Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old    4216sp            05-27-2010, 3:19 PM Reply   
I had a hard time staying in the pocket the last 2 years, so I did some research and asked around and finally decided to buy the Drew Danielo Pro Carbon Xl. What a differnce, compare to my Phase 5 Prop. The board is larger and lighting fast. Now I can finally stay in the pocket without using a rope.
I am trying to play around on the wave without a rope but sometimes I fall to far back . I tried to place more weight on my front leg but I can not catch up. Since I been always using a rope in the pass to bring myself back to the pocket ... can someone explain the basic move to pumping. I seen it being done on videos but I still do not understand the principle on how it's done.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-30-2010, 10:24 AM Reply   
Youtube slaytank and watch some of the riders on there channel. especially chase hazen.

Its kinda hard to explain the movement, cause its all what you feel works better. I think the best way I could describe it would be to do the motion of an ollie, like on a wakeskate, without actually getting in the air. Do you wakeboard at all? If you do, try just letting go up the rope and seeing how far you can go by pumping. Its like a fluid motion of a slight push from your front foot and then a harder push down from your back foot.

But what works best for me is a pump with a slight carve, that gets the most speed in my opinion. That Danielo board is skim style right? So you could do quicker carves and smaller pumps because its so loose. Im more surf style than skim, but its the same idea.

you should get an indo board and practice on that, its almost identical to the feeling you get when trying to stay in the pocket (forward and back motions) and itll help you feel more comfortable. You would be surprised how far back you can recover from if you have the right wave, and idk if itll work on a skim style board, but you can hop down and paddle back in if you want!

hope that helped
Old     (packrat)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-30-2010, 3:59 PM Reply   
Might check out "new video" that DJjamesz posted on this forum. He is really good at pumping to get speed for airs. His appears to use a carving motion up and down the wave as opposed to a front back motion.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-30-2010, 4:04 PM Reply   
The best way, i think, is a combination of a pump from side to side combined with the carving. like i said up there.
Old     (scottnaz)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-30-2010, 4:17 PM Reply   
Wake9.com made a video outlining the Bre-shuffle and Walker Boogie for recovering from further back in the wave
http://wake9.com/youtube_player.php?...640&height=385
Old    4216sp            05-30-2010, 4:25 PM Reply   
Thanks guys...I will try it out this week. I have to get better, got some chicks to impress.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-31-2010, 11:04 AM Reply   
just spend a lot of time surfing and you will get it no problem. Let us know if you need more help!
Old     (surfdoggy)      Join Date: Dec 2009       05-31-2010, 6:22 PM Reply   
Try this and see if it helps. When you ride up and down the face of the wake, practice doing it so that your head does not get any higher as you carve/ride up the face. That means you will need to bend your knees as you climb the face of the wake. Exaggerate it a bunch of times to get the feel for it. Then, when you come back down the face of the wake, you will get the feel that you can press your board down and straigten your legs, and that will give you more speed toward the boat. When you can do it in fairly big swipes up and down the face of the wake, then to me, pumping feels a lot like doing it on a very small scale. You ride up the face of the wave a few inches, and then push as you ride back down to the bottom. Up and down quicly, in a narrow path, with your weight forward will create speed toward the boat. To me, it feels more like the board stays pointed fairly straight toward the boat, but I am just pumping it up and back down on the very bottom of the wave face. May feel different to you, but that's how it feels to me. Hope that helps you some.
Old     (jame04)      Join Date: Nov 2007       06-01-2010, 8:01 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottnaz View Post
Wake9.com made a video outlining the Bre-shuffle and Walker Boogie for recovering from further back in the wave
http://wake9.com/youtube_player.php?...640&height=385
there is a driver tip that says to turn the wheel to the right when the rider is falling back to help. Well the rider was googy in the video. Would you turn it to the left for a regular rider?
Old     (Chuch)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-01-2010, 8:04 AM Reply   
Go get one of those Rip Sticks that kids ride around the neighborhood. To me, that feels REALLY close. Practice on the pavement. The same movements that produce forward movement on the Rip Stick should get you moving on the water.
Old     (meraculus)      Join Date: Sep 2007       06-01-2010, 11:00 AM Reply   
http://www.carverskateboards.com
Carver Skateboards feel very much like surfing and are great for pumping, a really fun surf trainer.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-01-2010, 11:24 AM Reply   
If you get some super carvy trucks and a skateboard or longboard you can pump and ride without pushing. I have original 250mm trucks on a 36" sectornine that i can pump and a little fish i made with a 12" wheel base with Revenge Alpha 2's that I can pump.
Old    4216sp            06-01-2010, 11:26 AM Reply   
Thank you guys again, especially you surfdoogy, I really like the bend the knee technique . There was much detail in your explanation that I do not know how I could go wrong. You watch videos over and over and when you get on the water, nothing works. I like to auto teach myself with videos and with your help. I been surfing for 2 years , can easily do a 360 with a rope and I even surf with my 12 year old daughter on my shoulders and doing a 180 with her screaming her head off of fear . But boy this pumping business is killing me. I realize that pumping is the key to expand my tricks to the next level .
Old    4216sp            06-01-2010, 1:15 PM Reply   
And Church, Rip stick it is..my girls will be happy and the father will do anything to advance in his wakesurf
Old     (meraculus)      Join Date: Sep 2007       06-14-2010, 10:08 AM Reply   
If you are interested in learning more about pumping check out pavedwave.org
http://home.comcast.net/~jampet99/rides/gear01.html
Old     (packrat)      Join Date: Mar 2005       06-14-2010, 10:41 AM Reply   
Consider a Balance 360 board it has helped me and you can mimic the pumping technique with it just use the larger inflatable ball. Just make sure there is nothing sharp like corners or tables ect. nearby as you can fall on your #*@ with it. It's harder to do than the Indo boards.