using all sorts of arround-the-house junk. a wakeskate would be better i am sure as it would not be sooooo freaking looonnngg.
Old     (zachcopp)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-31-2008, 1:20 PM Reply   
what does an endo board help with? Like how does it help for off season training?
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-31-2008, 1:29 PM Reply   
We used a wakeskate and a keg. Now those were some falls!

That was outside and not all that often but we did use a blank skateboard on a medium-large diameter pvc pipe. Worked better in my opinion. You don't need stoppers.
Old     (to_blind)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-31-2008, 1:30 PM Reply   
balance boards help with...err, uh, how do i put this....balance.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-31-2008, 1:35 PM Reply   
I start my workouts with balls squats....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4mIBtje5i8
Old     (onthewatermo)      Join Date: Jan 2008       10-31-2008, 2:00 PM Reply   
For me, the off-season balance board also helps alot with sanity. I live at a summer vacation destination but the winters get long (and last season I got bored with indoor mini trampoline and wakeboard). J-Rod, if I could get over the name "balls squats" that looks like one of those "instability during the exercise leads to all around stability of the knee" deals...nice}
Old     (misteve)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-31-2008, 2:09 PM Reply   
Dang Jarrod, that's hardcore...
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       10-31-2008, 2:42 PM Reply   
Take any piece of plywood or lumber and cut your shape. We use blank skate decks a lot they are good size and shape but even a flat board will work fine.

I use a small section of 6" pcv tubing as a roller.

Sand paper w/ adhesive bottom on 'roller' helps prevent slipouts. These are great for balance.

Once you get better you can stall the nose/tail out on top the roller. I also like stand the wrong way (like I am slalom skiing on the board) and then 'walk' from one end of the board to the other.

I can land ollies and shuvs but they are pretty tough. No idea how anyone can get air or land a fliptrick. Wow!

Wait....what can I do with a mini tramp??? :-)
Old     (ponder86)      Join Date: Mar 2008       10-31-2008, 3:02 PM Reply   
I took the trucks off an old skateboard deck and then filled up a 2-Liter bottle with water and wrapped tape around the cap, it worked fine
Old     (onthewatermo)      Join Date: Jan 2008       10-31-2008, 5:30 PM Reply   
Mikey, thank you for the recipe...just added it to my to do list tomorrow. What I did with a mini-tramp was use rachet straps to secure foam kayak rooftop blocks on it, put a pillow in between the blocks and then with a handle tied to the wall bounce around complete with grabs and up to 270s...work on handle passes, aerobic, and again an unstable exercise that strengthens knees.
Old     (dppaneig)      Join Date: Feb 2008       11-03-2008, 6:38 PM Reply   
Pretty funny story: I got home today and saw my wifes workout ball on the floor and thought I would try a ball squat. I jumped up on it, it rolled forward, I fell on my arse on the ball violently doing a backflip onto the ground. I got wiplash from the fall hitting my head on the carpet. I missed our entertainment center by inches! That definitely would have left a mark. I will try it again in a safer place!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       11-03-2008, 8:20 PM Reply   
I personally don't jump up on that ball, not the big one at least. I start on my knees and climb my way up. It's a good idea to start near a counter or something that you can use as a crutch if you need it. Once you get it, it's easy,.
Old     (dppaneig)      Join Date: Feb 2008       11-03-2008, 8:28 PM Reply   
Good advice, I had to laugh at myself for awhile there.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       11-04-2008, 7:45 AM Reply   
Nice J-Rod!
Check this one out. This is insane.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QR3BZGfchk&feature=related
Old     (kyle_m)      Join Date: Aug 2007       11-04-2008, 8:21 AM Reply   
lol thas sweet eubanks but heres one for dans situation lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QR3BZGfchk
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-04-2008, 8:26 AM Reply   
jrod is indeed HARDCORE
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       11-04-2008, 9:08 AM Reply   
Yeah I saw that one. There is another on youtube called the gauntlet, where this kid jumps around on 4-5 different balls. Nuts...

I work out in a public gym where those falls can be embarassing. I jump on the smaller basketball size balls, but not the big ones.
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       11-04-2008, 5:07 PM Reply   
We used a skateboard deck too (til it broke, gotta pick up another one) and a car spring from my wagon, about 6" diameter, I'm looking for some PVC off cuts now because that sucker hurts when you fall on it. I got drunk and tried to ride it, thought I'd broken my leg, had a hell of a bruise for weeks.

Just scored a Swiss ball for free so I might try falling off that instead. My flatmate destroyed our kitchen trash can falling off it last night, wish I had video hahaha. He almost stuck his head through the oven door as well, they can be dangerous in confined spaces for sure.