Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-08-2015, 9:33 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 501s View Post
Does anyone else get a kick out of surfers crouching up in a ball as small as they can to make the wave look bigger for pictures?

It reminds me of girls sucking in their stomach's for selfie pictures.
Agreed but, unless that guy is a Hobbit, that's still a pretty big wake.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       11-11-2015, 12:24 PM Reply   
Visit Malibuboats.com at 7:30pm EST. tonight to watch the live stream of the M235 reveal! This is… the one you’ve been waiting for!

Name:  Malibu235.jpg
Views: 5336
Size:  29.9 KB
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-11-2015, 12:26 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeworld View Post
Visit Malibuboats.com at 7:30pm EST. tonight to watch the live stream of the M235 reveal! This is… the one you’ve been waiting for!
But is it a game changer?

j/k - I'm actually pretty excited to see what this boat has to offer!
Old     (davez71)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-11-2015, 5:17 PM Reply   
Anyone else notice the surf seats in the rear that were taken from the X23. I find that funny that they have those.
Old     (CPanner)      Join Date: May 2015       11-11-2015, 6:17 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by davez71 View Post
Anyone else notice the surf seats in the rear that were taken from the X23. I find that funny that they have those.
You mean the surf seats that Pavati had a year before the X23 was released?
Old     (aricsx15)      Join Date: Jan 2014       11-11-2015, 6:36 PM Reply   
You mean the surf seats that have been on an x25 since 2010?
Old     (CPanner)      Join Date: May 2015       11-11-2015, 7:08 PM Reply   
Haha touché. Either way, all these company's steal each others ideas. Who cares?
Old     (aricsx15)      Join Date: Jan 2014       11-11-2015, 8:12 PM Reply   
Only company I care about copying is tige and the damn asr lol
Old     (ILikebooty)      Join Date: Mar 2015       11-11-2015, 11:52 PM Reply   
Any news about this boat?
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-12-2015, 7:19 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikebooty View Post
Any news about this boat?
Yeah, they started the video in front of some big mansion and a kid gets out of a black Lambo. Nuf said. If you don't own a mansion or Lambo, you can't afford it!
Old     (tjb1080)      Join Date: Jun 2010       11-12-2015, 7:45 AM Reply   
anyone know where to find a replay of the announcement?
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-12-2015, 9:18 AM Reply   
I thing Chaparral boats had "surf" seats long before mastercraft had surf seats, even though on most lake, you cant sit there while boat is underway. So I guess the innovation award for surf seats goes to a run-about
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       11-12-2015, 10:39 AM Reply   
You realize the there were other mfg's that had rear facing seats on the transom way before your X23.
Old     (deelan)      Join Date: Aug 2009       11-12-2015, 12:04 PM Reply   
Who cares about who had it first! Shut up!

Forgot my 😁 to make it less harsh.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       11-12-2015, 6:53 PM Reply   
Rear facing seats STUPID. You eat way into fat sack space and can't even use them legally in most places.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-12-2015, 6:58 PM Reply   
Those seats look to actually open up the locker since the previous storage bins are now gone.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       11-12-2015, 8:29 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by deelan View Post
who cares about who had it first! Shut up!

Forgot my 😁 to make it less harsh.
#originalgamechanger

Old     (beg4wake)      Join Date: Aug 2012       11-13-2015, 8:58 AM Reply   
Don't quite know the whole truth to it....but a fellow member over on Planet Nautique who just ordered a new G23, inquired to his dealer on the M235 since that dealer also sells Malibus and was told that the MSRP of the Malibu is $216k!!!! He said the price after discount was $162k. Unless it throws a wakeboard wake that's 5' tall...that's rediculous. Hell the G's and XStars are already in rediculous price ranges (I know because I just ordered a new G23 myself). So far the only thing I've seen is the surf wave....yeah it looks good but I really only surf when I can't wakeboard. And if the waves keep getting bigger and bigger on these boats to match the price increase, then I foresee many lakes coming up with restrictions due to erosion and personal property damage caused by such waves.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       11-13-2015, 9:12 AM Reply   
Brian, That is not true. They still aren't as expensive as a G-23, but they are high. Mostly, because if you order one now, it comes with every option Malibu offers. You will see them come down when you can customize out some of the options. They did this with the G when it first came out too.

