Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (mmobius2001)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-26-2010, 2:10 AM Reply   
hey guys, just spent 9.5 hrs detailing my boat. (i confess besides the wipe downs here and there i have been neglecting my boat for almost 3 years!!) after getting a little new boat fever decided to just try and make mine like new again. (hopefully keep it that way)

Boat: 2006 Moomba Mobius LSV w/ 310hrs

1st off let me post that Malco is AWESOME! here is a pic of side by side treated/untreated vinyl:

Left is treated, right is untreated

top is treated, bottom untreated

NOW THE FINISHED PRODUCT

Interior:
products used: Malco Leather/Plastic cleaner, 303 protectant, regular vacuum, Blue-Corral Dry clean, Vinegar/Water 50/50 mix for fiberglass around bottom, Starbrite All Purpose for dash and spot cleaner. Also removed all cup holders and washed them in dishwasher

Outside:
products used: Rain-X bug and tar remover, Meguirs Marine Wash, Meguirs Boat Wax, Meguirs detail wax (all above rub rail)

Old     (mmobius2001)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-26-2010, 2:14 AM Reply   
All pictures were taken w/ my new Pantech Phone through AT&T, only $29.99 upgrade price, awesome little phone if you dont want a data plan i.e iphone.

also i'll be putting all new speakers in this weekend going from the 5yr old kickers (came out of old boat) to all new Polk DB651's i'll post some pics of those after i get them installed w/ before/after.
Old     (MoombaRiderJ)      Join Date: Jun 2010       08-26-2010, 4:40 AM Reply   
Hey Phil,

Great looking boat...I have an 06 Moomba Outback...indentical color scheme. I need help addressing my upholstery. I clean my boat after every use on the outside and every other use on the inside. Where is this cleaner located and what is the exact name? I have some spotting that I can get to come clean.

Jeremy
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-26-2010, 6:51 AM Reply   
Very nice... Love that feeling of bringing the boat back to life....
FYI- If you want to save some money next time instead of spending it on Malco, I am pretty confident that the stuff they sell at the dollar store called "totally awesome" (White/clear bottle with red lettering and yellow fluid) is the exact same stuff as Malco, just re-branded. I have used both and they smell the same, clean the same, and look the same. Just a little tip. Use that stuff and a brush and you will be just as happy, but saved a few bucks.

Back to the topic though... Looks great and congrats!
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-26-2010, 9:03 AM Reply   
Looks great man good job! Now stay on top of it!
Old     (camassanger)      Join Date: Oct 2009       08-26-2010, 9:24 AM Reply   
Wow, looks like you have a brand new boat now!
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       08-26-2010, 9:39 AM Reply   
Diggs -

What type of ratio did you use to mix the "Totally Awesome" to water? I just ran to the dollar store and picked up a bottle. For a buck I figure it's worth a try. The bottle says to mix it 10-1. I just wondered if that was indeed strong enough to do the job?

Also, I looked at Malco's website and the Totally Awesome website. They seem to be different companies, but that's not to say that the same factory doesn't make both products.
Old     (liljohn)      Join Date: May 2007       08-26-2010, 9:45 AM Reply   
Just remeber this experiance. The clean job could have been a 2 hour deal if you wiped everything down every time out. which only takes about 15 minutes.

p.s. Looks awsome! +1 for malco products!
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-26-2010, 10:02 AM Reply   
nauty,
I don't dilute it. Straight up. That is if you got the stuff in the squirt bottle that is roughly 20 ounces. After you are done wipe it down and maybe condition it. you will be amazed. It leaves streaks on the gel coat, so I would cover that with a towel when you are scrubbing away.

Last edited by tyler97217; 08-26-2010 at 10:04 AM.
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       08-26-2010, 10:07 AM Reply   
Thanks for the info. I'll give it a shot this weekend.

Also, it says it's safe for fiberglass, so I wonder how it would do on water spots (diluted of course)?
Old     (4white)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-26-2010, 10:20 AM Reply   
looks great!!
Old     (mmobius2001)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-26-2010, 10:53 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoombaRiderJ View Post
Hey Phil,

Great looking boat...I have an 06 Moomba Outback...indentical color scheme. I need help addressing my upholstery. I clean my boat after every use on the outside and every other use on the inside. Where is this cleaner located and what is the exact name? I have some spotting that I can get to come clean.

Jeremy
its called Malco Leather/Plastic Cleaner, on the back it will tell you its safe for vinyl, i only found a couple places online that sold it, expensive to ship but worth it imo.

you cannot use malco as a "spot" cleaner though, it will really bring up all the dirt and that spot will look so clean you'll have to do the whole boat. i would use malco twice a year for detailing.
Old     (factorykitted)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-26-2010, 11:24 AM Reply   
Looks great - but why in the hell did you let your boat get that dirty in the first place???
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-26-2010, 11:29 AM Reply   
dejavu! i have a 03 LSV with identical intirior colors, and detailed it all yesterday. gonna try to find that dollar store stuff you mentioned.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-26-2010, 1:54 PM Reply   
What effect does Malco have on the environment?
Old     (JamesPB22)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-26-2010, 3:51 PM Reply   
Great Results... could do with some Malco to do a complete once over aswell. is this the stuff??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Malco...motiveQ5fTools
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-26-2010, 4:56 PM Reply   
I bought it from here today. Was the closest to where I live.

http://www.perfectfit.com/15326/1559...l-Cleaner.html
Old     (mmobius2001)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-26-2010, 4:59 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPB22 View Post
Great Results... could do with some Malco to do a complete once over aswell. is this the stuff??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Malco...motiveQ5fTools
no this is conditioner NOT cleaner.

it should be all black, the post above is the correct stuff, thats also the place i bought mine, i believe amazon carries it as well.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-26-2010, 5:00 PM Reply   
^^^^No, i have that too but its only used for leather.

Its here MALCO

You can buy it from them here in there Presta line PRESTA

Presta is the same as Malco but they offer a Marine line. There is no difference in the Leather and Plastic cleaner
Old     (motorcitymatt)      Join Date: Feb 2007       08-26-2010, 6:58 PM Reply   
Another vote here for "Totally Awesome " this Dollar Store stuff works like the name says AWESOME!!! I also use it straight up on my RV it gets those nasty black streaks off the siding with ease! Best buck you'll ever spend (unless you're at the ****y bar :-)~
Old     (Laker1234)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-26-2010, 9:13 PM Reply   
It doesn't have and chemicals that will hurt the vinyl does it? I use Exquisite. It does a good job but I', always looking for something better.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-26-2010, 9:30 PM Reply   
^^^ Not at all. It is specifically designed for leather and vinyl and most importantly, it wont hurt the thread that holds everybodies upholstery together!
Old     (Laker1234)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-27-2010, 6:22 AM Reply   
Sounds good. I'll give i a try. I have a few a few places that need a little more strength than Exquisite has but I also need to get a brush and put some elbow grease behind it.