Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (boardforhyperlite16)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-11-2011, 4:12 PM Reply   
Can Dean Smith be categorized with Lyman and Vandall? Thought this would make a good debate.
Old    BenjTrogdon            05-11-2011, 4:20 PM Reply   
They are all VERY different... Just because they go big into the flats doesn't necessarily put them in a "category".
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       05-11-2011, 4:37 PM Reply   
nothing against Lyman or Dean, but the Vandall is one of a kind.
Old     (boardforhyperlite16)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-11-2011, 4:45 PM Reply   
Let me reword this. Vandall and Lyman both go huge with tons of style while doing it in their own unique way. Can Dean Smith be considered the next "go big with tons of style in his own unique way" guy?
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-11-2011, 4:45 PM Reply   
I like Deans style over Vadall's. personal preference.
Old    BenjTrogdon            05-11-2011, 5:12 PM Reply   
Dean Smith has been for at least the past few years one of the guys who goes really huge on most of his tricks. So sure. But its not like he's the "next" of anything, because he already "is" one of the big air riders ...If that makes since
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-11-2011, 5:22 PM Reply   
Yes he can...
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       05-11-2011, 5:34 PM Reply   
All three of those guys are bad ass !
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-11-2011, 6:20 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardforhyperlite16 View Post
Let me reword this. Vandall and Lyman both go huge with tons of style while doing it in their own unique way. Can Dean Smith be considered the next "go big with tons of style in his own unique way" guy?
He most certainly can, he goes HUGE!
Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-11-2011, 10:05 PM Reply   
i love randal harris' style and all, but none of his tricks are really that difficult. i think lyman and dean are more comparable because lyman can actually get a bit of tech tricks going on. i think dean has already passed both lyman and harris by a good ways, but just may not be recognized as well. just my opinion
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-11-2011, 10:08 PM Reply   
Dean is #1 for going big IMO
http://www.theliquidcircus.com/index...-wake-boarding

Some tricks I've seen from him are insane as it is, but then taking them +10 ft. to the flats is just another level of nuts.... and its not just once and a while, its EVERY single hit

Last edited by sidekicknicholas; 05-11-2011 at 10:11 PM.
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-12-2011, 4:15 AM Reply   
I would say he is up there for sure, if for no other reason than his Worlds run last year. It was a video game contest run, every trick thrown huuuuuuuge into the flats, all out balls to the wall riding. He is really committed to that style of riding, no matter what situation. So yes, he is comparable to Randal who has legend status, and to Lyman, who also consistantly goes big.
Old     (wakerpunk)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-12-2011, 5:03 AM Reply   
love the vandall and lyman but they just go big and tweak stuff. Dean goes huge and throws tech tricks. really different style IMO
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-12-2011, 7:49 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidekicknicholas View Post
Dean is #1 for going big IMO
http://www.theliquidcircus.com/index...-wake-boarding

Some tricks I've seen from him are insane as it is, but then taking them +10 ft. to the flats is just another level of nuts.... and its not just once and a while, its EVERY single hit
You need to watch Transgression.Randall Harris is on a 88' line and has two boats running side by side and lands in the flats on the other side of the second wake!All three riders are different and all are fun to watch.There is alot of pro and amateur talent in wakeboarding right now.Let's just enjoy it and not say one is better,when all are very good.ALL are different.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       05-12-2011, 7:56 AM Reply   
I think Dean is the Most comparable to Shaprio back in the early 2000's.
Old     (boarder12)      Join Date: Mar 2011       05-12-2011, 8:08 AM Reply   
I don't think you can label Dean Smith under the same category as Vandall or Lyman! I mean ya they all have there unique style's but thats just it they are unique! You can see that Lyman has influence from both Vandall and Benny G in his riding and Vandall can destroy dubs like no one else as well as have his own steeze going on. Then there is Dean. I think Dean is more of the go big, tech guy than the go big, grab and poke guy. To each his own though!
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-12-2011, 8:35 AM Reply   
Andy, I was about to write what you did. I think Dean's style is much more comparable to Shapiro. Little more straight-legged and booted.

