Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 21, 2007

Old     (mrm2083)      Join Date: Nov 2005       02-07-2007, 7:05 AM Reply   
I had shoulder surgery about 5 months ago, and everything was great. I was riding yesterday and my shoulder subluxate (Doesn't pop out all the way) and now i think everything is messed up again. Hopefully i can go see the doctor today to see what happened, god i hate my shoulder
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       02-07-2007, 8:52 AM Reply   
I feel your pain. I've had both of mine reconstructed. Guess on the left one, it was resident training day. There were like 12 peeps in the OR before I was totally out. They were supposed to repair the tear in the labrum. Had another MRI done and they took everything. Bone on bone. Constant pain.
Old     (chad_chinners)      Join Date: Mar 2006       02-07-2007, 11:14 AM Reply   
Manny that sucks. Mine was repaired a little over 2 months ago and is still pretty sore. I was supposed to get my left shoulder done as well but think I'm just going to rehab it. What were you doing when you hurt it again. Just riding or going for something. Well hopefully it isn't anything major. Good luck at the docs. and let us know how it went.
Old     (mrm2083)      Join Date: Nov 2005       02-07-2007, 12:42 PM Reply   
Does anyone know about that guy tony that rides with a ski jump sling. Doesn anyone else do this, anyone know him or have any pics, i'd really like some info on this as i think i may go that rout
Old     (mrm2083)      Join Date: Nov 2005       02-08-2007, 7:48 AM Reply   
Anyone got any info, i've pretty much had it with my shoulder and this looks like it would work good
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       02-08-2007, 8:52 AM Reply   
Manny, what was originally wrong with your shoulder? My surgeon said it takes a full year for the shoulder to heal. After that, it's pretty much done with the healing process.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-08-2007, 9:03 AM Reply   
Manny, too much too soon. I've had 4 surgerys on my left. You gotta give it a lot of time. The shoulder is a very complicated joint.
Old     (mrm2083)      Join Date: Nov 2005       02-09-2007, 10:22 AM Reply   
I bought a sully shoulder stabilizer online and it got to my house today. I think i finally found what i've been looking for, it really helps to keep the shoulder in the socket and comes with a bunch of straps to restrain certain movements. It came with a chart that tells you how to set it up for certain instabilities. Basically i set it up to keep my shoulder in place and to stop it from reaching that place where it pops out. I tried throwing my arm around and it always stops it. I went out and jumped on the trampoline and could do hadle passes, grabs, etc fine. Pretty much it works fine for almost everything except raley based tricks. I really recomend this thing so far but the true test will be next week when i actually ride with it. It seems to be great, except its really uncomfortable, but you gotta do what you gotta do
Old     (derby)      Join Date: Nov 2005       02-09-2007, 1:32 PM Reply   
What brace did you get Manny? I have the EVS II. It works great. But, I'd like to know if there is anything better.

You might want to have a PT help you set up the straps. I tried the manual instructions and just couldnt get it right. Took it to my PT and set me up and now it works pretty damn good. Same as yours I believe. It just holds the humoral head in the socket.

Any info would be great.

Thanks

Derby
Old     (saroberts70)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-09-2007, 2:26 PM Reply   
Give that thing time to heal..brace or not you will jack it up if stress it too soon.
Old     (bennygoodx)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-09-2007, 2:34 PM Reply   
I'm curious????

How do wakeboarders get shoulder injuries? Is it overuse or a traumatic event from a fall, hand stuck while doing a handle pass?
Old     (mrm2083)      Join Date: Nov 2005       02-09-2007, 2:43 PM Reply   
I had both evs braces the one with out the straps does absolutely nothing. The one with the straps is good, it comes with horrible instructions though. The sully one is basically the same concept but alot thicker and much more heavy duty with more straps. I set mine up for anterior instabilities and rotator cuff deceleration, plus i put the leftover strap from just above my elbow to my stomac, but loose, basically what this one does is it wont let my arm go very high, kind of like the jump sling tony uses but it lets me have a little more movement. SO basically i have that stoping my arm from going to where it pops out and the other setup to keep my shoulder from being unstable, works great
Old     (iamnathanhudson)      Join Date: Dec 2002       02-09-2007, 5:56 PM Reply   
Hey there, I have had my shoulder messed up since 2004, and have had surgery. Since, mine still goes out of socket. Here is what to look out for....1)don't drink or partake in any thing that might lax you up, whether it be yoga or anything else, cough, cough, especially when riding. 2) Workout constantly all muscles surrounding you shoulder, You will know eventually how far your shoulder can go before its in "that spot" that it slips out. 3) Make sure you remember where it goes out of socket each time and that will teach you where you need to work out more and develop.

With that said you will have more muscle around your shoulder and you will be able to control where it goes a little easier. I can blame mine to the fact of not following my rehab to the "t" but thats all the advice I can give you from that standpoint. I definitely need surgery again. And its my fault.....but I am preventing a lot of dislocations lately by being aware of these things.

(Message edited by iamnathanhudson on February 09, 2007)
Old     (iamnathanhudson)      Join Date: Dec 2002       02-09-2007, 6:01 PM Reply   
the brace definitely helps but makes you forget to keep strong sometimes and you assume too much and next thing you know you have a quick dislocation that pops immediately back in. Its better to just be aware of your limitations than using a device that makes you forget about them.

One thing I forgot to mention is to watch out for COLD water because somehow that happens to work my shoulder over.
Old     (mrm2083)      Join Date: Nov 2005       02-09-2007, 7:10 PM Reply   
well whats good about my brace is it will actually stop my arm from getting anywhere near the point where it would dislocate. I asked the doctor about it and he said that as long as i dont need that movement, if my arm is stoped before the point my shoulder will not pop out at all
Old     (saroberts70)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-10-2007, 5:41 AM Reply   
Nathan your right. Do not stretch, only strengthen. You want to lose range of motion, not gain it.