Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (pickle311)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-29-2010, 8:10 AM Reply   
I'm really tossing around the idea of ordering an FAE in the next couple of weeks, but wanted to get some peoples opinions on them. At almost $500, it's quite expensive for what it is, but would you say it's worth the investment? I know a lot of people that own them like to say it's the best thing ever, like most people say with all expensive purchases. But is it really, would you buy another one if you broke the one you have or if you got a new boat?
Personally, I'd rather buy a new surfboard with the money but I'm thinking about my kid and the CO2 on this one. So let me have it, tell me what you think.
Old     (captain_542)      Join Date: Oct 2006       03-29-2010, 8:38 AM Reply   
I have one and yes I would buy another. Its just something you don't really think about after its installed. No maintenance or anything. Once its in its peace of mind ur not sucking in fumes and its a lot less noisy when on plane. We surf a lot but we also do a lot of sightseeing around the lake with friends who visit so being able to keep the nose up at 10mph on a really choppy day on Lake geneva and still being able to hold a conversation without shouting over the exhaust noise is nice as well. good luck with ur choice.
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       03-29-2010, 8:39 AM Reply   
$500 is a lot of money. But it really is one of the best additions you can get for your boat. It's not just the safety, it's the also the noise. Your not going to believe how quite your boat will get once that thing is installed. It really is amazing. And, Once you have one, you'll also notice how clean the air is. not just behind the boat, but in the rear corner seat when your surfing.
Old     (scottnaz)      Join Date: Feb 2008       03-29-2010, 8:47 AM Reply   
Great addition to the boat.
I would, without a doubt, buy again.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-29-2010, 8:50 AM Reply   
I'd agree with everything said above. When I had people in the back seats of my DD they would just get a bunch of fumes all the time. Now it goes straight in the water making it 100% better. I do sometimes miss the exhaust noise as I love the sounds of Tourny boats but it does make it much more enjoyable. I would put it on my new boat with out even thinking twice about it.
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-29-2010, 9:40 AM Reply   
And another for, not thinking twice about putting it on every boat in my future.

The first time out is truly amazing, when your memory is freshest with how loud your boat used to be.
Old     (jame04)      Join Date: Nov 2007       03-29-2010, 9:43 AM Reply   
I like it but wouldnt say "not think about it after putting on" mine has come loose several times. I replaced most of the clamps with heavy duty ones and that seemed to do the trick.
Old     (rhombus)      Join Date: Aug 2009       03-29-2010, 10:42 AM Reply   
what kind of issues have people had with them? i have heard of them coming loose, but how often does that happen? is it something you need to check everytime you take the boat out?
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-29-2010, 11:56 AM Reply   
They're awesome for both cutting down CO2 and quieting the exhaust noise. I got a mild case of poisoning from CO2 a couple years ago (took three days to get right) so it was a simple decision for me.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-29-2010, 1:12 PM Reply   
Just an FYI, CO2 is what we exhale and is what green leafy plant produce. The gas in question is Carbon Monoxide CO. It's colorless, odorless, tasteless and poisonous.

And yes, the FAE is worth every penny to direct the poisonous gas away from your rider as well as the station-wagon effect on the back seat passengers at slow speeds.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-29-2010, 3:32 PM Reply   
Woops, duuh!
Old     (otown_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2007       03-29-2010, 3:40 PM Reply   
Well I went the cheap route & bought on on ebay for $51 used, I for one think they are well overpriced for what they are. They are patented though so you have to bite the bullet or make your own..
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       03-29-2010, 4:51 PM Reply   
I would not buy a boat if it could not use the FAE or a similar piece. It's cheap, not expensive. You can't get a stereo improvement that cost less and gives that much improvement to the sound. You would have to spend much more to make the interior of the boat better. I recommend it to anyone looking at an inboard.
Add the noise benefit to the CO issue and the comfort of less exhaust smell while cruising and it's an easy purchase. It should be a factory option.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       03-29-2010, 6:42 PM Reply   
I could not use a fae but installed baffled turn down tips which relay quiet the engine and I would say is the next best thing to the fae
Attached Images

Old     (gwnkids)      Join Date: Nov 2003       03-29-2010, 7:34 PM Reply   
Here is mine on a Malibu with the power wedge
Attached Images

Old     (scottnaz)      Join Date: Feb 2008       03-29-2010, 8:08 PM Reply   
Supra

Old     (bmr82)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-30-2010, 6:21 AM Reply   
Does it affect the handling of the boat at all, weighted and unweighted?
Old     (ajholt7)      Join Date: Apr 2009       03-30-2010, 6:37 AM Reply   
Spray Pockets?
Old     (tre)      Join Date: Jul 2002 Location: WI       03-30-2010, 7:24 AM Reply   
I don't think you will need this on some new boats since Indmar now has engines with cats.

http://www.indmar.com/Innovations/ETX-CAT/index.html

Last edited by tre; 03-30-2010 at 7:26 AM.
Old     (kevin)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-30-2010, 8:10 AM Reply   
How well does the set up on that centurion work? I don't know if I like the look of the FAE. Are there any other options that work well?
Old     (trevorg7)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-30-2010, 8:30 AM Reply   
Great addition to my boat as well. Sound reduction and noticeable (albeit anecdotal) exhaust smell reduction while surfing and standing on the swim deck. I'll buy another for my next boat.

