Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-30-2012, 10:31 AM Reply   
I had started a thread a month or so back about a cell phone phone range extender. I found Wilson Electronics. They sell pretty much everything your gonna need to boost the cell signal in your car or home. I bought the DB pro Kit. $347 on Amazon. The kit comes with EVERYTHING except a pole to mount the outside antenna.

First thing I did was run a Test to find out my cell phone strength. The upper LEFT corner shows -96. (Thats Bad 1 Bar)

This Graph shows how the numbers translate. (-50 being the best and -100 the worst or No signal)

This was my Signal after I installed the Kit. -66 (that's 5 Bars)

The Kit comes with a Directional outside antenna. This is what you mount on your roof and point at the closest or strongest signal you can find. Here is a pic of my outside antenna on the roof

The signal comes threw RJ-6 cable (provided in the kit) to a inside AMP that is powerd by 110. This amp takes the signal and Boosts it and then Re broadcast's the stronger signal Threw a Inside antenna. Sorry I don't have a pic of the inside antenna. But its a Small white Box that mounts on the wall and looks like a doorbell cover. This inside antenna spreads the stronger signal threw your house. It has a 20 to 50 foot range so it you mount it on the ceiling pointing down it will work down stairs.

I had Zero signal at my house Now I have 5 Bars pretty much every where in the house. Even downstairs 4 bars. But outside of the house its Not so good. In my driveway im down to 3.
The install took me a few Hrs but it was well worth the $350 and a Afternoon, This booster kit works will all phones and service providers.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-30-2012, 10:38 AM Reply   
BTW you can test your signal strength on a I phone by dialing *3001#12345#* then hit Call it will bring up a field test and tell you the cell strength in the upper left corner. Remember -50 good -100 Bad
Old     (chadgreg)      Join Date: Feb 2008       08-30-2012, 11:24 AM Reply   
Greant,
Thanks for posting this! I have been looking at the Wilson website for a while but just couldn't pull the trigger. I am definitely ordering it now! We have a cabin in Bass Lake and if I am lucky I can occasionally get 1-2 bars.
Old     (chadgreg)      Join Date: Feb 2008       08-30-2012, 11:27 AM Reply   
What cell provider do you have? Any picts of the wall panel installed in the house?
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-30-2012, 11:44 AM Reply   
Zboost also makes some good products for this. www.wi-ex.com I've sold these to a few customer's of mine.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-30-2012, 11:50 AM Reply   
Here is what the Inside antenna looks like

Here is what the amp looks like.

I mounted the Amp up in the Attic.
The whole kit looks like this, Plus it comes with enough cable to do the install
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-30-2012, 12:04 PM Reply   
Dave that Z boost looks pretty good. From everything I had read is that The inside antenna Needs to be pointing the oppasate direction OR away from the outside antenna. The Z boost looks like it has a OMNI directional antenna (thats an antenna that gets signal from all directions. These Omni direction antennas work best on cars or boats. Directional antennas work best or are more powerfull at a home where you can Point to the signal. But if your on a boat or car you cant be alwasy pointing at a cell tower. So with my limited exp I would say that the Directional antenna is going to give less feed back or ossolation to the amp cause you can point the signal away from the inside antenna. The Wilson DB pro also has a Gain control on the amp itself just like a car amp. This allows you to dial in or reduce feed back. It has a gain for Data and Voice. SO what that means is if your Instalation limits where you can mount or point the antenna and it starts causing feed back yo can dial down and get rid of the feedback (feedback is where the outside antenna overlaps and talks to the inside antenna) and cause's an install nightmare. the ability to dial down the gain make it so you can mount the 2 difftent antennas and start getting signal/
Old     (chadgreg)      Join Date: Feb 2008       08-30-2012, 2:09 PM Reply   
Just ordered mine from Amazon! $388 with tax and shipping
Wilson Electronics DB Pro 65 dB Adjustable Gain 800/1900MHz In-building Wireless Smart Technology IITM Signal Booster Kit with Directional Wide Band Y
Sold by: ReStockIt
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-30-2012, 2:51 PM Reply   
Yea if you need any help or tips installing let me know e-mail me grantwest@gmail.com The install guide has good pic's of what not to do. read the instructions because it tells you what each part does so it gives you a better idea how and where to install each item in the kit. Be sure to do a before and after test to see what your strength is after the install.
Old     (chadgreg)      Join Date: Feb 2008       09-10-2012, 2:21 PM Reply   
Well I installed my kit on Saturday and it woks great! Took me about 2 hours because I had some tight crawlspaces to get into but overall very easy, We have never been able to get service in the house before (maybe a random delayed text or e-mail) now we have 3-4 bars of 3G and 4G. Calls from the main room where the internal antenna are crystal clear, surfing the web, texts & E-mails work perfect. The signal weakens as you move farther away.

Thanks G for being the guinea pig! I should have done this a long time ago.

Field Test = 0 reception
[IMG][/IMG]

After Install:

Outside Antenna:

Inside Antenna:
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-10-2012, 7:29 PM Reply   
Thats cool what was your signal strength in test Mode. I see you had a -95 in test mode. But you never showed what it was after the install. To tune it in you should
point it and the take a test reading and then move it 1/4 and see if the signal gets stronger. keep moving it untill you get the strongest signal in test mode