Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 28, 2009

Old     (boynepat)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-16-2009, 9:09 AM Reply   
I have an 05 gravity games 22ssv. When I took the boat out for the first time this year turning the steering wheel was a challenge. We have drove it a couple times since then and still no improvements. Anyone have this problem or know how to fix it?
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-16-2009, 9:11 AM Reply   
Replace the cable.
Old     (nubb)      Join Date: May 2006       06-16-2009, 10:00 AM Reply   
As George said, its the cable. I replaced mine last year. With help from a friend it shouldnt take anymore than an hour.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       06-16-2009, 10:49 AM Reply   
it's the cable, alot of 03,04, and 05's had the cables go out on them from what my dealer had told me. On my 04 my cable went out at 100 hours.

My 07 has close to 300 on it, no problems at all.
Old     (boynepat)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-17-2009, 2:07 PM Reply   
thanks looks like ill be replacing the cable this weekend
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-17-2009, 4:04 PM Reply   
Many people talk about tieing a rope and pulling the cable through. I've tried that twice with no success. On a friends 03 Supra SSV the cable was zip tied under the floor with electrical wires above the gas tank. If you remove the center floor you can feed the cable from the center to the front and then rear. The hardest part is the clamp under the engine.
Old     (ridininmd)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-17-2009, 7:10 PM Reply   
Here's a write up a did a while back on replacing the steering cable in my 03 ssv, same set up as the 05. Pretty easy stuff.

First disconnect the steering cable from the rudder. You should be able to easily turn the rudder by hand with it disconnected. If you can't the rudder assembly is bad and needs to be replaced. If it does turn easily you need to replace your steering cable.

Take the back seat and v-drive cover out. Then remove the two floor panels, there are screws in the corners. You might need to feel around for them a little the carpet might be covering the screw heads. Then you'll want to pull the front wall of the drivers footwell out. Again the screws will be in the corners. You'll also want to pull the wall out of the rear compartment on the passenger side so you can reach the cable at the rudder.

Once you have all that out it's pretty simple to replace the cable. Disconnect the rack from the back of the helm and pull the old cable out from the front.

Then feed your new one in, there is a hole that it runs down through behind the wall in the foot well that you removed. That runs into a kind of conduit that runs back towards the gas tank. It should be a pretty easy feed. Just have a buddy watch for it to come out the other side and then pull it to the back. Hook it up to the rudder assembly, and to the back of the wheel. Put the floors back in and you're done.

The whole thing took two of us about an hour and a half. I had read that you should tie a string to the old one when you pull it out. But if you pull the floors you don't need to do that. It takes about 5 minutes to get the floors out of there so it's worth pulling them from the start. There is only about a two foot run from the hole in the front under the drivers seat that you won't be able to see the cable. And that part is running through a built in passage so you really can't miss.

Here's the cable you'll need at Ski-Dim
http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=TELSSC13420
I got it cheaper from the factory though, the skiers choice part number is 106285

Good luck, shoot me a email or PM if you have any other questions, but that should pretty much cover you.

(Message edited by ridininmd on June 17, 2009)
Old     (ridininmd)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-17-2009, 7:13 PM Reply   
also there is a zerk fitting on the rudder, go ahead and grease that up while you're back there.
Old     (bfnaci)      Join Date: Dec 2008       06-17-2009, 9:24 PM Reply   
I was told the key to long cable life is keeping water out of your hull. The cables are open on the ends and when they take on water at the ends they wear out much faster.
I've had some last 400 hrs and other last only 100+.