Also, I really believe the surf boat vs Wake boat is a bunch of crap. We both want deeper Vs, longer Keel and a 102" beam. Some boats have great wakeboard wakes and some have great surf wakes, but that is often due to technical flaws in the overall design that only become evident a lower speeds or higher speeds. Well designed boats do both very well. have on high authority that the wakeboard wake is a destroyer.

Last edited by skiboarder; 11-13-2015 at 9:17 AM.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       11-13-2015, 9:21 AM Reply   
160 is about what a loaded 23-25 foot flagship boat costs these days. Doesn't matter what brand.
Old     (beg4wake)      Join Date: Aug 2012       11-17-2015, 1:45 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiboarder View Post
Brian, That is not true. They still aren't as expensive as a G-23, but they are high. Mostly, because if you order one now, it comes with every option Malibu offers. You will see them come down when you can customize out some of the options. They did this with the G when it first came out too.

Also, I really believe the surf boat vs Wake boat is a bunch of crap. We both want deeper Vs, longer Keel and a 102" beam. Some boats have great wakeboard wakes and some have great surf wakes, but that is often due to technical flaws in the overall design that only become evident a lower speeds or higher speeds. Well designed boats do both very well. have on high authority that the wakeboard wake is a destroyer.
I never said it wasn't a good wakeboard boat. Just said I still have yet to see a decent pic of the actual wakeboard wake and all I've seen were surf wave pics. And to me personally, unless the boat has a great wakeboard wake too, it's just not worth a dime over 100k. Granted, I'm sure Malibu didn't spend all this time designing such a boat to only have a decent surf wave. I hope it is a great all around boat and competes on all levels with the G23. And I hope the price of $216k (MSRP) was wrong because that would just push all prices of competing boats further up!
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       11-19-2015, 5:37 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiboarder View Post

Actually......it is true. The MSRP is in fact 216k, and the MSRP on a fully loaded G23 with 550 is less than 200k MSRP. (Mine was 183k MSRP with 550, trailer, and every box checked except tower speakers (did get studio elite tower amp kit) and underwater lights. I added those after.

I would have to go through the MSRP sheet again to see what the tower speaks and UW lights add, but I am 100% sure they don't add $33k MSRP. I'm guessing they add 4K, which puts a fully loaded G23 at 190k MSRP.

Sure discount basis can vary from dealer to dealer...... But the average will be the same. Based on average discount, the M235 is going to run 10-20k more than a loaded G.

Nothing really wrong with that I suppose. It looks like a sweet boat. No reason they shouldn't try to test the waters at that price point.

Also, Nautique did not require any of the first Gs to be loaded up....... My friend called to order his the very second they released that boat, and it was a August 2012 delivery on the '13 G23. One of the first ones out of the factory. He ordered with a 409, no Bimini, no heated seats, no tower speakers, etc..... It was a very basic spec. He has added some stuff since, but couldn't swing it at the release.

Also, deep v is a less preffered hull for a wakeboard wake, because of the deep v, not some other design flaw. A deep v produces a very vert wakeboard wake with a shorter ramp, and is far more weight sensitive, and needs higher speeds to stay clean. You aren't going to build a deep v that doesn't have those traits. Hull design will not counteract physics. Sure, a deep v is capable of a good wake, and some might prefer that shape. However, boats with a flatter transom will kick a more widely preferred wakeboard wake, and will be easier to set up, and better at slower speeds. It's just the way it is. Hull design can dial in small differences, but it's not going to change the overall ups and downs of each design.
Old     (YYCBoarder)      Join Date: Apr 2013       11-19-2015, 8:57 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixable View Post

Also, deep v is a less preffered hull for a wakeboard wake, because of the deep v, not some other design flaw. A deep v produces a very vert wakeboard wake with a shorter ramp, and is far more weight sensitive, and needs higher speeds to stay clean. You aren't going to build a deep v that doesn't have those traits. Hull design will not counteract physics. Sure, a deep v is capable of a good wake, and some might prefer that shape. However, boats with a flatter transom will kick a more widely preferred wakeboard wake, and will be easier to set up, and better at slower speeds. It's just the way it is. Hull design can dial in small differences, but it's not going to change the overall ups and downs of each design.
I agree with this 100%. If you've ever ridden behind a VLX, G23, etc with the flat full they are great for not being as weight sensitive and IMO, the best wakes I've been ridden. I had an older Centurion Avalanche which has a very deep V and the transition was short and wake was very vertical. Playing with weight made minor changes but the wakeboard wake wasn't great by any means. Surf wake was huge though and great in rough water.