T
Old     (trevorg7)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-30-2010, 8:35 AM Reply   
Here is a picture of one on my 07 Avy.

T
Attached Images

Old     (tgoin)      Join Date: Apr 2009       03-30-2010, 8:46 AM Reply   
The cat probably reduces, but doesn't eliminate the CO issue. I think the CAT reduces other emissions, but CO is still emitted.
The FAE would also still be a great sound reducer. I want one, the budget just isn't there at the moment to obtain one.

From the FAE website:

My boat has an "Ultra Low Emissions" engine. Is there still a risk of CO poisoning?
The Ultra Low Emissions standards do NOT cover Carbon Monoxide. So far, we have only conducted a brief test of CO concentrations behind an Ultra Low Emissions rated boat and the CO concentrations appeared to be as high as any other inboard boat that we've tested. If you have an Ultra Low Emissions boat, do not be lulled into a false sense of security; your engine still produces lethal levels of CO.

Todd
Old     (pickle311)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-30-2010, 9:16 AM Reply   
cool, thanks for the replies

A cat doesn't do much for CO. CO is a natural byproduct of the internal combustion engine. You can't filter it out, you can only redirect it which is what this does. The Cat is more for hydrocarbons from what I understand.
Looks like I'll probably be ordering one of these in the next couple of weeks.
Old     (mdaijogo)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-30-2010, 9:37 AM Reply   
Has anyone used a db meter to see how much noise reduction the FAE provides? I am looking into getting one for the noise reduction.

Mario-
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       03-30-2010, 9:44 AM Reply   
Shane/Todd
You got me curious...I thought the total opposite.

From the indmar webiste. but do a search on catalytics......

http://www.indmar.com/Innovations/ETX-CAT/index.html

I still think the FAE is a great idea.
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       03-30-2010, 10:08 AM Reply   
H2Oking - where did you get those?

Every time I've looked for them I can only find them for Malibu's (which I can't imagine are any different than any other rear exhaust type hole)
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-30-2010, 10:39 AM Reply   
http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=756

Bakes online sells them
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       03-30-2010, 11:06 AM Reply   
A catalytic converteer does reduce exhaust CO emissions when a managed engine is running in closed loop as it finishes the combustion process. This is what gets rid of the hydrocarbons and some of the CO. It also reduces NO and NO2 emissions. During open loop running it is less effective.
The standards for CARB and EPA don't address CO emissions and although reduced, there is still CO in the exhaust of modern cars and more in boats.
The problem with CO is that it builds up over time and can take weeks to get out of your system. Some exposure is not a problem. Some exposure over several hours or days can be fatal.
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       03-30-2010, 11:28 AM Reply   
Thanks Duffy

I actually did find those - I assume that they are pretty universal to our style boat and that they just say they fit "malibu" since that is what they specialize in??...
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-30-2010, 1:14 PM Reply   
@ Art, and thats the scary part. I had no idea I was being subjected to the CO fumes. I could have literally fallen over dead and had no idea what was going on. We were out surfing and I was posted up on the back swim pad for quite a while, got up to surf and couldn't breath well and my head was spinning. It took about three days for me to stop feeling the effects from my exposure. My buddy and I quickly added FAE.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-30-2010, 1:56 PM Reply   
Buy it !! it will be the best investment for your boat and health for the money. $500 is not much to keep the air clean and the noise down. It also makes it alot nicer to listen the stereo while running at higher speeds. I have one on my 04 avalanche and it does not affect the handling at all. Mario, the noise reduction is at least 75%
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       03-30-2010, 2:11 PM Reply   
they used to haev a video on their website that showed the noise reduction.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-30-2010, 2:18 PM Reply   
A catalytic converter is called a converter for a reason. It uses Platinum, rhodium and palladium, along with the leftover O2 and heat, to covert the Hc's and CO to CO2 and water. Now, most boats do not have a 3-way cat, but the process is the same. When the O2, CO, and HC's pass through the hot converter, they are converted into less harmful gasses thus reducing the overall emissions at the tailpipe
Old     (malibumatt)      Join Date: May 2006       03-30-2010, 2:32 PM Reply   
Does anyone know the reduction with just the down turn exhaust?
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-30-2010, 3:40 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwnkids View Post
Here is mine on a Malibu with the power wedge
Bryan
I debate on putting one on my 'BU. I have the hammerhead on my '07 VLX. It puts out a lot of exhaust, especially when I load it up. Have you had any issues? Would you recommend it?
thanks
Old     (gwnkids)      Join Date: Nov 2003       03-30-2010, 5:40 PM Reply   
Cliff - I have an 07 LSV HH also and we weight for surfing + 3,500#, I have the Acme 1273 prop and have no issues at all. We still average 2700 RPM at 12MPH surf speed and use 6 GPH. Larry has done a lot of work to get it right with the wedge and at surf speeds its so much quieter. The only thing is at wake board speeds there is more splash from the down tube because its further away from the boat to go behind the wedge.