Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 14, 2007

Old     (vdzimmer)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-06-2007, 5:25 PM Reply   
Took a bad landing today and my right ear hurts, cant hear very well out of it.... Is it a busted eardrum, what should I do?
Old     (parkgirl)      Join Date: Nov 2001       09-06-2007, 5:47 PM Reply   
sounds like it might be, Ive done mine twice in the past year and it was exactly like that, sorry.

I'd go to the doc. tomorrow to make sure. Usually it heals on its own in like a week or two, but the doc. will give you antibiotics that help out a lot and keep it from getting infected.
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-06-2007, 6:05 PM Reply   
ive had six.

hold your nose, close your mouth and try to blow out the air hard.

if its busted, then the air will leak out of your ear. it will sound kind of like a leaky air hose.

also if it feels miserable internally.

DONT POUR IN SWIMMERS EAR OR ALCHOHAL.

honestly, it is the worst pain of your life if its busted.

look up Pro PLugs, their about 5 bucks and the best ear plugs in the world, you can be back on the water next week with those bad boys
Old     (spenchey)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-06-2007, 6:33 PM Reply   
I second the NO POURING OF SWIMMERS EAR becaue you will cry for your mommy. umm well it hurts like a mother, and can't hear, and the wind hurts it. go to the hospital so they can give you meds so its not infected.
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-06-2007, 6:35 PM Reply   
Yeah dude, my last one was in june and i ended up putitng two holes in the same ear drum, now, i consider myself fairly tough but i was in the fetal position crying after the swimmers ear.
Old     (foxrepdc)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-06-2007, 6:42 PM Reply   
Did mine last year.....the cool part is, while it's healing, you'll hear tones in certain songs you've never noticed!! lol
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-06-2007, 6:42 PM Reply   
I second the DOCS PRO PLUGS. I read that on this discussion board not long ago and went out and bought a pair at the local dive shop. Best money I spent. I recommend them to EVERYONE. Keeps your ear drums from rupturing and keeps you from getting that annoying waterlogged ear.
Old     (rodltg2)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-06-2007, 6:47 PM Reply   
third on the swimmers ear!! i made the mistake of pouring alcohol in there when i popped mine. i thought i just had alot of water in there. well the pain from the that dropped me to the floor. worst part is i was on my way home towing my boat. stopped at walgreens to get some alcohol. people in the parking lot thought i was crazy. i was rolling around on the groubnd screamin...
Old     (lfs56)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-06-2007, 6:59 PM Reply   
^ !!! sorry, but i can just picture that!
Old     (forenku)      Join Date: May 2007       09-06-2007, 7:09 PM Reply   
I've done it about 6 times in my life. Have had tubes put in my ears when I was young. Every time I have busted my ear drum it has almost always produced a little blood, sometimes more than others. Also dropping swimmers ear in your ear when your ear drum is busted is the worst 10 seconds of your life. It feels like you poured acid straight down your ear and into your brain.
The impact of the water might have forced a lot of water straight into your ear and the pressure of the impact can cause swelling and redness in your ear. That has happened to me before the dr. said it would get better on it's own and after a week or so it did.
If it hurts really bad I would probably go to the dr. or hospital. Good luck.
Old     (vdzimmer)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-06-2007, 7:13 PM Reply   
Yeah, its gotta be busted. Its getting worse now, the whole right side of my head is throbbing and everything is muffled on that side.

I hate going to the f-ing doctor.
Old     (sdmjr)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-06-2007, 7:34 PM Reply   
i have watched one of my friends take a hard spill, he got out of the water and there was a little spot of blood on the back of the boat. He held his nose and closed his mouth and you could hear the air coming out of his ear. He is a smoker so he thought it would be cool to try and blow smoke out of his ear but it didnt work. Go to the doctor so you dont get an infection, I have had a nasty infection before and its no fun. hopefully you will have a quick recovery.
Old     (zuka666)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-06-2007, 8:15 PM Reply   
I've perferrated an eardrum before....
Hurt so bad I went to the hospital with no hesitation...
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-06-2007, 8:27 PM Reply   
I busted mine at the beginning of the season I did a w2w earplant so far that has been the most painful injury I've ever had mine got infected as well it was horrid
Old     (bdavis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       09-06-2007, 10:20 PM Reply   
I busted mine several times. The last time I did it, I wasn't sure like you, but I started antibiotics the next day. That helped alot. If you don't get on the antibiotics soon you will start to get a major ear ache, followed by a headache, followed by lots of drainage from your ear. Unless your boarding in glacial meltwater, see a doctor.
Old     (vdzimmer)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-07-2007, 10:33 AM Reply   
Anyone know a good way to estimate what size to order for the Pro Plugs?
Old     (deadger)      Join Date: May 2007       09-11-2007, 6:52 AM Reply   
it will seem like you have put a hole the size of the grand canyon in your ear drum, and will notice a feeling of deafness in that ear, or you will hear some echoing once in while.

Basically is just a small hole the size of sewing pin. Not a bad thing if you have to be on an airplane....as you will never have any pressure build up issues.

don't even think about alcohol or swim ear....it will drop you on your knees in pain. Get some antibiodics to kill off any bacteria and it should heal within 7-14 days.
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-11-2007, 7:01 AM Reply   
Vince,

to answer your question, not really. I went to my local dive pro shop and they had a kit they try to fit to your ear to determine your size. then they just wipe them down with alcohol before and after trying them on. They come in small, medium, large and extra large. So good luck. Try to find a shop not too far from you and get fitted. Hope that helps.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-11-2007, 7:11 AM Reply   
Huh, what?
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-11-2007, 7:41 AM Reply   
billy...vince was asking about DOCs Pro Plugs...they come in sizes dude. and in order to get the right size....you should go to a place that sells them. Dive shops (not talking run down, but aquatic) usually carry Docs Pro Plugs. They have a trial kit to fit your ear to the right size. Go to Docs website, you'll see what they are all about. they are not the squishy foam plugs, they are different. And they are awesome.