No one boat does everything well. G23 surf wake and wakeboard wake are awesome but it's a tank and not great on rough water. I haven't been behind a boat that surfs better but I haven't been behind one of the top surf boats either.

I'm interested to see what the new Malibu is like but if it's a deep V I doubt it'll have the best wakeboard wake out there.............not that any manufacturer really cares about wakeboarders anymore.
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       11-19-2015, 9:30 AM Reply   
^exactly

Want the edge on wakeboard wake? Flatter transom (G23 is perfectly flat). Want best surf wave with less weight required? Deep v. (Especially listed)

I am more than happy to admit that I have ridden better waves on stock setups than my G23. The X23 is probably the best stock wave I have ever been on, which runs almost the exact same loaded weight, but is a deep v. The wave size and power was about like my G with 1500lbs more ballast.
Old     (beg4wake)      Join Date: Aug 2012       11-19-2015, 12:37 PM Reply   
Thanks guys...I think skiboarder just wanted to try to make me look dumb. I was gonna point out his deep V comment's inaccuracy, but glad you did that for me!

Skiboarder....what is your basis on the price of the new M235?? The source I got that from said he actually had one priced out at his dealer. Have you had one priced? Or do you work for Malibu? Not trying to be a smart ass...I really want to know. Because if you have better information on the price of the new M235...I would actually like to know.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       11-20-2015, 5:39 AM Reply   
Ehhh I agree and disagree about some of the positives and negatives we have discussed about deep v vs flat bottom hulls.

Deep V's are capable of great wakes you just need to kind of a savant to weight them out properly. The advantage of a deep V in my experience from a wake POV is that they get big a lot quicker, lb for lb, than a flat hulled boat. They always have a lip, how much of one depends on the boat and the weighting. It just takes patience and experience to get one dialed. Once you go overboard with weight on a deep v you can get yourself into trouble, it's about finding that tipping point where the wake is about to fold if you out in another lb at your riding speed, and that's where you make all your money.

That said I find some flat hulls brutally sensitive to side to side weight movement such as the g21.
I think Malibu escapes this fate a bit because of the wedge.

In my opinion, I don't think it is bad if this boat is a true v-hulled boat because I am sure it is well engineered. A v-hulled boat is a great way to get a solid all around performer in surf and wake, however you simply loose the advantage of crushing the boat with unlimited amounts of weight to make a big a$$ wake. But who knows? When you get to the tipping point you may not need it.

It's not really as cut and dry as flat hulled for wakeboarding and v-hulled for surfing. Though each one has its positives and negatives skewed in that direction.

Last edited by simplej; 11-20-2015 at 5:47 AM.
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       11-20-2015, 6:55 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplej View Post
Ehhh I agree and disagree about some of the positives and negatives we have discussed about deep v vs flat bottom hulls.

Deep V's are capable of great wakes you just need to kind of a savant to weight them out properly. The advantage of a deep V in my experience from a wake POV is that they get big a lot quicker, lb for lb, than a flat hulled boat. They always have a lip, how much of one depends on the boat and the weighting. It just takes patience and experience to get one dialed. Once you go overboard with weight on a deep v you can get yourself into trouble, it's about finding that tipping point where the wake is about to fold if you out in another lb at your riding speed, and that's where you make all your money.

That said I find some flat hulls brutally sensitive to side to side weight movement such as the g21.
I think Malibu escapes this fate a bit because of the wedge.

In my opinion, I don't think it is bad if this boat is a true v-hulled boat because I am sure it is well engineered. A v-hulled boat is a great way to get a solid all around performer in surf and wake, however you simply loose the advantage of crushing the boat with unlimited amounts of weight to make a big a$$ wake. But who knows? When you get to the tipping point you may not need it.

