Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2005

Old    zboomer            01-24-2005, 9:17 AM Reply   
Hey folks, I'm about to order an '05 VLX, and was considering some serious black on the boat, including the top deck.

Has anyone owned a boat with black deck, and if so, what was your experience?

Issues I see are, heat absorbtion, and more care to keep it clean, water spots, etc.

90% of the people I ask are saying "no way, way too hot, water spots, etc." but the other 10% are gung ho, saying it's looks are worth the extra care.

I'm thinking the 90% saying it sucks have never owned one, and are going by conjecture. :-)

Input appreciated.

thanks!
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-24-2005, 9:49 AM Reply   
Dude,

A friend and I just split in on a boat with a black hull and deck. Since we just got it, we don't have too much to say about it being too hot, but fiberglass does not hold as much heat as metal, but will definately get hotter than a white deck. We aren't too worried because we sit on white vinyl anyway.

As far as care, scuffs and scratches will be more apparent, not doubt, but most of those will be on the hull anyway. You could always buff them out every other year or so, or when you get a bad one. Waterspots will definately show, but that's the thing. If you are one who always wipes down the ride and does not mind putting a few extra coats of wax on it, then no sweat. I noticed a huge difference after just one coat of wax, and I plan to put 3-4 on for the UV protection as well to prevent fading. Keep lot's of wax on it and the waterspots will come right off with a wipedown after the weekend anyway.

It's your new boat, you will undoubtedly take great care of it. All black is really nice.

wax me!!
Old     (tcluv85)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-24-2005, 10:12 AM Reply   
ZBoomer - Getting rid of the SSV or giving yourself a choice of selection?

(Message edited by tcluv85 on January 24, 2005)
Old    zboomer            01-24-2005, 10:56 AM Reply   
Thanks Flux, sweet SAN! I keep hearing how tough black is to take care of, then I see a boat like that and it looks so awesome.

Bsflower, I'm trading or selling the (almost new) SSV. Several reasons -- I want a colored deck and hull, and a few options I didn't get on it. It's been an awesome boat though. Just sorta moving up a little, so to speak.

In fact, I'm about to post a for-sale in the classifieds. I'm going to be offering a killer deal, thousands under all the others on boattrader. I've already got a trade offer, but if I can sell it for a little above that it would benefit me, and the buyer both.
Old    sean123            01-24-2005, 11:27 AM Reply   
Micah..

Trading Up??!!! Dont kid yourself!

Sean
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       01-24-2005, 3:12 PM Reply   
Mine is painted black..older 96 PS 190 . Black is hot, especially down here in the south (Houston, Texas) keep alot of wax on it. I hand wax twice a year really good , then do the spray wax thing about every 3-4 weeks. wipe down after every time out and its not too bad. Even though the baot is old I still get alot of compliments on the color. you can see the pic in my profile.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       01-24-2005, 3:22 PM Reply   
here's his boat

Old    zboomer            01-24-2005, 4:19 PM Reply   
Thanks for the responses guys. Adam that Prostar looks great.

Sean, I love my SSV, but the VLX I'm ordering has many options it doesn't, so that's "Trading up" in my mind. Supra will not do a pigmented hull and deck at any cost, so it's sorta an apples/oranges comparison.

I don't consider the quality any higher, other than the interior on the Malibu being more plush.

Anyway, I didn't really care to debate the boats. :-) I love my SSV, and I hope I'll love the VLX!
Old    sean123            01-24-2005, 4:24 PM Reply   
Cool.. good luck with the VLX... Supra wont do a colored hull for reasons... Anyway as always just have fun and good luck w/the boat.

Sean
Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-24-2005, 4:39 PM Reply   
I love the black deck, I say go for it
Old    zboomer            01-25-2005, 12:00 PM Reply   
Here's a photoshop hack of the scheme I'm thinking. Opinions? Excuse my lack of photoshop skills. Interior wouldn't be solid white like this either. Of course, I'd tint the windows. :-)

