Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (johndk)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-20-2013, 1:17 PM Reply   
I'd like to get a shorter throttle arm.

A photo of my existing one is attached. On my older (2009) MB, there's no arm rest (hence the black gel pad I stuck on top of the sidewall, which is a big improvement, but it's way too high), so I am working with a local service shop to try to get a custom arm rest made. But I think I also want the throttle grip to be a bit lower (maybe just above the black backplate in the attached photo).

I looked up throttle arms online and see various cheap ones, but I want a nice one that will last.

I don't have a trim tab switch on the throttle. (I am going to add a trim tab to my boat, but I was advised to keep the switch separate for less hassle if something goes wrong with the tab control vs throttle control... though I don't have much space for a trim tab switch on the dash.)

I also don't really like the existing throttle grip, since it seems to be screwed onto the arm and when fully tightened it's not straight.

Anyone know anything about this (and if it's worth getting the trim tab control built into the throttle)?

Thanks,
John
Attached Images

Old     (johndk)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-21-2013, 11:43 AM Reply   
I think I might go with the Teleflex CH1751P:
http://www.go2marine.com/item/203844...s-ch1751p.html

(Though I found it somewhere else for about $50 cheaper.)

I can't tell if it's much smaller, but it looks a lot more ergonomic than my current throttle control.

I'll just take the risk of there being some problem with the trim tab control at some point.

John
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       04-21-2013, 4:25 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by johndk View Post
I think I might go with the Teleflex CH1751P:
http://www.go2marine.com/item/203844...s-ch1751p.html

(Though I found it somewhere else for about $50 cheaper.)

I can't tell if it's much smaller, but it looks a lot more ergonomic than my current throttle control.

I'll just take the risk of there being some problem with the trim tab control at some point.

John
That thing is sweet! Don't throw away your old throttle though - if you ever want to sell your boat...
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-22-2013, 6:27 PM Reply   
ya and you will be able to trim it up too
Old     (johndk)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-22-2013, 6:37 PM Reply   
Ordered it today for $285 total from mavikmarine.

I also found a used Mastercraft arm rest that I ordered for $47 and will find some way to install.
Attached Images

Old     (johndk)      Join Date: Aug 2008       05-16-2013, 4:04 PM Reply   
I won't be able to use this throttle control after all since it's not compatible with my trim tab. Maybe I'll get the non-trim version later, although this Teleflex throttle control arm is even taller than my original one.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       05-16-2013, 5:02 PM Reply   
With perfect pass, how often do you modulate the throttle anyway?? Put the armrest on and call it a day. Inboard throttles such as yours fit my hand like a glove. I haven't found an inboard I didn't like driving and throttling - whether it had perfect pass or not
Old     (johndk)      Join Date: Aug 2008       05-16-2013, 6:22 PM Reply   
It depends... sometimes a lot, especially when pulling kids on tubes (only in the most calm water of course ). (I do pull them sometimes in the middle of the choppy river... so frustrating when the only (tiny) calm area near me is full of tubers.) But that's only a few times a summer.

The throttle control that came with the boat is not very good. It doesn't move very smoothly, and the top of the assembly easily unscrews a bit while you're holding it, and when tightened it is not on straight. So I was hoping to get something nicer and take care of several issues at once.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       05-16-2013, 6:57 PM Reply   
Put some shims in the hole so it tightens straight. If it doesn't move smooth that might be your throttle cable...?
Old     (johndk)      Join Date: Aug 2008       05-16-2013, 8:42 PM Reply   
Thanks, I'll give shims a try and get a mechanic to check the cable at some point. It's not that bad - just not perfectly smooth.
Old     (dxii)      Join Date: Jan 2009       05-16-2013, 9:05 PM Reply   
It seems like a lot of boat manufacturers overlook the importance of a good armrest for your throttle arm. I sat in an MB for a couple minutes at a boat show and immediately ruled out ever buying one based on the lack of an armrest. It's like they didn't even try to make it comfortable to drive. It might have been a great boat, and I vaguely remember the rep talking about something cool with the ballast system, but every time I think of MB, the first thing that comes to mind is the lack of a decent armrest.
Old     (johndk)      Join Date: Aug 2008       05-17-2013, 7:27 AM Reply   
Yeah, it was my first boat and I just didn't realize that when I bought it. MB's newer boats do seem to have a good armrest, from pictures I've seen. I think they fixed it a year after my 2009 - argh!
Old     (johndk)      Join Date: Aug 2008       05-29-2013, 10:09 AM Reply   
Doh... I can't use the armrest because it's too long when the throttle is in full reverse.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       05-29-2013, 12:26 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by johndk View Post
Doh... I can't use the armrest because it's too long when the throttle is in full reverse.
Full reverse is important because...? I'd modify it. It's small enough to take the skin partially off, cut it up to suit your needs and restaple it.
Old     (kmayotte)      Join Date: Aug 2010       05-30-2013, 8:07 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakebordr11 View Post
Full reverse is important because...? I'd modify it. It's small enough to take the skin partially off, cut it up to suit your needs and restaple it.
You don't need full reverse...until you do.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       05-30-2013, 9:15 AM Reply   
For what? I've never been full reverse in 16+ yrs of operating a boat
Old     (Dmac420sj)      Join Date: Mar 2012       05-30-2013, 9:59 AM Reply   
I use full reverse to get my rope off the prop!
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-30-2013, 11:00 AM Reply   
I've seen full reverse stop a boat from hitting a bridge. Anything less than full power reverse would not have stopped it.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       05-30-2013, 11:34 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bftskir View Post
I've seen full reverse stop a boat from hitting a bridge. Anything less than full power reverse would not have stopped it.
Well yea... I've never needed to emergency stop before... Shouldn't have to ever...
Old     (kmayotte)      Join Date: Aug 2010       05-30-2013, 12:51 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakebordr11 View Post
Well yea... I've never needed to emergency stop before... Shouldn't have to ever...
until that one time you thought would never happen, then you do...

It's like seatbelts. "I don't need em...never been in an accident in 16 years of driving!" But that one time, it pays off and saves a life.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       05-30-2013, 1:08 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmayotte View Post
until that one time you thought would never happen, then you do...

It's like seatbelts. "I don't need em...never been in an accident in 16 years of driving!" But that one time, it pays off and saves a life.
Prior proper planning prevents piss poor performance.

I really get what you guys are saying but in all seriousness, I don't even expect my boat to be able to withstand shifting from anywhere above 10mph to full reverse without blowing the tranny or stalling period. And because of that... that's why I never plan to, and never will require full reverse. Always give yourself an out
Old     (Dmac420sj)      Join Date: Mar 2012       05-30-2013, 1:55 PM Reply   
My boat doesn't steer good in reverse