It's not really as cut and dry as flat hulled for wakeboarding and v-hulled for surfing. Though each one has its positives and negatives skewed in that direction.

I wouldn't disagree with any of that..... That is exactly correct. MC X25 and X23 are great examples of that, although they aren't really a deep v like a centurion. They are like halfway between, and have a fully rounded off transom instead of a V shape. I don't have much experience with deeper v's beyond that. Only thing I would disagree with is that the G21 is brutally sensitive. I didn't think it was that sensitive at all. I would say it is more so than a G23 though.

Only thing I was trying to point out is that the wakes on a shallow v are easier to work with, and preferred by more riders if it was down to 1 choice. Can't say the same riders wouldn't love the wake on a lot of deep v's, unless they only wanted to ride at 20mph or less.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       11-20-2015, 7:32 AM Reply   
Perhaps it's just that one g21 but with three people in boat, moving inches on the rear bench can really throw things out of whack.

Maybe I just need to go on a diet
Old     (beg4wake)      Join Date: Aug 2012       11-23-2015, 12:57 PM Reply   
A dealer in TN just sold a New M235....MSRP was 221,318.00!!! So yeah, Justin....the MSRP is over $200k!
Old     (riddick)      Join Date: Jan 2010       11-23-2015, 1:41 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by beg4wake View Post
A dealer in TN just sold a New M235....MSRP was 221,318.00!!! So yeah, Justin....the MSRP is over $200k!
Hahaha. that is crazy. I do not get it. Obviously, Malibu is planning on not selling a lot of these things. I would love to see their margin on this boat. Buy now, so you can have a limited #7 out of 37 M235s built in 2016!!
Old     (Rusty)      Join Date: Mar 2014       11-23-2015, 2:31 PM Reply   
That's insane. You could almost buy two G21s for that. Guess that dude was driving the Lambo with the 99 problems shirt.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       11-23-2015, 3:58 PM Reply   
I was wrong. When I was told the retail price, my brain flat out rejected it. They said 216 and I heard $160...

I'm a long term Malibu guy and this will be an interesting experiment.
Old     (matty_gs)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-23-2015, 6:10 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by riddick View Post
Hahaha. that is crazy. I do not get it. Obviously, Malibu is planning on not selling a lot of these things. I would love to see their margin on this boat. Buy now, so you can have a limited #7 out of 37 M235s built in 2016!!
Can confirm. Buddy just got one quoted and said it was "220k+".
Old     (Khyber)      Join Date: Mar 2013       11-23-2015, 6:13 PM Reply   
Unless you are a pro, who really needs this boat especially with a price point like that?
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-23-2015, 7:42 PM Reply   
These boats are not for pro's, they are for those folks on the complete other end of the spectrum, no doubt about it. They are for the other professionals, that have a wife and 3.25 kids
Old     (beg4wake)      Join Date: Aug 2012       11-24-2015, 8:10 AM Reply   
After discounts, these things are coming in above the MSRP of a fully loaded G! Yeah these things are definitely going to be marketed more towards those who have more money than skill. The family man who lives in a $million+ home on the lake who drives a G-Wagon daily and a Ferrari on the weekends and has a trophy wife and a few kids. Sounds like this boat will be about bragging rights more than anything! Even if it is better than a G...it can't be THAT MUCH better than a G. I can almost see this price point on such a boat as the X26 from Mastercraft (considering it is 26+ feet long and can be optioned with an onboard bathroom!) because of the size and convenience of it...but not a boat which is directly competing with the likes of the XStar, the X23, the G23, and the Supra SA which can all be had for WAYYYYYY less than this boat and are every bit as nice. I mean, isn't the principle of competition to PROVIDE A BETTER PRODUCT FOR THE SAME PRICE OR LESS?!! Like I said, even if it is a little bit better, I really feel they have priced their selves out of the market. Unless, as somebody stated above, this is just to get people looking at a Malibu so that they can then push them off on a 23LSV or another model. Just a few of my thoughts...
Old     (andrew_moreton)      Join Date: Feb 2003       11-24-2015, 11:44 AM Reply   
That was my thought. This boat is priced way above the G25 and the X26, but is a smaller boat. Someone is going to have to be really partial to Malibu to purchase this boat over the boats listed above for way more money.
Old     (davez71)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-24-2015, 2:19 PM Reply   
Malibu is a nice boat and reputable company but I think they are off their rocker. there is not a 23ft boat worth over 150K much less 200K. you could buy two moderately equipped X30s or 230s for that price and by the looks of the boat Im not sold.