For someone to say that Lyman and Randall don't do tech tricks is laughable. How is a wrapped tail 5 into the flats not technical? Especially the way Randall does it grabbed the entire time.
Old     (jcollinge)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-12-2011, 9:11 AM Reply   
If there is any doubt that Dean goes large and with a lot of style check this out...

http://www.theliquidcircus.com/index...age=18#gallery

These shots were taken on Lake Austin behind my boat back in 2007. He is definitely gotten better in the last couple of years IMO...
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-12-2011, 12:31 PM Reply   
I would definitely put them all in the same category of "Go Big" Riders. With that said, they are all still unique. And if you think Vandall isn't technical, you might want to watch a little closer. The fact that he takes the usual wake to wake tricks and stomps them in the flats is technical in itself. He might not be the first one to add another 180 to a crow mobe, but he'll take it 5 feet higher than anyone else, and stomp it in the flats, and do it switch, in horrible water . I watched him stomp a toe back 7 in water so bad that others could barely find the double up.

Dean is the first one of those three riders to take the go big style and and apply it successfully to the competition format like the tour. Randall and Lyman both struggled with this I believe.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-12-2011, 12:53 PM Reply   
3 different riders. 3 different styles. They all go huge and they're all awesome to watch ride. To put them in the "same" catagory doesn't do any of them justice.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-12-2011, 12:54 PM Reply   
FWIW.... I love his section in Global Warning. One of my favorite wake sections. I could be a bit biased, though.....
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-12-2011, 5:42 PM Reply   
If I could have anybody's riding skills it'd be Deans. The guy just flies. When it comes to amplitude of riding, I feel that Randall, Lyman and Dean definitely take the cake there.
Old     (mckenna)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-12-2011, 6:20 PM Reply   
Dean consistantly goes the biggest!
Old     (lostkgb78)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-12-2011, 6:50 PM Reply   
Yes
Old     (Cisco)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-12-2011, 8:55 PM Reply   
haha. You rock Siebring! I grew up looking up to you. I still do. Living in Hawaii sounds amazing!

I can see how Randall and Lyman are both in the going huge, mega-tweaked, long line (88'?), fast speed (29 mph?) category. Dean goes huge and tweaks, but he would only fit into that category if he rode a similar length of line at a similar speed.

Does anyone know if he does?
Old     (jsweat)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-12-2011, 9:00 PM Reply   
i wouldnt say Dean consistantly goes the biggest. It's hard to say that Randall doesnt go huge on every hit. and like what was said earlier to say that Randall isnt technical is hilarious. The amount of board control and air awareness he possesses is ridiculous. Pretty much every trick he does he can do switch with the same amount of style and control. now if that isnt technical then i dont know what is. Just because he isnt throwing all of the same so called technical tricks doesnt mean that he can it is just his preference to do what he feels looks good and he makes it look the way it should. Randall is the guy that when he hits the water no matter who is in the boat (pro or not) all eyes are glued on his every move. I remember in an interview about drive Benny G and Darf were talking about how unreal it is to watch him ride. And just put on his section in transgression and watch how controlled he is in the air and go out next time and try to emulate his riding and see how incredibly difficult it is. I am sue it would be easier to do a whirly 5 flailed all over the place than to do his mute to back 180 way out in the flats. He has to grab the board with his front hand and poke the living hell out of the board and then grab the rope with his front hand and rotate backside. I know it looks simple but when it is broken down and done perfectly you get to see the true difficulty and technicality of the trick. Also remember he is doing that at 88'-91' and 28mph. RIDICULOUS
Old     (Cisco)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-12-2011, 11:03 PM Reply   
Randall rides a wakeboard the way (I think) it was meant to be done. He was technical in his day hitting KGB's, Melon Mobes, Hs w2w 7's, but his current riding isn't very techical by today's standards. A whirly 5 is a pretty standard trick that Randall doesn't have, probably cuz he can't grab it and he seems to refuse to learn tricks without a grab. When was the last time you saw Randall land any variation of a Mobe 5 or a w2w 9? Is a wrap Hs Fs 360 technical? Of course not. If you think grabbing Indy, Mute, Melon, Nose, Tail, or Stalefish is technical, then I disagree. Those grabs are basic. Technical grabs are Roastbeef, Chicken Salad, and Seat belt, and I havent seen Randall pull those in ages.
Old     (luke_j)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-13-2011, 8:29 AM Reply   
roast beef and chicken salad are not tech grabs. they are kook grabs
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-13-2011, 10:21 AM Reply   
"roast beef and chicken salad are not tech grabs. they are kook grabs "

