Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 28, 2007

Old     (madvlin)      Join Date: Jun 2007       10-05-2007, 2:48 PM Reply   
How much wake does one really need? When do start to notice the difference . 1500, 2000,ect...
Old    alanp            10-05-2007, 2:49 PM Reply   
i think most people ride on much bigger wakes, much longer ropes, and much faster speeds than necessary. oh yeah they also ride finless.
Old     (uofamox)      Join Date: Feb 2007       10-05-2007, 2:59 PM Reply   
i ride with my stock 750 lb ballast in my Calabria at 20.5 mph with a 60' rope. I get plently of vert and I can crash all day long...I wish I can say that about some of my friends(one broken ankle with two screws, one knee with a torn acl, mcl and patela tendon, and one with a torn rotator cuff. I am running out of friends who can ride.

I am not saying the extra weight and speed doesnt make a difference but I also have a career that I must attend to...(thats why I can afford the boat and the gas)
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-05-2007, 3:14 PM Reply   
(said in my best super trooper voice) I am all that is MAN!!!
Old     (ponte_06_x2)      Join Date: Jan 2006       10-05-2007, 3:28 PM Reply   
ive seen videos of old school dudes doing flips behind boats with out boards. i just think the guys who really can ride dont really brag of talk a lot about adding more ballast. its just the posers who love to sack their boat out and try to jump wake to wake.
Old     (clearlakescott)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-05-2007, 3:46 PM Reply   
It make you get to know the gas man better!
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       10-05-2007, 3:51 PM Reply   
I definitely feel that a lot of people out there are riding wakes and speeds that are beyond their abilities. but to each his own. if they are happy riding a waist high wake at 25, and going w2w only, so be it.
I know that when I get another boat, I wont let beginners ride with all the ballast full. heck, I probably wont ride like that.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-05-2007, 4:22 PM Reply   
FWIW, the general rule we run is this: If you can go w2w 75ft back very well (grabbed and in control), we will put the weight in for you. Otherwise you get to ride without the weight.

For a lot of beginners extra weight only slows the progression process.

Thomas, the whole idea behind a longer line IS landing wake to wake, (as well as a longer setup time for the trick). This takes a lot of the stresses of landing in the flats off the body.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-05-2007, 4:34 PM Reply   
Big wakes make spinning a b*itch... but bigger air bigger fall
Old     (nasty530)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-05-2007, 4:39 PM Reply   
For me, my wake size/shape/width sucked until I sacked my boat down. I am by no means pro but without some weight in the boat it made it difficult. Where is Bonecrusher... I think somebody might be callin you out?
Old     (andrew_moreton)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-05-2007, 6:41 PM Reply   
Yeah the average weekend warrior wakeboarder doesn't need half the wake that most of these wakeboard boats throw today. Jumping property is all about technique and not the size of the wake. But on the other hand, if you like a big wake and think that you ride better with one, go far it. Wakeboarding is all about having fun--don't let anyone tell you otherwise!
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-05-2007, 6:57 PM Reply   
Not too proud to admit, I can count on one hand the times that extra ballast has been in my boat.

In the end, it is not wake that is holding me back, it is technique. End of story.

80% of the rest of the people that ride behind my boat wouldn't notice the difference from an I/O.(no offense intended to anyone with an I/O) They are just happy with constant speed.

"sorry about the washed wake, but I am going to have to go faster to clean that up."

"washed wake????"

Everyone says I need an extra K to make a good wake.... Well.........okay, I'm still having fun.....
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-05-2007, 7:09 PM Reply   
60% of the time it works every time :-) lol
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-05-2007, 7:28 PM Reply   
Bigger wakes don't make you more of a man but bigger penis' do and so do bigger bank accounts, trucks, houses and arms.

Oh, and yeah a little black panther behind the ears cant hurt.

(Message edited by hate&pain on October 05, 2007)
Old     (curtisco24)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-05-2007, 8:03 PM Reply   
makes it a little more fun with a little more air but it hurts a whole lot worse when you fall.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-05-2007, 8:30 PM Reply   
Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       10-05-2007, 8:41 PM Reply   
I am a lazy rider...I like BIG wakes

I've also landed inverts and spins behind "Muffin" a ten foot dingy.

Some of us are relegated to mostly doing our tricks wake to wake. Keeps the knees (And back in my case) from getting too banged up. Still need the hangtime to complete the tricks so the longer the rope is, the better...especially on spins
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-05-2007, 8:46 PM Reply   
I spend all my time trying to get the wake clean at a slow speed so I never have big wakes. Upload

Oh, well, my kids never get hurt trying tricks.
Old     (26lacefield)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-06-2007, 1:47 PM Reply   
i think its really stupid when people add a bunch of extra ballast(and sometimes just the stock ballast) and they don't even know how to properly cut into and up the wake. more than half the time when they're just trying a w2w jump they crash and think they're not clearing it because the wake isn't big enough. i would say its almost a must to be riding a 75 or 80 foot line with around 2000lbs in your boat if you know what your doing(basic inverts and spins) and to be learning new tricks that will take your riding level to the next level. me and my friends out at the club lake throw about 2500lbs in all the boats we ride in but we're out there 4 days a week trying new tricks and are at the level that we need that extra air time to get our tricks in.
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-06-2007, 8:02 PM Reply   
I'm gonna be honest that smells like pure gasoline :-)
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-06-2007, 8:35 PM Reply   
Whats even better is when they fill stock ballast, and then a bunch of extra wake to the back of the boat, and wonder why the wake is curling over.
Old     (elantz)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-06-2007, 8:41 PM Reply   
Smells like Bigfoot's d!k