Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 20, 2005

Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-25-2005, 8:23 AM Reply   
I recently made the tough decision to go with a pair of 2005 Murray Bindings, temporarily (despite my CWB loyalty) in effort to provide my bad ankle with maximum support so that I can hopefully ride while protecting my healing ankle.

I'm curious on how everyone thinks binding stiffness affects your style. I hear things like Mike Schweene preferring his old Solbounds (which are flexible) so he can poke, tweak, and bone everything out, which clearly he does. Then you have guys like Harf riding the Murrays, and still being able to tweak out nuclear whirlys. So do you think that stiff bindings really limit your style or even change it?

I don't have any style anyway, but I'm pretty sure that going from ultra flexible to ultra stiff is going to take some getting used to. These things feel really comfortable, but really foreign. First ride on them is today.

Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-25-2005, 8:39 AM Reply   
J-rod you will still be able to poke just not as much. Plus I think you will find that you will have more board control from edge to edge. I also liked the Flexible bindings but as you know I jacked my ankle also. So I am also back to the stiffer binding. I rode yesterday and it didn't bug me at all.
Old     (rootc)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-25-2005, 8:42 AM Reply   
I have a bit of a snowboad background. I laugh every time I hear someone remark about stiff wakeboard bindindgs. I have yet to find a pair of wakeboard bindings that limits my tweaking ability. I guess it may be easier to poke a grab with really flexible bindings; however, with just a little more effort you can achieve the same poke with stiff bindings.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-25-2005, 8:44 AM Reply   
Root. Have you tried the Murray bindings? They are the closest thing to my snowboard boots I have ever experienced. Super stiff.
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       08-25-2005, 8:46 AM Reply   
I just find flexible bindings more comfortable. The stiff ones just don't feel as good to me. I don't think it limits your poking ability at all I think it's all about comfort.
Old     (rootc)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-25-2005, 8:47 AM Reply   
I haven't ridden the murrays yet. I hope to be riding the 06' Zeuses or Transits next year, but gonna finish this season with my parks. If they are even close to snowboard stiff then I'd say your ankle would be pretty safe. Snowboard stiff would definately cramp your style.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-25-2005, 8:51 AM Reply   
I tried on the 06 Zeus last night. They are the most comfortable bindings I have ever had my feet in. The Fuse is awesome too.
Old     (rootc)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-25-2005, 8:52 AM Reply   
David - my snowboard boots are way more stiff then any wakeboard boot and they are 10x more comfortable. I tried on about 15 pair of snowboard boots before I finally decided which pair to get. I know, apples to oranges.

I think its more binding design and materials that makes a binding comfortable or uncomfortable. Also, the shape of your foot determins the comfort as much as anything else.
Old    wickedwake            08-25-2005, 10:27 AM Reply   
I agree 100% with root. I can stand on the ground with my transits and poke them out as much as I could barefooted.
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-25-2005, 11:11 AM Reply   
J-Rod, How much of a difference are the new Murrays from the old 2002 Parks bindings which I use.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-25-2005, 11:45 AM Reply   
Mango,

Way stiffer. They hardly move at all. But I think that will protect my ankle for a while. I hope.
Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-25-2005, 12:00 PM Reply   
c'mon J. No style, give yourself some credit man.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       08-25-2005, 12:14 PM Reply   
I can't stand super stiff boots. I even took out the plastic heel cup on my Zeus at my friends suggestion. It is so much nicer. I broke my ankle a few years back but it has healed incredibly and I don't really worry about it. Obviously a stiffer binding will give you more support but less tweakability. Mentioning Harf isn't fair, he's ridiculous. Schwenne now rides the Parks but his minions of WCC have been indoctrinated effectively and a few rock the Solbounds still. If you know anyone with Solbounds I know some guys who will but them from you.
Old     (magellan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-25-2005, 12:42 PM Reply   
It's amazing what $ will do. I remember interviews with Mike when he was so anti Hyperlite.