Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 08, 2008

Old     (crazy4two)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-03-2008, 2:58 PM Reply   
I have a cantilever boat lift that I need to move approximately two feet to the side. Any clues on how to do this? The front of the lift sits in about 1 foot of water and the back sits in about 8 to 10 feet. Thanks
Old     (peachman)      Join Date: May 2004       06-03-2008, 3:07 PM Reply   
Muscle?

My buddy has the Sunstream distributorship for our area. We move and install several lifts each spring/fall. High lift jack to get it out of the mud/silt and push it over off the jack. If the bottom is rocky and hard where the feet are not stuck, you and a buddy or two can push it over into the new location.

HTH,
JT
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-03-2008, 3:24 PM Reply   
I put down small artificial platforms for the lift to sit on so it wouldn't get too stuck. I have really soft soil. That may help you for your new location but not for getting it out of where you have now.

For the deep end, you can blow up a tube secured under the lift arms/supports. It may not lift it completely but you would be surprised at the bouyancy force of even a small tube. We used tubes to set ours initially and to adjust the docks. LIke JT said, muscle power will be needed at some point and would get as many strong guys as you can.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-03-2008, 4:33 PM Reply   
Can you attach it securely to the boat, lower the lift so that the boat is supporting it, unbolt it from the dock, move the boat and then reattach?

If not the boat then perhaps some other floating object.

Rod
Old     (crazy4two)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-03-2008, 4:50 PM Reply   
I like that floating idea. That sounds like it may work
Old     (nickbot)      Join Date: Feb 2007       06-04-2008, 6:05 AM Reply   
i've done the floating idea before. we put two 4X4's across the boat with screw eyes in each end. ratchet tie down straps from the screw eyes to the lift...ratchet up the straps and the lift should float...should...
Old     (tj_in_kc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       06-04-2008, 7:01 AM Reply   
scott i think if you post pics it will be easier to visualize.

If you have access to a pontoon you can probably rig something up. I've also heard of running 2x4 across a jon boat. not sure how big they would have to be but you could also use mooring buoys or inflated fat sacs if you can tie them to the lift to support the weight so its not so heavy and to mitigate the risk of it falling and sinking if you lose control of it.

here is how the pros do it: note this is a floating lift, but the key it proping up or supporting the weight for you situation, right?

Upload
Upload