Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Gnargnar)      Join Date: Aug 2012       08-28-2012, 4:41 PM Reply   
Seems like not many wake boats play the name...why not I wonder
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       08-28-2012, 5:12 PM Reply   
I think that is more something for the cruiser class. Mine always seem to get a nickname but nothing that goes on the stern.

Last edited by boardman74; 08-28-2012 at 5:13 PM. Reason: spelling
Old     (ian_ashton)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-28-2012, 6:30 PM Reply   
It's bad luck to name a tournament boat!
Old     (CobraRob)      Join Date: Aug 2010       08-28-2012, 6:57 PM Reply   
Thought the rule was under 32' and it's a douche move...
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-28-2012, 8:09 PM Reply   
Nothing under 30' unless its made of wood.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            08-28-2012, 8:15 PM Reply   
I made fun of my old man after he named his boat lol
Old     (Gnargnar)      Join Date: Aug 2012       08-28-2012, 8:39 PM Reply   
Except for "still ghetto" on an old searay with tower speakers of course
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-28-2012, 11:31 PM Reply   
Naming a wake boat would be uber gay.
Old     (Raf1985)      Join Date: Mar 2012       08-29-2012, 8:04 AM Reply   
unless you name it something awesome like "whore barge"
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       08-29-2012, 8:17 AM Reply   
Gnar...Did you do a search on this site for this? There is more than enough (hilarious) information on why we don't name wake boats...

As someone mentioned on another string...we probably all name them - but just don't tramp stamp them...

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=791345
Old     (brianl)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-29-2012, 10:18 AM Reply   
I saw the best named boat the other day. It was a fishing Vessel and on the back of the boat it Said Rippin Lips
Old     (Gnargnar)      Join Date: Aug 2012       08-29-2012, 12:08 PM Reply   
Looks like I missed some comedy....I still like "blunt:30"
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       08-29-2012, 12:51 PM Reply   
My boat has a nickname, but I wouldn't put it on the boat. No Stickers on my boat ther than registration.
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-29-2012, 12:55 PM Reply   
We have pirate ship nicknames for a lot of the boats owned by VT Wake members. The maroon supra owned by the club is the Maroon Marauder, the malibu owned by adam van dyke is the dutchman, and my black supra is nicknamed the black pearl. It's like we have a fleet of pirate boats and it is classy. Goes well with our jolly roger club flags.
Old     (tdc_worm)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-29-2012, 1:59 PM Reply   
Naming a boat generally is reserved for USCG documentation, rather than state registration, and requires a vessel name and its port of call for registration purposes. those boats are typically greater than 26' in length and have some expectation of being vessels that have access to international waters, and are offered a degree of protection from the USCG. to name a small, landlocked boat is redundant (from registration standards) and assigns it a "wannabe" status (haha, just kidding). here is some info:

http://blog.dankim.com/2011/01/10/document-or-register/
Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-30-2012, 11:18 AM Reply   
Whore Barge!?!?!?!?!

LMAO!!! That may outrank Sausage Setter now!
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-30-2012, 11:26 AM Reply   
EDIT - Beat me to it! --Where is the sausage setter?

I'll add the photo
Old     (hossdog)      Join Date: Aug 2011       08-30-2012, 12:00 PM Reply   
My old I/O was named Liquor in the Hull. Lol
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-30-2012, 12:03 PM Reply   
I stand by my belief that nicknames are okay. Official names are not.
Old     (GoinBoarin)      Join Date: Mar 2013       03-19-2013, 7:18 PM Reply   
We named our old Bu "wake N bake". Although none of us smoked we argued it meant wakeboarding and baking in the sun.
Old     (suthaforce)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-20-2013, 7:03 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinBoarin View Post
We named our old Bu "wake N bake". Although none of us smoked we argued it meant wakeboarding and baking in the sun.
goinboarin you would happen to be out at Lake Ponderosa in IA would you?
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-19-2013, 7:31 PM Reply   
Its bad luck!
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       03-19-2013, 8:12 PM Reply   
Joe, If I Ever End Up On Your Boat.. I'm Gonna Name It!
Old     (machloosy)      Join Date: Mar 2013       03-20-2013, 5:47 AM Reply   
I don't think the size or where you boat should matter much. If you have a name you like, throw it on. The beauty of stickers... They come off! And "Fat Bottom Girl" Would be pretty funny on a wake boat!!
Old     (GoinBoarin)      Join Date: Mar 2013       03-20-2013, 11:18 AM Reply   
Des Moines, Iowa Not sure where the old boat is now though.
Old     (suthaforce)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-21-2013, 7:16 AM Reply   
Quote:
Des Moines, Iowa Not sure where the old boat is now though.
Pretty sure your old boat is on Ponderosa in Montezuma. We have often wondered about that name!!
Old     (GoinBoarin)      Join Date: Mar 2013       03-20-2013, 11:20 AM Reply   
Frick, I just realized my name is jacked up, it's suppose to be GoinBoatin not boarin. Any way to fix it without making a new acct?
Old     (WABoating)      Join Date: Mar 2013       03-20-2013, 11:28 AM Reply   
From BoatSafe.com (and a lot of other sources too)....

-----
Renaming a boat is, of course, not something to be done lightly. Since the beginning of time, sailors have sworn that there are unlucky ships and the unluckiest ships of all are those who have defied the gods and changed their names. So, is there a way to change a name and not incur the wrath of those deities that rule the elements? Yes, Virginia, there is.

