Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 08, 2007

Old     (azwakbdr)      Join Date: Mar 2005       06-04-2007, 7:29 PM Reply   
Just wondering what everyone uses to download music. iTunes at 0.99 a song or do you use Napster or something else? Will Napster work with an iPod?
Old     (jkuzma)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-04-2007, 7:32 PM Reply   
Limewire with Security
Old     (pottsy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-04-2007, 7:37 PM Reply   
I use Limewire as well
Old     (jpshaff01)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-04-2007, 7:52 PM Reply   
yeah same and many other less than legal methods
Old     (singapore_sling)      Join Date: May 2007       06-04-2007, 7:53 PM Reply   
I pay 9.99 a month for Rhapsody(better unlimited streaming service than napster)and then rip the streams at night with a $30 program that splits up the tracks and names them. Much better and efficient than p2p, $10 a month isn't so bad either.
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-04-2007, 7:53 PM Reply   
Limewire Pro-
'Borrowed' it off of Limewire
Old     (jpshaff01)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-04-2007, 7:58 PM Reply   
Mike S._ How's the sound quality on that? I'm sure you can find a cracked version of that ripping program online. It's not really smart to market products to thieves.
Old     (singapore_sling)      Join Date: May 2007       06-04-2007, 8:09 PM Reply   
Yeah im sure you can. The sound quality is fine because you're ripping off of a CD quality stream. Name of the program is Real Music btw.
Old    murrayair            06-04-2007, 8:23 PM Reply   
I use mininova.org. It's ok, but song selection sometimes isn't the greatest. And you have to download the Bitlord program.
Old     (nickdakoolkat)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-04-2007, 9:58 PM Reply   
damn mike that sounds like a lot of work, why not just Download the songs from a place like limewire or bearshare?
Old     (firemedic)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-04-2007, 10:18 PM Reply   
Bearshare.com...never had a problem w/ a virus or anything like that. I won't say exactly how many I've downloaded (Feds could be watching) but like I said, no probs.

http://www.bearshare.com
Old     (wally247)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-05-2007, 6:44 AM Reply   
I use limewire, I've tried using Bearshare but when I try to import those songs to iTunes it won't let me, anyone have a way around that?
Old     (aldrichiii)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-05-2007, 7:16 AM Reply   
Bittorent, filemp3.org (top 10 list is great)
Old     (firemedic)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-05-2007, 7:44 AM Reply   
Dustin, I use I-tunes and that has never been an issue. I don't know what's up. My Itunes automatically gets them somehow... Good luck.
Old     (liquidforce1338)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-05-2007, 8:10 AM Reply   
you can also try ares i use it and it works well
Old     (xaggie)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-05-2007, 8:37 AM Reply   
Dustin, depending on what gen. iPod your running just ditch iTunes all together. RockBox is a much better OS and it's free. I've already paid for my iPod, why should Apple tell me what and how I can put music on it? Sorry, I hate iTunes and Apples big brother mentality.
Old     (cbass)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-05-2007, 8:45 AM Reply   
iTunes Sucks! Delete it off your computer.

http://www.utorrent.com/

utorrent. By far the best for getting music or anything else. but remember if you like the band please buy the album.

http://filehippo.com/download_mediamonkey/

And follow that link to media monkey. Use it for managing your music. You can do anything and everything for your songs including tagging, changing the format, and syncing with your player. AND ITS FREE.

(Message edited by cbass on June 05, 2007)

(Message edited by cbass on June 05, 2007)
Old     (wally247)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-05-2007, 8:51 AM Reply   
I know iTunes sucks, I've tried a few other programs and didn't like them, but I'll try RockBox.

I got a 30 gb Video for Xmas, I think it's a 5th gen.
Old     (zburns)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-05-2007, 7:04 PM Reply   
limewire i have many of stolen songs
Old     (singapore_sling)      Join Date: May 2007       06-05-2007, 7:12 PM Reply   
Nick its way less work and its faster. I don't have to worry about quality or selection and i can get new realeases right away. Torrents are useless if there aren't enough seeders for something alot of people don't have.
Old     (treycleaton)      Join Date: Mar 2005       06-05-2007, 7:13 PM Reply   
Morpheus......with trend micro virus protection, of course
Old     (brodie_chaboya)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-05-2007, 7:15 PM Reply   
I used napster back in the day then kazaalite then bearshare then warez and now limewire. I 've heard good things about bittorrent, bitlord. not sure but thats what is supposed to be the best. I love limewire cause I can find underground hip hop and metal
Old     (brodie_chaboya)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-05-2007, 7:16 PM Reply   
Mickey Avalon "hustler hall of fame" is what i'm listening to right now.
Old     (seansmitty42)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-05-2007, 9:56 PM Reply   
bittorrents are pretty awesome. i use a bunch of different sites with a program called azureus and not one virus or spyware object has ever came across my machine. we have spent countless hours working on peoples machines with limewire(not limewire pro) and bearshare and nothing really compares to free music from torrents.
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-05-2007, 10:37 PM Reply   
www.allofmp3.com

www.easynews.com as a second choice

limewire as a third choice.

