Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 20, 2005

Old    wakegal02            09-05-2005, 10:50 AM Reply   
What is easier, a 360 or a backside 180? Both have a handle pass but the 180 is less rotation.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-05-2005, 11:41 AM Reply   
Depends. You have to be confident riding and landing switch for the BS 180. 3, you get to land regular. I would say a TS FS 3 or HS FS 3 would be easier. BS 180 is a deceptively tough trick. But 3's aint a walk in the park either.
Old     (shavis)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-05-2005, 12:35 PM Reply   
damn bs 180's....i keep poppin the handle
Old     (themann39)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-05-2005, 8:39 PM Reply   
I think that a backside 180 is easier.
Old     (brick)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-05-2005, 9:11 PM Reply   
I just started landing the BS180 this season. It took me nearly all summer to learn. The handle pass is the easy part of the trick. In my opinion, what makes the trick difficult is stopping the rotation. Here's some things that helped me out: wait on the rotation until your at least in between the wakes, pull the handle hard to your waist, and look behind you when you land. It was really hard for me to not look for the boat coming out of the rotation. Unfortunately, if you see the boat, you will most likely fall on your butt.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-05-2005, 9:57 PM Reply   
"I would say a TS FS 3 or HS FS 3 would be easier."

I agree. 3s are definitely way easier than either backside 180.
Old     (shavis)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-05-2005, 10:06 PM Reply   
some people like myself though find the backside rotaion more comfortable....
Old    jhair            09-05-2005, 10:36 PM Reply   
It took me 2 days to get the backside 180 landing blind. I don't think I've ever botched one since learning it.

It took me 7-8 days to get the 360 with a handle pass. I still only land it about 70% of the time and I've been doing them for 3 years.

Crashes on failed 3's are much harder, too, because you tend to get off axis and catch an edge. If you can do a frontside 180, you should be able to learn a backside 180 in a day. Start out going slow (15 mph) and practice one wake 180s from inside out. If you're going to try to land blind, practice riding around with the rope behind your back first. Once you've got that dialed, take it wake to wake.

When you land, look away from the boat, bend your knees, and get your weight over your toes. It is a very slow rotation and you should have plenty of time if you are going wake to wake. Don't rush the spin and get off axis in the air. Wait until you are at the peak of your jump, then initiate the spin and keep it smooth and controlled.

(Message edited by jhair on September 05, 2005)
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-06-2005, 10:53 AM Reply   
debate all you want.... different tricks are better for different people. Took me a year to learn 3's but they are now spot on, a couple of months for BS 180's but they are kinda hit&miss, and 3 tries for a TS 5 and they are almost 100%. Whatever, some tricks work out for some people, other tricks for other people. Try 'em both and see what works for you.
Old     (craiger)      Join Date: May 2002       09-06-2005, 12:15 PM Reply   
For me, the BS 180 is easier. Part of that is I focused on doing them out in the flats after every HS jump I did this year, and it paid off when I started taking them wake to wake last month.

After throwing about 100 of them out in the flats, it just took me a couple of sets to dial it in W2W.

The 360 however is a different story for me, I think I'm cursed or something when it comes to that trick.