Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Girls Who Ride

Old                04-25-2006, 4:40 PM Reply   
Hey ya'll I have been wakeboarding for about a year now but I have been using my guy friends boards, that i am sure are not made for me. I am wanting to buy a board and bindings that fits me so... i am 5'6 and 130lbs. Thanks!
Old     (wake4fun)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-26-2006, 4:49 PM Reply   
The LF Cadence 134 would be a nice choice...a board you could grow with. If you went with the LF Diva you might want a new board in the future. Because you have been riding for a year you don't need a total beginner board you need something that will take you to the next level...wherever that is.
Old     (tcluv85)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-26-2006, 7:13 PM Reply   
What level do you consider yourself? Are you going wake to wake? Doing grabs? Doing inverts? Where do you want to be?

Bias towards a company?

A price range?

What boards have you been riding? Do you want something similar? Something lighter? Something tighter on the water?

Do graphics matter to you?

Is there a board shop near by that only carries one or two brands? If you want to demo a board first, I would find a shop and see what they carry.

131-137 is a good size for you due to do your height and weight. Try using the board wizard here on wakeworld. http://www.wakeworld.com/Wizard/Boards.asp

I am from Washington so I lean towards Hyperlite. I am your same height and weight. I care about having a 'female' graphic board. I just bought the 132 Syn and my friend has the 134 Blur. My old board is a 134 Blindside Flower (Assassin Model). Before that I had a 137 Mikala (Tara Hamilton's first board).

Look through the board guide and find a couple that you like, read the feedback on the board from previous years. http://www.wakeworld.com/BoardGuide/ There are lots of places selling out 2005 boards still.

Then if you want help deciding which one to demo first, ask on this thread and we can help you there. There are alot of boards out there to choose from, all of them are good.

As far as bindings are concerned, that is a whole another ball of questions (which size, what have you ridden, etc). I ride the Hyperlite 2004 Temets because I can get them tight by myself easily. I tried 4 different pair of bindings before settling on them. They are for sale on Grizzly's den for $180 (http://www.grizzly-sports.com/den/index.htm), but when you call, ask for Mike and say Laci sent you and I think they will give them to for $149.99 - $139.99.

Although I have to say, I tried on the new CWB Torqs and they are nice, no need for slime in them. But not high enough on my ankle to make me comfortable when riding.

Sorry for the long post.

(Message edited by tcluv85 on April 26, 2006)
Old     (criswb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-26-2006, 10:13 PM Reply   
The Cadence is great... go for LF bindings... they are the most comfortable
Old     (tcluv85)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-26-2006, 10:30 PM Reply   
Why are the LF the most comfortable bindings? Please explain further.

Why the Cadence? Please explain further.
Old     (sacb52)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-27-2006, 7:02 AM Reply   
I just bought the LF Minx bindings and although I have not yet ridden them yet I can say compared to the various others that I tried on they were the most comfortable. They feel like they are modled to your feet in a cushiony way not in a tight restricted way. There are no pressure points where I feel like they are too tight. I had tried on all the new hyperlite female bindings and they didn't come close to compare so I bought the Minx's. I am not sure about the cadence but I bought it at the same time based on my own personal riding style it seemed to be the best choice but I won't know till I get to ride it....
Old     (tcluv85)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-27-2006, 7:22 AM Reply   
I believe the CWB Torq are the most 'comfortable' girls binding because they are cushy inside and easy to tighten. Tighting up is the most important to me. I gotta have them tight on my feet and the drawstrings just don't do that on the LF, they tend to slip off too easily on a easy fall.
Old                04-27-2006, 7:56 AM Reply   
I think Laci has a good point ... perhaps it would be best for Rachel to answer some of the questions Laci's dropped out there!

I've been riding for 6 years, on the edge of inverts and spins with a little patience this summer.

I started out with a Double Up 136 Demon, switched up to an 136 Hyperlite Premier then to a 141 CWB Flame and now onto a 131 Hyperlite Belmont. I could careless about "girl graphics" but do care about the ride. I've found that more "girl geared" boards are at a lower level that mens boards are (though this is rapidly changing).

Rachel as Laci asked, what is it in a board you are looking for? What type of rider are you and what is it you are looking to do in the future? How long do you plan on riding this board before getting a new board?

As far as the bindings go PLEASE try on as many as you can, buy what FEELS best to you! Foot comfort is the number on key in wakeboarding. I'm with Laci I lean more toward the Hyperlite Temets, they are the most comfortable binding I've ever riden! The best thing about them is the fact that you can tighten them down to comfort!

We can offer more suggestions once we find out where you are and what you'd like to do. Like Laci suggested, your best idea is to DEMO, DEMO, DEMO. If you can demo two boards in one day and ride them back to back so you can feel the difference. The next time you go demo the board you liked and another board you want to try, process of elimination!
Old                04-27-2006, 8:55 AM Reply   
Sorry it has taken me so long to reply…so lets see as far as riding goes, I can jump wake to wake but havnt really tried any grabs but I would like to.

