Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 18, 2009

Old     (booth_k)      Join Date: Feb 2009       02-28-2009, 9:47 AM Reply   
Im having a hard time deciding between these 2 boats I wake board 60% and surf 40% Any input would help
Old     (duckguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-28-2009, 10:17 AM Reply   
O man... Buy both and help stimulate the economy!
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       02-28-2009, 11:18 AM Reply   
Check out the Nautique 210
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-28-2009, 11:45 AM Reply   
^^^Ignore the comment above.

Back to the two boats in question... I've been in both and put them to the test. It's a tough choice and really depends on what your goal is. The rear lockers on the x-15 are tiny and makes it really hard to put extra weight in for surfing. However the rest of the storage is great. Both boats have plenty of room for under seat ballast surfing bags, the rear lockers on the vlx are alot bigger though. I like the height of the tower on the x-15 much better, illusion is to short. New illusion xs tower is taller though. Of course the x-15 comes with a better stock stereo.

As far as wakeboard wake goes to me they were almost the same, a little bigger in stock form on the vlx but both very nicely shaped. I did not add any extra weight. Neither boat is really that problematic with weight placement in my experience which is good. Put about 1200 pounds of extra ballast ontop of the stock 900 in the x-15 to get the the surf wave size as the vlx with just 750 in the rear locker and 3/4 mls full.

I really don't think you can go wrong with either boat, I like them both alot.
Old     (snowboardcorey)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-28-2009, 1:03 PM Reply   
Hard to go wrong either way, I've not been in the 08' style VLX only the older style so I can't make a huge statement about it. I have been in the X-15 and loved it. The rear lockers will hold a 400lb bag each if you want to upgrade the ballast which would be nice for surfing.

I never loaded it up with anything extra for wakeboarding and the stock wake had a nice shape and gave good pop, it was super consistent on both sides. Long term I would upgrade the ballast (I typically ride an X-1 or X-Star both with 2500+ lbs) but I wouldnt complain about riding stock either.

The head clearance is nice, I've been in some other boats and railed my head. Love the board racks too.
Old     (family_deckhand)      Join Date: May 2008       02-28-2009, 9:04 PM Reply   
I went through this very same decision last year. I looked at both and ended up with the 08 x15. There were a lot of reasons for going with the x15. Here are a few.

Tower. I did not like the height of the vlx tower. I am tall 6 ft + And nailed my head twice on the tower during the test ride. That said I like the look of the vlx tower. But put speakers on it and it would not work for me along with the Bimini.

The vlx has all the dash and stuff covered in vinyl which worried me about long term wear. A little nick in it and it would not look great. I didn't care for the wall to wall carpeting either. Again long term I think it would loook worn and itcod get stains and such. I have kids so that was a concern.

I drove both and ended up liking the x15's driving better. It has a ton of room for seating. Which is great. The rear storage is smaller but not a big deal. You end up with more seating space. I upgraded and put in the x2 fly high ballast bags in the rear lockers along with the bow bag.

All in all I am very happy with my x15. I am glad I went with it. I went in thinking I would buy a vlx. Was pretty sure actually but after testing ended up in the x15. The vlx has great curb appeal but for my money you can't go wrong with the x15.

Both boats are kick a$$. What a great decision to have to make. Let me know if you have any questions I will trybto answer.

(Message edited by Family_deckhand on February 28, 2009)
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-01-2009, 4:31 AM Reply   
I cannot comment on the boats but on the engine. 340 ETX with Cat is a must for wakesurfing!
Old     (hdchapman)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-01-2009, 7:48 AM Reply   
I was down to the same two boats last year and I went with the VLX. As has been stated; it is based on your personal likes and preferences and I doubt you would be disappointed either way.

I chose the VLX for the following reasons
1. I like the look of wall to wall carpeting; I think pull out carpeting looks cheap.
2. I liked the styling of the VLX better; wrapped dash, billet emblems and the Illusion Tower. I am 6 ft as well and I have never hit my head on the tower.
3. Great dealer reputation.
4. VLX has more stock ballast and bigger v-drive lockers for additional ballast bags; both are must if you like to surf.
4. VLX was $7K less than a similarly equipped X-15.

I also owned a MC before this and it was a great boat so I m unbiased as to the brand.

Good luck and post pics when you make a decision.
Old     (sp0tts)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-01-2009, 8:31 AM Reply   
If head clearance is a huge deal, the Titan tower is also an option on Malibu's and it has as much clearance as the MC tower, and IMO Titan makes some of the sturdiest towers in the industry...

Both great boats...
Old     (yabbadabbadoo)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-01-2009, 7:52 PM Reply   
Can any of you guys that owned both MC and 'Bu comment on service costs? Is the "cost of ownership" maintenance, etc. pretty much the same? I once owned an expensive car and hated the outrageous rates charged for normal service/maintenance and I'd hate to be in the same position with a boat. Thanks.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-01-2009, 8:10 PM Reply   
They will be the same, they use the same engine manufacturer, similar warranties, etc...
Old     (hdchapman)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-01-2009, 9:02 PM Reply   
Ditto, cost of ownership should be the same.