Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (nelson)      Join Date: Jan 2009       09-06-2011, 9:39 AM Reply   
Just wanted to take a poll on what other boaters think is right. While at the lake this weekend we where pulling out of the lake the ramp was a normal S&^% show as expected for a holiday weekend. I did like we have for the past 30 years. Dropped my wife at the dock off the bow because 4 boats were tied up with kids running everywhere. Went back out and waited for my wife to return and loaded up. Since the ramp is small and congested and driving a crew cab long box with 24' of boat behind you if we where to pull to the side we would block the ramp and no one else would be able to turn around and back in to the water. Instead we always drive up the ramp100 yards to the parking lot and park on the far corner out of the way unload and clean up. As do about 50% of the others boaters that have half a clue and like to keep things moving at the ramp. When we pulled up to the parking lot there was a officer walking the lot writing tickets for no parking passes. He comes over and said you know I can write you a $286.00 ticket for riding in your boat to the parking lot. Then proceeded to tell me all the trouble I could get into. Keep in mind you can see the parking lot from the ramp and it is 100 yards max not entering or crossing any roads. I told him that has to be one of the stupidest things I have been told. I completely understand had it been further and the ramp had places to pull out or you had to drive down a road or cross a road. I explained how unsafe it is to unload in the middle of this ramp where you have trucks and trailers entering in and out and no pull out area to load unload. Wouldn't common sense tell you to go to a safe area to do such a thing. After explaining that I said besides I see people all the time hitting other cars while turning or backing down he proceed to say he works there everyday and has for many years and nothing has ever happened like that. Well about 30 seconds after that quote wouldn't you know a guy drug his trailer down the side of a truck that was loading his boat. I laughed and said well now you have.(If that is any indication how close to the ramp we where) Anyways long story short no tickets were issued although he said he would several times. We boat all over Oregon, Washington and California and have seen ramps that have Loading and Unloading points are far further then this point. Plus I counted 15 boats that pulled up and did the same thing as we did while speaking with him. I spoke with a few of the other officers that I know that work that area on our way out and they said he was out of line and that they prefer trucks go to the parking lot to ease the congestion at that ramp. Just wondering what some of you think and do. I know I will not change my ways but in 30 years he was the first so not really worried about getting any tickets anyways.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-06-2011, 9:49 AM Reply   
sounds like he was a rookie without boating experience...at least he was smart enough to NOT ticket you for it.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-06-2011, 9:49 AM Reply   
He works for the government. Common sense doesn't exist.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-06-2011, 10:14 AM Reply   
Eric,
Where was this? Someone jumped on pdxWAKE recently and comented that at Lake Billy Chinook they had the exact same thing happen to them. Never heard of that before. I will be out there this weekend and will see if I get the same discussion.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-06-2011, 10:15 AM Reply   
I found that thread...... http://www.pdxwakesnow.com/viewtopic.php?t=2333
Old     (nelson)      Join Date: Jan 2009       09-06-2011, 10:18 AM Reply   
Yeah that is about the truth. Got pulled over on the same lake for my boat numbers not contrasting enough told the officer I bought the boat new and they have been on there since I put them on there. Besides you did my inspection a few weeks back and they were fine then. He said not a chance asked if he wanted to bet on it, I pulled out the green copy they give you and wouldn't you know it he did and also the year before that. He just drove off after that, I ran into him a few times this year he is nice enough comes over to say hi when he see's us out.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-06-2011, 10:20 AM Reply   
Was it Lake Billy Chinook?
Old     (nelson)      Join Date: Jan 2009       09-06-2011, 10:22 AM Reply   
Diggs- It was at Billy first ramp. I never have either in my 30 years this was the first. I can see if you where doing that heading to one of the campgrounds but the parking lot is kind of stupid.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-06-2011, 10:49 AM Reply   
Yeah must be the same guy and on a power trip. Maybe I will run into him this weekend...... I do the same thing and always have and don't intend to change that.
Old     (nelson)      Join Date: Jan 2009       09-06-2011, 11:13 AM Reply   
They must have got a grant or had money to blow this year. Was up there on a crappy windy cold day in May only 10 trailers in the first lot they had 3 boats with 2 people in each plus 4 cars driving around plus a guy sitting on the point at the first beach spotting. Kind of over kill I thought. Diggs the Crooked arm is pretty bad as of yesterday the water turned and the Algae bloomed and it's pretty nasty. Deschutes and Metolius arms are not bad if I can talk my wife out of heading over the hill to do the warrior dash will try and get out there.
Old     (CobraRob)      Join Date: Aug 2010       09-06-2011, 11:20 AM Reply   
I got 2 tickets at Willamatte park this weekend.. 1 for parking no parking ticket.. yet the envelope was practically on top of my ticket under the window.. I am assuming if I send them the parking pass with the ticket I won't have to pay it. $45 for that one.. And $55 for no plate???? I have plates on the truck and trailer... so no idea what the hell that was about guess I am just going to write a note.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       09-06-2011, 11:54 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraRob View Post
I got 2 tickets at Willamatte park this weekend.. 1 for parking no parking ticket.. yet the envelope was practically on top of my ticket under the window.. I am assuming if I send them the parking pass with the ticket I won't have to pay it. $45 for that one.. And $55 for no plate???? I have plates on the truck and trailer... so no idea what the hell that was about guess I am just going to write a note.

