Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 17, 2007

Old     (boss210)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-05-2007, 12:23 PM Reply   
I went in partners in on this boat. It’s a salvaged recovery that was involved in a fire. The boat next to it caught on fire. The people at the dock pulled the plug and pushed away the boat leaving it tied to a tree on the shore for a couple of days. Problem was when it needed to be plugged in for the bilge pump to run due to the outdrive being rotted out and leaking. So the boat sunk in about 4' of water. Well it ended up in a junk yard, the junk yard was full of motor homes. The owner of the junk yard defaulted on his lease and bailed out. So my buddy is a heavy equipment operator and dose a lot of salvage work was called in to salvage the yard & get rid of everything. So he purchased the boat for $50.00. Than there was a torched 30' Bayliner on a trailer that was to be removed. We basically smashed up the boat & threw it into a dumpster. Than refit the trailer to the houseboat. Since the pictures were taken everything has been striped off of the boat and we are working on the glass work. We found a new outdrive and am in process of rebuilding it for the boat. All of the interior will be painted & re-upholstery. It has the 4 cyl merc 175 hp in it. We are going to fire it up soon to see if it will get us through the season. Next season we will be putting a Cummings 6 cyl turbo diesel into it that we got out of a pusher coach that was salvaged.

Cool thing is it being on a trailer one week we can be on the Delta the next we can be in a lake.

Hopefully if everything goes well we are going to have a 4th of July party on it.
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (jpshaff01)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-05-2007, 1:19 PM Reply   
Yeah thats sweet, would be cool to do a restore on a boat like that. How big is it?
Old     (boss210)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-05-2007, 1:26 PM Reply   
30' full bath. Has a full bath, has a good size area up top for a tent.
Old     (skier12)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-05-2007, 2:00 PM Reply   
Very cool project, keep us updated and lets see more pics.
Old     (ryan27r)      Join Date: Oct 2006       06-05-2007, 3:10 PM Reply   
Cool Project would love to do that if I had the space and time.
Old     (jcas)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-05-2007, 3:13 PM Reply   
That boat could be sick. But being on it on the 4th of July could be quite a task? Good Luck. I hope you pull it off.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-05-2007, 3:33 PM Reply   
Nice.... looks like a lot of work, but it should be fun. There's an abandoned houseboat right outside disco bay right now that'd probably be a similar project. I keep joking that we'll nab it and make it the CIE headquarters. LOL!!!
Old     (riverdave)      Join Date: May 2007       06-05-2007, 4:05 PM Reply   
If your going to put the turbo diesel in it, your definately going to need a Bravo Drive to atleast somewhat handle the torque better. Judging by the initial 4 cyl merc, I'm guessing your running an alpha right now?

If you want to buy a brand new complete drive for cheap, and I mean dirt cheap

http://www.sterndrive.cc/

They make an aftermarket Alpha drive. We have one on my chicks boat right now, and honestly other then alot of u-joint noise for some inexplicable reason, it runs perfectly.

If you want to save some money on a new Bravo 1, There's a guy selling one in the spam section of hotboat for 4K (brand new drive 0 hours) you still have to buy a gimble, trim pump and a prop though.

RD
Old     (boss210)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-05-2007, 4:22 PM Reply   
It dose have the Alpha on it now. First we are going to get the engine in it and then worry about that upgrade later. Not looking for speed out of the diesel just the fuel efficency.
Old     (boss210)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-05-2007, 4:23 PM Reply   
by the way thats another nice thing about having a trailer, no huge fee for a haul out when the outdrive dose give out.
Old     (riverdave)      Join Date: May 2007       06-05-2007, 4:40 PM Reply   
I wasn't concerned so much about the speed and HP as I was the Torque.. Torque kills I/O's quick like, and alpha's are pretty weak from the get go.

Post some pictures as you go along! I've restored 1 little boat, and am in the middle of restoring a 20'er, and will start a 24 here pretty quick. I love to see things come together. :-)

RD
Old     (boss210)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-05-2007, 4:58 PM Reply   
Those pictures were taken back in april. We are just about ready to paint the outside, and send the boat over to get rino liner laid down on the walking surfaces on both the front and rear decks and a 1 or 2 foot strip down the side's. The rino liner will be lt grey of corse. Thanks for the props guys, hopefully you'll be seeing more of it on the water soon.