Without a doubt Nautigue and MC are better built boat. People may think I'm crazy but take a MC/CC through chop and you will see the construction difference. The CC/MC are a more solid construction and it shows on their boats. I own three malibus and while they are great boats, MC/CC are on another level to me.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       11-24-2015, 3:10 PM Reply   
Think about this. $220k USD is $292,677 Canadian.

wowzers.
Old     (wakesk8er2)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-25-2015, 7:53 AM Reply   
I will retract my previous statement about this boat trying to pull G customers. Judging by the video posted on the home page, Malibu seems to be marketing this boat as a cool toy to keep on or next to your yacht. A boat for "the 1%" as our liberal friends may say.
Old     (all2matt)      Join Date: Apr 2015       11-25-2015, 8:01 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakesk8er2 View Post
I will retract my previous statement about this boat trying to pull G customers. Judging by the video posted on the home page, Malibu seems to be marketing this boat as a cool toy to keep on or next to your yacht. A boat for "the 1%" as our liberal friends may say.
I would say the top 1% of 1%ers, $220,000 wakeboarding boats? double the release price of the very best boat from 4 yrs ago (2013 g23)
Old     (wakesk8er2)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-26-2015, 5:29 PM Reply   
This is a $220,000 surfing boat.
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       11-27-2015, 2:04 PM Reply   
$220K for a wakeboat is dumb AF! What makes that boat worth that much? If I spent a 1/4 mill on a boat and still only got a waist high wave I'd be so pissed!
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-28-2015, 7:53 AM Reply   
You guys have to remember that $200,000 to some, is like $200 to most of us. This boat is going to be sold to those who are not concerned with price.

There's no shortage of money in this world.
Old     (CHUCK_K)      Join Date: Aug 2015       11-28-2015, 8:30 AM Reply   
I'd rather buy a yacht with 220k. Just my .02.
Old     (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       11-28-2015, 8:41 AM Reply   
In this entire thread.. the craziest thing I see is someone claiming a G is terrible in rough water.
Old     (deelan)      Join Date: Aug 2009       11-28-2015, 12:01 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator View Post
In this entire thread.. the craziest thing I see is someone claiming a G is terrible in rough water.

Agreed ☝️☝
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       11-28-2015, 4:59 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator View Post
Saying it's terrible is certainly a stretch. It's "ok" in rough water.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-28-2015, 9:38 PM Reply   
lol.... rough water ride??? I understand that this is a concern to some people, but I have no idea why. There are a lot of different reasons to buy a wakeboat... layout, status, looks, styling, trend, partying, family fun.... but THE reason we buy wake boats is how it performs on smooth water. This is the antithesis of how it performs in rough water. Do not pay $100k+ dollars on a wake boat if you need it to perform well in rough water. When the water gets rough, put the boat on the trailer.

Also, what year do you think I will be able to buy a used 2016 M235 for under $100,000 ? 2025? 2030 maybe?
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       11-29-2015, 6:21 AM Reply   
^ Believe it or not, MOST people actually use these wakeboats for many other things...... Like surfing during the middle of the day when the water is not glass. And even sometimes, they use these things as a runabout and for general socializing/cruising and fun on the water (I know, I can't believe it either)......

"Do not spend 100k+ on a wake boat if you need it to perform well in rough water"?? Really??

If hitting the 6am glass is the only important thing with these boats....... Spending 100k on one is absolutely laughable if you plan to use it for nothing else. You may as well spend 50k on a stripped wakeboat, and 50k+ on a runabout.

But for me, I'd rather just have the one boat and have it be well balanced for all uses.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-29-2015, 7:04 PM Reply   
Thank you for disagreeing with my post and then copying it and moving some words around so it sounds like different from what I said, and then describing me to a T.

