Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 24, 2009

Old     (mossy44)      Join Date: Oct 2001       09-08-2009, 1:54 PM Reply   
I will use the Expert division as my example. It says on the INT website...

- Upper level rider with solid inverts and spins.
- 5 invert total
- 4 variations of 360's, 540's or raley based tricks
- point range from 350-1350
- 5 tricks per pass total
- tricks cannot be repeated

Question #1 - does this mean you can throw flips (not spins or raleys) as your 5 inverts as long as you don't repeat it?

Question #2 - if you want to throw }}5 inverts, only 4 of them can be a raley or a spin (different variations) and then 1 would have to be an invert (flip), correct?

I am pretty sure that's right, just clarifying.

(Message edited by mossy44 on September 08, 2009)

(Message edited by mossy44 on September 08, 2009)
Old     (supradoug)      Join Date: Dec 2001       09-08-2009, 2:03 PM Reply   
you can only throw 5 tricks each pass for a total of 10. It is all based on points so add up the highest score you could get using flips,spins and run that. On the INT website they have the tricks listed for each Division...hope that helps.
Old     (mossy44)      Join Date: Oct 2001       09-08-2009, 2:09 PM Reply   
right, but out of the 10 tricks you throw, only 4 of them TOTAL can be a spin or raley based trick, right? It's not per pass, is it?

I just looked up the trick list, so that makes more sense now.

1 other thing... does it matter for judging if your first pass is 5 inverts (your tougher tricks) and then your next pass is 5 grabs & 180's? That way, you would have an opportunity to throw a harder trick on the 2nd pass if you fell on it the first try. I didn't know if that matters.
Old     (wakebrdmom)      Join Date: Mar 2006       09-08-2009, 2:36 PM Reply   
An invert is considered a raley based trick or a flip. So you could do 2 different raleys and 3 "flips" or whatever combo that works for you. You just need to stay within the 1350 point values. That would leave your other 5 tricks to be spins or wake 2 wake grabs, 180's etc.
Old     (supernatural)      Join Date: Jan 2008       09-08-2009, 2:51 PM Reply   
As I understand it, you are allowed to do 5 inverts as well as 4 spin tricks out of your 10 total (5 per pass). So this means that if you get a full pull you have to do 1 straight air? In the rules it lists raleys as an invert and in another spot lists them as a spin, they must mean invert right? I'm assuming if you fall on a trick it would not count so it can be repeated? Also 180s are classified as a spin right? (I'm arguing with a friend about this)
Old     (mossy44)      Join Date: Oct 2001       09-08-2009, 3:05 PM Reply   
linda - i saw the point list and i am pretty sure i got all of that understood.

however, you just confused me....it said that you could only have 4 variations of 360's, 540's or raley based tricks? In your last sentence, did you mean "spins" as 180's or did you mean any and all spins, no matter how many rotations?

maybe this will help answer my question better.... forget wake to wake grabs and 180's for a second.....can I throw a front roll, a 540, and 3 variations of raleys as my five inverts?

If so, am I allowed any other trick that is more than a 180 or simple wake to wake grab such as a tantrum, or 360?

Thanks for the help. Hopefully I will understand it soon.
Old     (mossy44)      Join Date: Oct 2001       09-08-2009, 3:06 PM Reply   
i think if someone answers brent's first sentence, that might help me too. I typed too slow and was on the phone while he posted his message.
Old     (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       09-08-2009, 4:33 PM Reply   
You can do 4 - 360 variations, and 4 - 540 variations, but no trick over 1350 points. As a practical matter, this means that there are only 3- 540s that qualify as Expert tricks, these being an ungrabbed toe 5, an ungrabbed heel 5 , and an ungrabbed toe off 5. The toe off 5 is 1450 points in Outlaw or Pro, but for Expert, it is still a legal trick, but the point value has been reduced to 1350. You are allowed 5 inverts all 1350 points or under. Raley based tricks are considered inverts. These must also be 1350 points or less. If a Raley trick is grabbed in a way that puts the point value over 1350, it is not a legal trick, and will be scored a zero, as all tricks over the max point value should be scored.
Soooo... if you really wanted to, you could do as many as 7 spins. (4- 360s, and 3- 540s) 180s do not count as spins. All of this is spelled out in detail in the INT rule book, which in my opinion is one of the strengths of the INT system. The rules are spelled out, and if you familiarize yourself with the rules, you can maximize your score.
Old     (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       09-08-2009, 4:36 PM Reply   
One more thing- only 4 variations of heelside Raleys are permitted in any division. The 5th one will be scored a zero.
Old     (wakebrdmom)      Join Date: Mar 2006       09-08-2009, 4:42 PM Reply   
An example: My son won expert last year at INT US Championships: Stalefish tantrum, front roll, hs 360, switch hs 360, backside 360, ts back roll, ungrabbed tantrum, ts roll to revert, hs 540, ts 540.

If you have 3 raleys you can only do 2 flips. Raleys are considered inverts in the INT rulebook. The rest of your run needs to be spins or wake tricks. As Peter said frontside and backside 180's do not count towards spins.
Old     (mossy44)      Join Date: Oct 2001       09-08-2009, 5:09 PM Reply   
ok....got it. thank you very much for the help.
Old     (wakemania)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-09-2009, 5:50 PM Reply   
One of my beefs with the INT is that starting in the advanced division it really starts to favor people with spins. For example, in the expert division you can throw 4 variations of 360 and 4 variations of 540, add a couple of backside 180s and you could do an entire run with nothing but spins. However, you are only allowed 5 total inverts. For some people spins are easier and for some inverts are easier. If they can allow 8 different spins (not counting 180s) in expert, then why not allow 8 inverts? This just doesn't make sense to me. I know you need a mix of tricks both inverts and spins (for style points), but why not throw 7 inverts and 3 spins instead of the other way around if inverts are your thing and you stay within the point values.
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-09-2009, 6:20 PM Reply   
^^^Good Point