Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 12, 2008

Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       11-08-2007, 8:27 AM Reply   
2004 Malibu VLX

My boat is not sucking water from the lake - therefore it is overheating. I have a clear flush kit installed on the intake hose and I can clearly see that water is not coming into the engine.
Leading up to this - I noticed a bad leak at the impeller. Further research showed two bolts were missing from the face plate. I went to the dealer - he gave me the two bolts and a new gasket for mounting. I installed the new gasket and bolts and went to the lake all day saturday without issue. I dont think its related, but maybe. Sunday it began to overheat 100 yds from the boat ramp.

What are some simple checks? The impeller only has roughly 100 hrs on it. The grate and thru hull hole are clear. Back yard mechanic question, but is there a water pump or does the impeller work in lieu of a pump?
Old     (norcalmalibu)      Join Date: Jun 2004       11-08-2007, 8:51 AM Reply   
Well the first place to check is the impellar. Its fairly basic you have a impellar and a curculating pump. Check the weap hole as well on the curculating pump to see if its bad.
Old     (rmack)      Join Date: Jul 2005       11-08-2007, 9:41 AM Reply   
if you were running your boat without water to the impellar, IT'S FRIED. Replace the impellar and you should be fine.
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       11-08-2007, 10:20 AM Reply   
Rmack - Livonia huh? I've got family in Garden City and Canton. I left years ago - too cold for me.
Yeah, I ran without water for 100 yds or so and shut it off when it started beeping.
Does an impeller freely spin when the boat is shut off?
Old     (nasty530)      Join Date: Aug 2007       11-08-2007, 10:40 AM Reply   
No it should not.
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       11-08-2007, 11:33 AM Reply   
Thats what I thought, and mine isnt - so how do you "check" an impeller?
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-08-2007, 11:40 AM Reply   
On the back of your motor there is a water pump thing (follow the hoses) should be 4 screws holding the cover on. Undo those and your impellar is right there. If you have never changed it I would definately say thats your problem.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       11-08-2007, 11:41 AM Reply   
pull off the face plate and inspect.
Old     (blind)      Join Date: Jun 2006       11-08-2007, 6:19 PM Reply   
it does not take long for an impeller with no water to fry
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       11-08-2007, 6:49 PM Reply   
If you're gonna take the time to check an impeller, just spend an extra 10 min and $30 and replace it. If the old one is still ok, keep it for a spare. With 100 hrs on it, it's about time anyway.
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       11-12-2007, 5:45 AM Reply   
I had already did those steps with the impeller, and I have the boat serviced regularly so I kinda figured it wasnt that (it wasnt). It turned out that my in line flush kit spring got stuck closed and would not allow water through. Pretty easy fix. Unhook the flush kit, insert screw driver and unstick the spring, reinstall. Water flowin like a champ.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       11-12-2007, 6:33 AM Reply   
So did you get to ride this weekend then?
Old     (rmack)      Join Date: Jul 2005       11-12-2007, 6:37 AM Reply   
Did you replace the impeller? If you were running dry, it could still be damaged! Replace it, it only takes about 10-15 minutes and it's easy. if you have a direct drive the cover plate it right in front of the engine, the vdrives are a little harder because the cover plate is in the back of the boat.
Old     (rmack)      Join Date: Jul 2005       11-12-2007, 6:37 AM Reply   
Sorry, Forgot you have a VLX. It's a little harder.
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       11-12-2007, 11:03 AM Reply   
It never really ran too long and it looked brand new when I popped it out, so we left it in.
Yeah we rode saturday, but rode on Kat's Nautique. I only had one other rider saturday in my boat, so I anchored it off shore and went in her SAN. Kat had a full boat with us in it - wake was nice!
Old     (mbrown)      Join Date: May 2005       11-12-2007, 9:38 PM Reply   
Dreevs, I had a bad impeller that spun free on the spindle. It looked fine and not damaged but the boat kept heating up. When I took the impeller out I expected to find some debris in the intake but nothing was there. I stuck a screw driver in the spindle and spun the rubber paddle wheel around with ease. It only had 30 hrs on it. So, check it carefully it may not look damaged but probably is.