Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 30, 2005

Old     (uppledup17)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-13-2005, 7:54 AM Reply   
I am looking at a bunch of newer used boats for sale. Is a 99 X-star a good purchase or should I be looking for something newer. I am not partial to Manufacturer but curious at what year would be a benefit yet give me pretty up to date technology? I read most posters here ride behind 02's on up, is that a good place to start.
Old     (nj_alex)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-13-2005, 8:22 AM Reply   
You may want to consider the manufacturer because different hulls produce different shaped wakes.
Old     (uppledup17)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-13-2005, 8:35 AM Reply   
Do I match the board to the wake or my riding style.........which I don't consider w2w jump and an indy grab much of a style. I can only ride behind a ski nautique where the wake is non-existent. What should I be looking for in wake shape and what would be best for me.I want a boat of my own where I can progress and of course slam it full of party happy hotties. Seems like most rock the MC's but I rode behind a Malibu a couple times and really liked the wake from the wedge? Thanks for your help. Peace.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       10-13-2005, 10:29 AM Reply   
first you should slam the nautique and see how you like it. and go from there
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       10-14-2005, 9:20 AM Reply   
Adam, a Nautique with a non existent wake? Adam the Nautiques have one of the best wakes on the market. What year is it and are they runnin any extra weight in the boat? I do have to say I love my MasterCraft .
Old     (nj_alex)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-14-2005, 9:42 AM Reply   
My friend has a MasterCraft, and his boat produces a rampy wake with a very subtle transition. I've found that I have to put a little more pepper on my approach to get the air I want.

I have a Super Air Nautique which produces a peaky wake with a much more abrupt transition than the MasterCraft. The peakier wake pops me up with a little less effort. However, my wake is a little scary to newbies and if they don't cross it with confidence it has a tendency to swallow them up.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-14-2005, 9:46 AM Reply   
"much more abrupt transition than the MasterCraft."

Which of the 10 Mastercraft hulls are you talking about?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-14-2005, 9:48 AM Reply   
prolly comparing it to an x-10?
Old     (uppledup17)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-14-2005, 9:52 AM Reply   
For Jeff, It is a 98 Ski Nautique but it is set up for the slalom skiers I boat with. I mean yes it has a wake but it is very flat and mellow. Not a V-drive or anything like that. They love it but sucks for the one boarder(me)especially after seeing the wakes from other boats. I understand peaky and rampy wakes but what are the benefits of each and how does that effect my riding?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-14-2005, 9:57 AM Reply   
Adam,

Your 98 Nautique should throw a mean wake with some weight. If those guys will let you pump in some water for your set, it should be good.

The 210 Nautique wake is steeper than all MC wakes, but the X2 wake can get pretty steep and lippy. I wouldn't call the x2 wake rampy though.
Old     (uppledup17)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-14-2005, 10:04 AM Reply   
Ehlers Silk,

I wish I could add some weight to it but they are anal about their boat...another reason for me to get my own. We even have two 350lb fat sacs but they never make onto the boat. Is a steep lippy wake better than a rampy one? I saw you have an X-2 how is that ride?
Old     (nj_alex)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-14-2005, 10:16 AM Reply   
My friend's MasterCraft is a Maristar. His wake is very different than my Super Air. His is rampier and wider. Mine is more narrow and much more peaky. I ride behind both boats all the time.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       10-14-2005, 10:26 AM Reply   
Adam, you probably wouldn't be upset with an X2, a 210, or a VLX. All of them have great wakes, with slight differences.
Old     (uppledup17)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-14-2005, 10:47 AM Reply   
Our local shop is a Malibu Dealer so of course they push my towards the VLX but they also say the new V-ride is sweet. Has anyone heard anything about it???
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-14-2005, 10:56 AM Reply   
The Maristar is a rampy wake. The X2 would be the only Mastercraft wake that is even close to a SAN.

Adam, Tell them to quit been pu$$ies and start getting airborn! There is more to watersports than just turning left and right!