I have been riding many different boards from hyperlite 3DS and blur to some O’brien boards. But I have not felt comfortable on any of them they are all too heavy for me. I need something light and easier to maneuver. I want a board that can grow with my skill level. I’m going tomorrow to try out some things. Thanks for all you responses…
Old                05-08-2006, 9:02 AM Reply   
I've been riding the CWB Lotus. I love this board!!! It's a board especially designed for women. It's a bit smaller lighter than the guys' boards and the design makes it easy to handle. You can grow with this board. If you're a beginner, you'll be able to advance or if you're already doing flip and grabs, this board is awesome.
They have a "06 used board" section at http://www.shop4wakeboards.com - Check it out. They have great deals on packages. That's where I got mine.
Old     (ozwest)      Join Date: May 2006       05-16-2006, 11:47 AM Reply   
I've got the CWB Lotus 131 from 2005 and it's heavier than my boyfriend's 2006 Liquid Force Watson 134. Not sure why/how that is but could because it's a different board manufacturer. I like my CWB Lotus but am curious about Liquid Force's Cadence. As for bindings...The Liquid Force Minx (2006) are the BEST ones I've ever had. They are super comfy, easily adjustable, and flexible. If you want more support, you might consider tightening up the upper laces or going with a different binding. I prefer to ride loose.
Old     (kylielogan)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-18-2006, 9:55 AM Reply   
I have a Double Up Sirena 133 and think it probably was not the best choice as my first board, but I didn't know any better. And my board is really heavy too. I also use the LF Minx bindings and love them. Would highly recommend them.
Old     (ozwest)      Join Date: May 2006       05-25-2006, 2:12 PM Reply   
Kylie:
Sorry to hear your board is heavy like mine. Check this out...

When shopping for a new board recently I mentioned that I wanted a lighter board and the shop employee actually told me that because I'm a girl, and because girls are lighter weight than guys, that the extra weight of a heavier board is necessary for girl riders to achieve top performance. Talk about full of crap.

On a happier note...It's great to hear you love your Minx bindings too. I highly recommend them as well.
Old     (criswb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-25-2006, 5:35 PM Reply   
The Cadence is great because it has great pop, super soft landings and it isnt slow but it isnt too fast either which is perfect for me. Also LF boards are much lighter than hyperlites and obriens (those 3 brands are the only ones Ive been able to try)

LF bindings are the most comfortable because they give a lot of support without pressure points and feel as if you were on pillows, but still they are very maneuverable (spelling?) I have tried Hyperlite's high end bindings and they are not as comfortable as LF's. I used to have the Sphynx (Minx) and they felt great. Now I have the Transits which I love even more.

As for what board, maybe the Cadence isnt the board for you since you're still a beginner. The Angel could be a good board for you since it has a continuous rocker, so it will have a more controllable pop. I havent tried it but from what I've read it's a great board for beginners that will grow with your ability. Its the board Melissa Marquardt and Andrea Fountain use, so it must be true.

Which boards and bindings did you get to demo??
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-28-2006, 11:23 PM Reply   
LF transit limited edition bindings and Hyperlite eden 130.....best set up I have had in 3 years. The toeside molded in fin is deeper than heelside so toeside is much easier to edge. I LOVE this board. My 2cents.
Old                06-23-2006, 3:43 PM Reply   
New here.....and I have the same question. I ride a blindside 2 stage and other than that I dont know the specs. I picked it up 2 years ago at a gear swap. Last fall (before Powell) I bought the LF Minx.....they rock!!! This year I would like to upgrade my board. I am a bigger girl, (around 160lbs) and I am not sure the size need. I am an aggressive rider and would like something that allows a ton of progression. I can clear the wake, pull off grabs, and land a 180, but that is all I got. I was also looking for the Cadence but was now beginning to question if it is the one I want. There is no place to demo girls boards cuz they are a bunch of chauvinistic boys out here.Any ideas?????
Old     (tcluv85)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-23-2006, 3:59 PM Reply   
Here is a place you can demo boards... and get lessons.

http://www.girlslearntoride.com/EventSite/View/Pages/EventDetail.aspx?EventID=100725

http://www.girlslearntoride.com/EventSite/View/Pages/EventDetail.aspx?EventID=100726

http://www.girlslearntoride.com/EventSite/View/Pages/EventDetail.aspx?EventID=100727

Unfortunately on this site...most of them endorse the Cadence. I like my Blindside Assassin Flower (good enough for the pros) and my Hyperlite Syn.
Old     (xstarmeli)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-23-2006, 4:59 PM Reply   
Hey Rachel,

I used to share a wake/binding with my boyfriend, but this spring, I bought the Hyperlite Eden Package
and I love it.

Know this, almost all female wakeboard are the same as the guys, just with different graphics.
For example, the Eden board and bindings are the same as the Hyperlite Drive.

For the size of the board you should get anything from 125 to 135 cm. At that size it should be light enough.

For the bindings, my best advice is to try as many as you can, and leave them on for a while.
After 10-20 minutes if you don't feel any uncomfortable pressure points, you should be fine.
While you have them in you feet, put your weight on your toes to make sure your heel don't leave
the bottom of the boot (really important).

I hope you find the perfect wakeboard for you!
Good Luck and good wakeboarding!
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-23-2006, 9:24 PM Reply   
I thought the Eden was the State?? Anyway, I would highly recommend the Eden....GREAT board. I am 5'4" 132 and I ride the 130. It's perfect. Good luck.
Old     (xstarmeli)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-23-2006, 9:31 PM Reply   
State is the Blur
Old     (xstarmeli)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-23-2006, 9:33 PM Reply   
sorry you're right! My mistake! hehe
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-23-2006, 9:42 PM Reply   
No worries...it's all a Blur to me!!!
Old                06-26-2006, 9:55 AM Reply   
"Here is a place you can demo boards... and get lessons."

Problem is I work m-f 9to5. I only get to take a few days off a year and I am saving them for Lake Powell in Sept.
Old     (tcluv85)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-26-2006, 11:40 AM Reply   
Well you can usually talk a shop like Utah Water Sports or M & M Water Sports (which both appear to only be an hour away) into demoing a board for a week or two. My friend has been demoing a board for a month now from one of our local shops. It always pays off to get to know the people in your local shops and support the local shops (no matter the distance from you).

The other thing is ask about their return policy. I didn't demo my Blindside Flower, instead I bought it and knowing the return policy was full money back in 30 days with no dings or dents in the board.

Good Luck in your search.