Red/Black VLX
Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-25-2005, 12:22 PM Reply   
I like everything but the tribal logo
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       01-25-2005, 1:43 PM Reply   
Don't put black in your interior. It gets real hot. I use to have a black and white 205dd. the interior would burn the sh*& out of your legs.
Old     (riverside)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-25-2005, 2:26 PM Reply   
oops (too late)i did not think about the black interior could burn that bad.ah well i wear boardshorts anyway and i will warn the lady,s.i,ve ordered black interior accents and beams.Solid black base,black main deck,black main hull.base moonbeam,hull accent moonbeam.
(couldn,t resist)no experience..... yet.
Old     (nautiquelover)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-25-2005, 3:37 PM Reply   
I have an all black Nautique (picture on my profile link). If you give it a little TLC it will stay glossy black forever. Mine is two years old and still shines like new. I use Babes Boat Brite to keep it looking nice. The black deck doesn't get any hotter than white. When the sun is out your boat is going to get hot.
Old    zboomer            01-26-2005, 7:12 AM Reply   
Paul and Ben, no black on the interior. Gray tones (moonbeam) with red accents. To be honest, any interior gets hot in the dead of summer. I remember a couple years ago one day when we couldn't even walk on the carpet in my old PS205.

Ben, you have a vlx on order? Any photos of the scheme?

Evan, thanks for the comments! Nice to get a realistic one after everyone has been telling me my boat will be red-hot in the summer, and impossible to keep clean, heh.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-26-2005, 8:27 AM Reply   
Evan Nielsen ~ The black deck doesn't get any\hotter than the white!

Are you kidding?!!?
}}
Old     (nautiquelover)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-26-2005, 12:44 PM Reply   
Believe it sucka!
Old     (riverside)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-26-2005, 3:15 PM Reply   
shiping date 31-03-05 i,m so stoked.

Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-26-2005, 4:03 PM Reply   
I knew you couldn't be serious!!

ohh you the sucka biaaaatttch
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-26-2005, 4:05 PM Reply   
ohh and nice boat,you and this malibu
Old     (tcluv85)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-26-2005, 7:58 PM Reply   
Nice! I love that, what happened to the solid black!
Old    zboomer            01-26-2005, 8:51 PM Reply   
Ben, nice! Congrats.

Here's my final scheme, ordering tomorrow...

Micah's VLX
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       01-26-2005, 9:06 PM Reply   
I'm guessing the final product will look like this, only reverse the red/black:

(Message edited by socalwakepunk on January 26, 2005)
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-26-2005, 9:13 PM Reply   
Looks great. But, can you get a bigger bimini on that BU?
Old    zboomer            01-27-2005, 7:38 AM Reply   
Fruit Cake, yep. Flip the top colors, and you got it.

Old     (ccwhite)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-27-2005, 7:51 AM Reply   
WOOT Micah!!! How long from order till delivery?
Old     (magellan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-27-2005, 8:22 AM Reply   
That is the coolest Bu I've seen.
I like the window tint even though it is kind of a pain in the butt on the lake.
Old    zboomer            01-27-2005, 12:07 PM Reply   
Chris, they're shooting for mid-March. Let's hope, it's going to be a painful wait!
Old     (joe_788)      Join Date: Aug 2003       01-27-2005, 5:23 PM Reply   
Damn that is a nice looking boat. My X2 has a red deck, and it does not get hot at all. Nothing will ever get as hot as the vinyl. Even white vinyl will get hotter than the black deck. If you have a new Mastercraft with the 6 inches of grey vinyl material at the edge of all the seats, you know exactly what that feels like on a 100 degree day.

Hey Big Ed, did you ever order up that Acme prop?

Old     (levi)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-27-2005, 5:54 PM Reply   
My experience w/ colored interior is that on a hot day w/ sunshine that even gray accents get VERY hot. I was in a '05 vlx and we had watch were we stepped because if you got off the white vinyl you'd have to put a towel down so it didn't burn your legs/feet. The gray carpet was even getting really hot.

As for a black deck not being any hotter than a white deck....that's a hard one for me too believe. I'll have to test that one out myself before I believe it...sorry.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-27-2005, 7:36 PM Reply   
Joe ~ Naw got some lead sacs for the front though,I don't know why I never put that back on my priority list....I guess maybe I still couldn't get rid of that prop wash!!

How about those cool lookin C & C x-2 steps??What's up with a homie price?
Old     (powdrhound)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-27-2005, 8:15 PM Reply   
Just been through this same thing if your going to have a coloured deck red or darker it'll show the marks so it might as well be black as it does look the business. We ended up not going for a black deck but only cause I am one lazy Mo Fo so lazy in fact that my next boat will be all white with silver sparkles through the middle.
BTW nothing looks better than ALL black in the flesh
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-27-2005, 8:52 PM Reply   
Cbrown,
I think it's time to change that profile pic!!
Old     (ccwhite)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-28-2005, 5:36 AM Reply   
If you get it in mid march - you are STILL beating my mid April date for the Sanger... you lucky bastage :-)