Yup, a lot of riders think that those grabs are weak. Nuclear too. Some riders think they're ridiculous. Some guys think whirly's are also stupid. Not my personal opinion, but there are riders that feel this way.

To each their own. Randalls M.O. is making it look good. Open up the new Alliance magazine. Thumb through the first 20 pages. Tell me which rider you see the most of. Now look at how much higher he is than the other riders pictures.

Going big adds a technical element.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       05-13-2011, 10:24 AM Reply   
"roast beef and chicken salad are not tech grabs. they are kook grabs"

Hehehehehe
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       05-13-2011, 3:14 PM Reply   
I never understood why people Hated on Nuke Grabs! I love them, do them all the time. If you can do them right it's like a method on steriods!
Old     (jsweat)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-15-2011, 8:25 AM Reply   
Cisco have you not seen any of Randall in videos he throws down pete 5s and slim 5s like its nobodys business. he also throws down a wrapped grabbed ts w2w 9 into the flats in Transgression. its not that a hs wrapped 360 isnt technical ist the way he controls his body and the board in the air is what makes it technical. Really starting to think that you dont know ish about wakeboarding and you just come on here to eff with people and its starting to get ridiculously annoying.

Dave : is there anyway we can get rid of this douche as he is clogging up this forum with complete nonsense and basically has annoyed everyone beyond belief.
Old     (Cisco)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-15-2011, 12:18 PM Reply   
I think a Nuke Whirly looks wretched sick! How else are you gonna grab a Whirly. Does than mean D. Smith and D. Harf are kooks. That is laughable. In fact, excuse while I laugh.

People don't like Whirlies for the same reason some people don't like contests, cuz they suck at them.

I come here to learn about wakeboarding from other people who post. I don't intend to eff with people cuz I would rather spread positivity and information, instead of bad feelings and lies. Sometimes I sound negative because I criticize the world around me. I need to bounce ideas off other people to collect different perspectives and form my own opinions. I'm not always right.

However, I TOTALLY CALLED that Osama Bin Laden thing!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-16-2011, 8:37 AM Reply   
"How else are you gonna grab a Whirly. Does than mean D. Smith and D. Harf are kooks. "

No one said that.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       05-16-2011, 4:07 PM Reply   
I like doing Nuke to Blind off the Dub and the Wake! Super fun, really techy, usually a crowd pleaser.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-16-2011, 4:11 PM Reply   
^^^^ I'm a fan.

Jeff Weatherall does a Toeside Nuke to backside 180 that looks awesome. If memory serves, I think might actually land wrapped (no handle pass)
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       05-16-2011, 4:55 PM Reply   
You know the nice thing about wakeboarding is that really there is no wrong way to do it. Its all about self expression. Do whatever feels right to you, fak the rest!
Old     (boardforhyperlite16)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-17-2011, 3:52 PM Reply   
Well said Andy!

And I am surprised how a thread meant to honor the great riding styles of Dean Keith and Vandall somehow turned into a argument about grabbing your whirly's nuclear and some significant hatin.

Nobody needs the hatin. Thanks for everyone who didnt try to turn the thread into a whirly bashin page
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       05-17-2011, 4:23 PM Reply   
Paul, I agree I thought this was a great topic. But you know how things roll down hill fast on wakeworld.com! For what its worth, most people who hate on whirlys cant do them.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-17-2011, 6:10 PM Reply   
Most people that hate on any PRO rider are either jealous or less skilled.But usually fit in both catagories.I think dean,randall and keith are all very special talents.I for one enjoy watching them do their OWN THING!