Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (zap)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-16-2009, 11:13 AM Reply   
Got offered a used XS at an amazing price. I know they are known for their boarding wake but how is the surf wake? I have surfed behind a sacked X2 and it wasn't something I would give up my boat for.

What I would like to hear from is someone who has surfed behind an enzo and a XS, has some a deeper bag of tricks other than cruising with a pop in their hand, and can give me an honest opinion based on whats behind the boat, not what is written on the side of the boat.

Thanks all!
Old     (xxavalanchexx)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-16-2009, 11:18 AM Reply   
well i have an centurion avalanche and my brother-in-law has an xstar...to be honest the xstar is the best wake out there, but the surf wake isnt much....it is alright when you put weight in the boat but its not going to be anything like the centurion enzo...that surf wake will get so big you can surf two people on the same side
Old     (zap)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-16-2009, 11:48 AM Reply   
Thanks Bob,

Yes, all boats have pro's and con's to their hull design and we surf more than board.
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-16-2009, 5:33 PM Reply   
setup is everything.. i have played around with friends mc's (x-45, x-1,x-2) and they seem to require A LOT of weight compared to other boats.

like anything, fly high fat sacs and pop product bags go a long way in dialing in a wake.
Old     (souperfly)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-16-2009, 11:24 PM Reply   
Heres my friends 02 Xstar... I know that I might not have the biggest amount of tricks, but I do surf ALOT behind my DD. So when I went out to visit him I took my surfers... He had never surfed off his boat, and trying to remember what his ballast setup was but I think it was: 750lb surf side rear and 500lbs center ballast, 3 people in the boat...

And yes I know that I have a "pop" in my hand, but can't blame a guy when they throw one to ya!

Upload
Upload
Old     (taft)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-17-2009, 12:04 AM Reply   
Hey man, you gotta stay hydrated when you're out there!
Old     (pwtxstar)      Join Date: Oct 2008       03-17-2009, 11:25 AM Reply   
I have an 07 X-Star and we surf a lot. It takes a lot of weight. We only surf on the port side and run port stock and center stock balast full. Then I have 750 sac in port locker, 450 sac under passenger seat, 450 sac on top of passenger seat, 2-350 sacs under bow seats, and 450 sac on the swim platform. With this set-up I can create a waist high surf wake, but it is still not very long. The most difficult thing with an X-Star is making the wake both high and long. Just my 2 cents.
Old     (zap)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-17-2009, 3:38 PM Reply   
Thanks Guy's

We run into the same thing with the X2, it wants lots of weight and creates a steep, short wake.

But that is probably why the boarding wake is so good.

Thanks all
Old     (vfalco)      Join Date: Mar 2005       03-17-2009, 7:55 PM Reply   
The X-Star surf wake question.
Everyone has a different setup.
Here's ours, and I know it sounds crazy. I didn't believe it would work when I heard it, but its the best I've seen on an Star yet.
Use NO stock ballast. Empty everything.
Just fill the port storage locker with as much weight as possible.
That's it. Only works on the port side though.
Old     (driving)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-18-2009, 3:34 AM Reply   
Falco,

I don't think that is really that weird. It actually works better with less weight. The problem is that the platform is so big it cuts into the wake.

The best setup I have found is stock ballast full, port side sack full in rear, and front pro tour ballast full. I have everyone on the port side of the boat, but inside the boat, not on the back. The wake is pretty good. Not too long, but solid.
Old     (gti2lo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-18-2009, 8:21 PM Reply   
Here is a vid of my X-Star...

Factory ballast full on port... 2x400lb sacs in port locker and front ballast tank 3/4 full.

speed 10.8-11mph.

3 people in the boat..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37-5aFHEZaE
Old     (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-19-2009, 8:04 AM Reply   
nice vid. greg , funny at the end
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-23-2009, 4:41 PM Reply   
Depends, are you goofy or regular?

if your goofy, its near impossible, I had 3200 lbs on starboard side a year or so ago and the wake was massive, but very short, and steep too. It was really awkward to surf on. I wouldnt recomend it for surfing but if you regular its a little easier and you dont get any rooster tail in your face. If you do get the x-star and want to sure, make sure you space the weight out evenly, all along the side in which you are surfing.