I do believe people use these things for "many other things", as I implied. I guess I do not understand the "rough water ride". I am out in big water a few times a year and see rough water, but would never dream of surfing that, in fact I would only cruise around on it in a 28'+ powerboat. Small lake "rough water" and water princess "rough water" (such as myself) are not what I imagine when people say "rough water". If you can surf in it, then it is probably not that rough. I just don't understand why the rough water appears to be such a high priority. The G throws the best stock wake in the history of wake boats.... no where, imo, should there be any comment, good or bad, about the rough water ride. Before the G, the 3rd Gen Xstar arguably had the best wake (I thought so), but it could not turn to save its life, really was like a tug boat. BUT, I laughed at that complaint too because it is a wakeboard boat, it is meant to go straight, perfectly straight.... lol.

And the 50k for a wakeboat is exactly correct. I did it. I use my boat 85-90% of the time to wakeboard only. It does well at Powell and Havasu, but for 10% use on big lakes, I did not even consider "rough water ride". I haven't spent 50k on a runabout... yet. I am looking into an old 70's open bow outboard 18 foot for a few hundred dollars for those really rough days
Old     (Truekaotik)      Join Date: Jun 2012       11-29-2015, 7:17 PM Reply   
Pay and spend are the same thing.. Nothing else was changed... You said what you said... Going back won't help any...
Yes people have different objectives than you for the boat they buy. You will be ok...
You would be surprised how many rich kids run in "rough" water to surf... Just saying...

And best wake? Or wave?
Wave is up there but not the best by a long shot...

Last edited by Truekaotik; 11-29-2015 at 7:21 PM.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-29-2015, 7:23 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truekaotik View Post
Pay and spend are the same thing.. Nothing else was changed... You said what you said... Going back won't help any...
Yes people have different objectives than you for the boat they buy. You will be ok...
You would be surprised how many rich kids run in "rough" water to surf... Just saying...
lol, I wasn't referencing the incorrect quote of "pay" and "spend", I didn't notice that. I was just saying that I do understand that people buy and use wake-specific boats for all different reasons not related to wakeboarding.... but he goes on to lecture me as if I did not understand that. No big deal.

Nice catch though on your part... Lawyer? Teacher?
Old     (Truekaotik)      Join Date: Jun 2012       11-29-2015, 7:23 PM Reply   
That 70's open bow wil beat you silly and get you wet in rough water also... Just FYI.. 20 plus feet if you want over 20mph in a I/O bud..
Old     (Truekaotik)      Join Date: Jun 2012       11-29-2015, 7:26 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_defacto View Post
lol, I wasn't referencing the incorrect quote of "pay" and "spend", I didn't notice that. I was just saying that I do understand that people buy and use wake-specific boats for all different reasons not related to wakeboarding.... but he goes on to lecture me as if I did not understand that. No big deal.

Nice catch though on your part... Lawyer? Teacher?
No you specifically said he changed words around bud... Come on now..

Neither... But you say they shouldn't use them but for wake sports and if they do don't complain?. Not the case in this day and age. Everyone wants a wakeboat that can cross as many things off their list as possible. Just life...

Last edited by Truekaotik; 11-29-2015 at 7:30 PM.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-29-2015, 8:19 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truekaotik View Post
No you specifically said he changed words around bud... Come on now..

Neither... But you say they shouldn't use them but for wake sports and if they do don't complain?. Not the case in this day and age. Everyone wants a wakeboat that can cross as many things off their list as possible. Just life...
I see how that was misleading, I didn't mean he literally just moved a few words around, I meant that he said what I was saying in a different way. We were in agreement that people buy wake boats for all sorts of reasons other than wakeboarding. (I chose to be a little tongue-in-cheek BUT still accurate and named things such as "layout, status, looks, styling, trend, partying, family fun", and "family fun" is very broad which can and did include running about and playing on the water. I was in total agreement with him. But that doesn't matter. He just mis understood what I was saying, partly my fault for not being more clear.