The V-Ride is the previous VLX. Awesome wake and a great boat.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       10-14-2005, 11:05 AM Reply   
Ehlers Silk.......CHEA!!!!
Old     (kystyle)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-14-2005, 11:05 AM Reply   
The only thing that makes one wake type better than the other is your personal preference.

I like the Nautiques steep wake because I like to get booted and spin.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       10-14-2005, 11:32 AM Reply   
I agree with Michael Baugh, Adam you need to try to ride behind them all and see what you like, all the boats mentioned have great wakes it just up to what you like.
Old     (uppledup17)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-14-2005, 11:47 AM Reply   
No S*** J Rod. They ask me why I don't just slalom. I tell them it is like watching Nascar on TV. It is the same over and over and over. It never changes. Thanks guys on the help. I will try to find some serious boats to ride behind. Hopefully by next year I will getting booted and they will be stuck in their monotony.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       10-14-2005, 11:48 AM Reply   
let the old guys slalom and then sack it out! your profile says you have 'bu echelon - whats up w/ it?
Old     (uppledup17)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-14-2005, 12:05 PM Reply   
Sorry bout that haven't edited it yet and it was just that. The OLD guy I used to board with sold it and I wasn't in a position to buy F***. I still kick myself because it was mint. Wedge,Tower and that is where we got the fat sacs from. Too bad the p****** never use them. Now I can buy but the boat is long gone. I should of just said f*** a house I will live on my boat.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-14-2005, 12:07 PM Reply   
Michael, that would be my favorite thing about the SAN. Spinning is way easier. It feel like the line tension loosens when you get booted that high. I dig it.
Old     (uppledup17)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-14-2005, 12:10 PM Reply   
So I guess that poses a questions. I still don't have a particular riding style but do wake shapes cater to a certain style or tricks? Is a peaky wake better for w2w and rampy better for getting booted into the flats???
Old     (zuka666)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-14-2005, 12:16 PM Reply   
If you load the line and charge it, either way you will get the pop and distance. For christ sakes you can do it behind any boat...Don't waste your money on high end products, I can preform behind any boat any time,,,,with or without the weight, just gotta have balls!
Old    wakeceo            10-14-2005, 12:38 PM Reply   
Don't listen to anyone that says one wake for a certain manufacturer is better than the next. It is all about personal preference.

Some like a rampy wake and some like a vert wake. Some like a wide wake and some like a narrow wake. The best is to ride behind each and decide for yourself.

I like Malibu because the wake is so adjustable and has great shape...my preference.
Old     (uppledup17)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-14-2005, 12:53 PM Reply   
I have the balls and will get pulled behind anything anyone will offer. But having an open bow and pack it full of ladies that offers me all the benefits for the sport I love, I hardly call it a waste. High end maybe, worth every penny absolutely. There is only one thing in life more fun than wakeboarding and sometimes the boardng is better.
Old     (uppledup17)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-14-2005, 1:02 PM Reply   
I read the sales numbers for boats on another thread. Obviously the big three and moomba IMO has always made a qaulity boat. I see a lot of Centurions in the lower chain by us. Whats peoples opinions of those boats? Some are for sale near me and they seemed a bit over priced?
Old     (zuka666)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-14-2005, 1:13 PM Reply   
Moomba, Hard steep wake especially with the plate,the open bow can fit plenty of ladies including the wrap around seeting, Plus the tower dismounts with two pins...
Old     (uppledup17)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-14-2005, 1:16 PM Reply   
Thanks Jeff. And nicely priced.
Old     (zuka666)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-14-2005, 1:18 PM Reply   
Brand new = 35G, Fully Loaded!
Old     (uppledup17)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-14-2005, 1:27 PM Reply   
Thats why I asked about the Centurion? A used 03 Eisenhauer edition is priced at 34. Seems steep?
Old     (zuka666)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-14-2005, 1:32 PM Reply   
Your paying for the name!, How many engine hrs?,How many owners and/or drivers? Take all these things into consideration. How and where was it stored....You'd better be asking all these questions! Take it from my experience, I could write a book on how hard I took it in the A$$, when I purchased my 85' Ski Supreme