For all you guys running Limewire, Bearshare, BitTorrents, etc; you really need to be running Peer Guardian in addition. Peer Guardian is similar to a firewall. It's a freeware open source project. The project maintains a comprehensive list of IP address ranges for record companies, governments, RIAA, etc and blocks any connection attempts to or from those addresses. It's lightweight and you can monitor the connections it blocks--it's quite concerning when you watch the list of blocked connections.

http://phoenixlabs.org/pg2/

My profession is Network Security. So take the advice or leave it.
Old     (borka)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-06-2007, 12:28 AM Reply   
Hey Russ! Recommended you this site. http://www.jetune.ru/ Its for free, need just registration. Can help you to registered, if youve got a language barrier.
Old     (cool232)      Join Date: Jan 2006       06-06-2007, 5:51 AM Reply   
its a shame all of us can't share music some how, any ideas.
Old     (bbking)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-06-2007, 7:01 AM Reply   
i got limewire yesterday

i'm sick of paying for itunes
Old     (gobigorgohome)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-06-2007, 7:13 AM Reply   

quote:

www.allofmp3.com

I use allofmp3 on my Sandisk MP3 player but a lot of the songs are now 'greyed out' and unplayable. Sansa blame Rhapsody who blame allofmp3. Have you had the same experience?
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-06-2007, 7:39 AM Reply   
Azureus is my favorite torrent client due to its cross-platformed nature but I use uTorrent on machines with low memory since Java is still a memory hog and Azureus runs on the Java runtime.

I also have a recorder I've forgotten the name of that I use to record off of Internet radio streams. It'll split into individual songs for you. I do that for some newer punk that it's kind of hard to find in stores or online. I no longer trust any of the P2P services like Kaaza, BearShare, etc. If running SpyBot breaks your program, then your program is doing something it shouldn't be.

Peer Guardian looks like a good idea, but it installs its own driver. I realize it has to in order to be a software-based solution since Windows doesn't have a nice or safe way to mess with the network stack, but I really don't trust additional drivers meddling in a proprietary network stack. From what I understand, it becomes its own network layer which will at the best slow down your connection and at the worst make it unreliable.

You could use moblock on one of the Linksys-router-specific Linux distros but those are still a long way from being easy to install and/or configure. What they really need is a hardware router with a blocking mechanism built in out-of-the-box.

My profession is only software engineering so the security expert may have a point but I've spent enough time in horribly designed network stacks to be afraid to throw a new layer into the works.
Old     (jon_m)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-06-2007, 1:09 PM Reply   
i'm in the audio-binge group on livejournal. basically people post their playlists and either request from you or you request from them and the requester offers up an album or song in trade. by far i've found this to be the safest and most efficient way to acquire music.
Old     (seansmitty42)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-06-2007, 1:17 PM Reply   
i work in a computer repair shop and i can tell you that limewire bearshare kazaalite and all those install spyware by default. when u download the program it tells you its going to install other software to support this program cause its free. be careful of what you download
Old     (cbass)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-06-2007, 1:32 PM Reply   
Thats why I say utorrent. It searches Mininova, Torrentspy, The Pirate Bay, Isohunt, My Bittorrent, and point blank. I have never received any spyware or trojans from anything I have d/l from it. Plus you can d/l the complete albums. Not to mention movies, programs, and just about anything else.
Old     (seansmitty42)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-06-2007, 1:49 PM Reply   
ya i use a couple of pay torrent sites also. yotoshi is a cool torrent site that searches alot of different sites. also btjunkie.org is a good one. i always download full albums now with album art and movies are a must
Old     (bzmillerboy)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-06-2007, 8:13 PM Reply   
I started out using Limewire but switched to Bearshare because of the poor song quality I consistently got from Limewire, and Bearshare has a nice search function (multiple at a time). But then I found allofmp3.com and decided it was worth the $.15 per song to know I was getting a song with good quality and the correct ID3 tags. Now allofmp3.com is getting sued and you can no longer buy credits for purchase. That is when I broke down and submitted myself to purchasing music from iTunes. Wow...what a mistake! iTunes might be the worst software ever made, and the restrictions they put on your downloaded file don't allow you to play the song on anything but iTunes player. So it is back to Bearshare for me, which works pretty good, but you have to watch out for bad quality or sometimes the song will cut off short. I wish allofmp3.com would open back up, it was by far the best deal!

O yeah, media monkey rocks! Ditch iTunes and use this software, much better if you have a large collection of music to manage.
Old     (singapore_sling)      Join Date: May 2007       06-06-2007, 9:36 PM Reply   
bzmillerboy, im tellin ya, pay $10 a month and rip the streams. Don't have to worry about quality or tagging.
Old     (bzmillerboy)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-13-2007, 1:06 PM Reply   
Mike S.,
Do you have any more information around your method? Maybe a link to download this $30 program "Real Music". I tried to do a search for it but the two words "real" and "music" are quite common.
Old     (chris_b)      Join Date: Feb 2007       06-13-2007, 1:18 PM Reply   
mp3million.com .15 per song, and 1.50 for whole CD's. I know it's not free but it beats itunes, and it works with paypal. I trust paypal.
Old     (singapore_sling)      Join Date: May 2007       06-13-2007, 4:57 PM Reply   
Here ya go bz http://applian.com/replay-music/index.php
great program.
Old     (bzmillerboy)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-20-2007, 11:06 PM Reply   
Thanks Mike! You all have to try the Rhapsody & Replay Music solution!

mp3million.com looks very similar to allofmp3.com. I think that is what we have all been waiting for, since allofmp3.com is pretty much shut down.
Old     (fuzzball)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-21-2007, 5:11 AM Reply   
Also check out MP3Rocket. It's the "legal" pay version of Limewire, comes with no spyware and has its own built in firewall. It's only like 35 bucks for a lifetime membership with unlimited downloads. I've had no complaints with it in the year I've been using it. It also transfers the files to a folder on your desktop that you can drag into itunes. So you have a backup in case anything happens.