Does the truck ID match on the tickets? Maybe the wrong truck?

I had the park ranger issue a ticket for truck next to mine last winter and put the ticket on my windscreen. The funny thing is that he left his entire ticket book on my hood!

So now when i see a buddies rig at the ramp he gets a ticket for something silly I make up.
Old     (CobraRob)      Join Date: Aug 2010       09-06-2011, 1:09 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by baitkiller View Post
Does the truck ID match on the tickets? Maybe the wrong truck?

I had the park ranger issue a ticket for truck next to mine last winter and put the ticket on my windscreen. The funny thing is that he left his entire ticket book on my hood!

So now when i see a buddies rig at the ramp he gets a ticket for something silly I make up.
Nope correct truck.. I looked to see if someone took it and moved it.. Gonna suck since I am going to mail off my stuff to them then be out of the country for like 3 months.. so I am going to come back to a warrant since I am sure they will be like nope BS you have to pay this in 2 weeks and I am not going to get it till christmas time.
Old     (kenteck)      Join Date: Jan 2005       09-06-2011, 1:14 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by baitkiller View Post
The funny thing is that he left his entire ticket book on my hood!

now that is hilarious.....lol
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-06-2011, 3:12 PM Reply   
Cobra
If you send in your paid receipt and i would make a copy of your credit card bill to prove it, they will void it. However I would pay the license plate one though.
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       09-06-2011, 4:34 PM Reply   
The rangers at the state park launch here in Cleveland gave me an ear full about a person in the boat on the trailer also.The way he yelled at me you would have thought I was shooting at someone and this was about 15-20 yards from the ramp.CobraRob did you look to see if your trailer plate is still on your trailer?I know there was a problem here 2years ago with people stealing trailer plates in the lots.
Old     (stuey)      Join Date: Dec 2004       09-06-2011, 4:47 PM Reply   
Haha... the best part to that story is the cop telling you he has worked there for years and never seen a problem at the ramp... then right after a trailer hits somebodys truck.

That is absolutely priceless. I probably would have looked at the accident.. laughed... then said to the cop 'case in point' and continued on doing my thing. I can't imagine him having much to say or try to justify your supposed 'wrongdoings' after that happens!!!!

What do they expect? jump out of the boat into the lake after you drive it on the trailer? Or pull forward just enough out of the water to jump on a slimy / slippery / rocky / gravel / steep ramp from the swim platform?

Doesn't make any sense. That's the last place I'm getting in or out of a boat is anywhere near the actual ramp.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-07-2011, 6:53 AM Reply   
Cobra Rob
I misread your initial email. I bet you are missing your front plate on your truck? That is a famous ticket you will get in Portland. I recently got one too for $55.