I never said that "they shouldn't use them but for wake sports and if they do don't complain". First off that sentence doesn't even make sense. I said that THE reason for wake boats is the smooth water performance... as in the wake. I.E. "Wake boat". To complain that it doesn't have desirable handling characteristics on water conditions that it was not designed to excel in is asinine. You can complain about it, if you want to, but I was just expressing my disbelief that people actually complain about it, out loud, in public, on a WAKE boarding forum of all places. In my opinion, it is similar to complaining that your Porsche GT4 was not very comfortable during that 15 hour drive to Salt Lake City, on a Porsche forum,

Okay, now that that's all cleared up. Can we see some better wake pictures? Or for those "special" wake boat customers out there, can we see the IRI (International Roughness Index) of this boat in rough water, defined as white caps on 80% of the wind or boat generated waves, using the GMR profilometer? I will not buy this boat unless the IRI is less than 80% over a 15 mile straight run.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-29-2015, 8:21 PM Reply   
And the 18 foot I/O was a joke.... I would not run chop in an old 18' I/O... or a 23 foot wakeboat.
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       11-30-2015, 5:27 AM Reply   
Quote:
lol.... rough water ride??? I understand that this is a concern to some people, but I have no idea why.

Quote:
I mean...... I didn't mean to lecture, but you did say you had no idea why.....

So, if the absolute best wake is all that matters, we are to assume that a G is the only boat anyone should have? Nothing else matters? There are lots of great wakes behind lots of great boats, and lots of them have smooth, dry, rides.

I think we all understand that it isn't important to you, but it is important to many others.

Having a smooth ride is obviously not a huge deal for me...... Or else I would have a different boat. That doesn't mean that it shouldn't be a big deal for others...
Old     (powercorps)      Join Date: Nov 2006       11-30-2015, 8:07 AM Reply   
I am very excited to ride behind it! I wont judge a boat until I hear reports on the ride.
Old     (YYCBoarder)      Join Date: Apr 2013       11-30-2015, 8:48 AM Reply   
It looks like my original comment started this debate about rough water. If you read my original post again I said that it says that the G23 is "not great" on rough water. It doesn't porpoise like a lot of 20 footers but you get a lot of spray in rough-ish water (and I'm not talking about 2 ft swells) . I love to wakeboard so we're normally looking for glass where we can drive in a straight line - IMO, nothing touches the G23 wakeboard wake which is most important to us. If all I did was surf and cruise I would have bought something else - lots of boats have a good layout, surf as good (or better) and you don't get the spray.

It amazes me about how sensitive people get about someone saying anything negative about their favorite boat - it's a great boat but isn't the best at everything (and we don't all use our boats for the same things).
Old     (beg4wake)      Join Date: Aug 2012       12-02-2015, 8:59 AM Reply   
Just throwing this out there....but I know a lot of people who are concerned about the ride of a boat across rough water because they actually have to cruise a decent ways through rougher water to get to that glassy spot on the lake to actually wakeboard. You get that a lot actually on bigger lakes.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-07-2015, 10:40 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by beg4wake View Post
Just throwing this out there....but I know a lot of people who are concerned about the ride of a boat across rough water because they actually have to cruise a decent ways through rougher water to get to that glassy spot on the lake to actually wakeboard. You get that a lot actually on bigger lakes.
Yeah man, I can see this could be an issue. I never really thought of it because the big lakes I go to, if it is windy enough to white cap the lake, then you are basically SOL everywhere else to wakeboard, but there are thousands of lakes that I have not been to and it makes sense that you do not want to beat the piss out of your boat for miles on end getting to your ride spot....
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       12-08-2015, 5:46 AM Reply   
Quote:
Yeah man, I can see this could be an issue. I never really thought of it because the big lakes I go to, if it is windy enough to white cap the lake, then you are basically SOL everywhere else to wakeboard, but there are thousands of lakes that I have not been to and it makes sense that you do not want to beat the piss out of your boat for miles on end getting to your ride spot....

Yeah for most part I also agree if it's so busy and windy that u get beat driving across the lake then it's not worth the time and energy for me to want to ride anyway!

But with that said guys that are stuck on the lake and need to ride and often have to cross against wind or what not I could see the importance of ride quality coming into play. But seriously these heavy 23' plus boats all ride decent enough to satisfy this requirement.
Old     (MCObray)      Join Date: Mar 2013       01-06-2016, 11:25 AM Reply   
If anybody is in the greater Portland, OR. area come check it out in person at the 2016 Portland Boat Show (Jan. 13th - Jan. 17th).
2016 Malibu Boats M235. by Mason Obray, on Flickr