According to legend, each and every vessel is recorded by name in the Ledger of the Deep and is known personally to Poseidon, or Neptune, the god of the sea. It is logical therefore, if we wish to change the name of our boat, the first thing we must do is to purge its name from the Ledger of the Deep and from Poseidon’s memory.

This is an involved process beginning with the removal or obliteration of every trace of the boat’s current identity. This is essential and must be done thoroughly.

I once went through the ceremony after the owner had assured me that every reference to his boat’s old name had been purged from her. A couple of weeks later, he discovered he had missed a faded name on her floating key chain. I advised him to start over, perhaps with a little extra libation for the ruler of the sea. Unfortunately, he declined.

Since then, his boat has been struck by lightning, had its engine ruined by the ingress of the sea, been damaged by collision and finally sunk! It pays to be thorough.

In purging your boat, it is acceptable to use White-Out or some similar obliterating fluid to expunge the boat’s name from log books, engine and maintenance records etc., but it is much easier to simply remove the offending document from the boat and start afresh. Don’t forget the life rings and especially the transom and forward name boards.

Do not under any circumstances carry aboard any item bearing your boat’s new name until the purging and renaming ceremonies have been completed!

Once you are certain every reference to her old name has been removed from her, all that is left to do is to prepare a metal tag with the old name written on it in water-soluble ink. You will also need a bottle of reasonably good Champagne. Plain old sparkling wine won’t cut it. Since this is an auspicious occasion, it is a good time to invite your friends to witness and to party. Begin by invoking the name of the ruler of the deep as follows:

Oh mighty and great ruler of the seas and oceans, to whom all ships and we who venture upon your vast domain are required to pay homage, implore you in your graciousness to expunge for all time from your records and recollection the name (here insert the old name of your vessel) which has ceased to be an entity in your kingdom. As proof thereof, we submit this ingot bearing her name to be corrupted through your powers and forever be purged from the sea. (At this point, the prepared metal tag is dropped from the bow of the boat into the sea.)

In grateful acknowledgment of your munificence and dispensation, we offer these libations to your majesty and your court. (Pour at least half of the bottle of Champagne into the sea from East to West. The remainder may be passed among your guests.)

It is usual for the renaming ceremony to be conducted immediately following the purging ceremony, although it may be done at any time after the purging ceremony. For this portion of the proceedings, you will need more Champagne, Much more because you have a few more gods to appease.Begin the renaming by again calling Poseidon as follows:

Oh mighty and great ruler of the seas and oceans, to whom all ships and we who venture upon your vast domain are required to pay homage, implore you in your graciousness to take unto your records and recollection this worthy vessel hereafter and for all time known as (Here insert the new name you have chosen), guarding her with your mighty arm and trident and ensuring her of safe and rapid passage throughout her journeys within your realm. In appreciation of your munificence, dispensation and in honor of your greatness, we offer these libations to your majesty and your court. (At this point, one bottle of Champagne, less one glass for the master and one glass for the mate are poured into the sea from West to East.)

The next step in the renaming ceremony is to appease the gods of the winds. This will assure you of fair winds and smooth seas. Because the four winds are brothers, it is permissible to invoke them all at the same time, however, during the ceremony; you must address each by name. Begin in this manner:

Oh mighty rulers of the winds, through whose power our frail vessels traverse the wild and faceless deep, we implore you to grant this worthy vessel (Insert your boat’s new name) the benefits and pleasures of your bounty, ensuring us of your gentle ministration according to our needs. (Facing north, pour a generous libation of Champagne into a Champagne flute and fling to the North as you intone Great Boreas, exalted ruler of the North Wind, grant us permission to use your mighty powers in the pursuit of our lawful endeavors, ever sparing us the overwhelming scourge of your frigid breath. (Facing west, pour the same amount of Champagne and fling to the West while intoning Great Zephyrus, exalted ruler of the West Wind, grant us permission to use your mighty powers in the pursuit of our lawful endeavors, ever sparing us the overwhelming scourge of your wild breath. (Facing east, repeat and fling to the East.) Great Eurus, exalted ruler of the East Wind, grant us permission to use your mighty powers in the pursuit of our lawful endeavors, ever sparing us the overwhelming scourge of your mighty breath. (Facing south, repeat, flinging to the South.) Great Notus, exalted ruler of the South Wind, grant us permission to use your mighty powers in the pursuit of our lawful endeavors, ever sparing us the overwhelming scourge of your scalding breath.

Of course, any champagne remaining will be the beginnings of a suitable celebration in honor of the occasion.

Once the ceremony has been completed, you may bring aboard any and all items bearing the new name of your vessel. If you must schedule the painting of the new name on the transom before the ceremony, be sure the name is not revealed before the ceremony is finished. It may be covered with bunting or some other suitable material.
Old     (GoinBoarin)      Join Date: Mar 2013       03-21-2013, 10:35 AM Reply   
Is it a white Malibu with a black monster tower on it?
Old     (suthaforce)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-21-2013, 12:29 PM Reply   
Quote:
Is it a white Malibu with a black monster tower on it?
yep. purple lettering on the back. Its a direct drive
Old     (annq42)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-21-2013, 11:07 AM Reply   
I always nickname my boats after girls from Stephen King. I name it a girls name because of the following:
Likes it wet
Likes it big
Everyone takes a ride
Old     (GoinBoarin)      Join Date: Mar 2013       03-21-2013, 2:31 PM Reply   
Yup that's it, good to hear shes still kickin.