Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 23, 2009

Old     (jnewton7)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-20-2009, 4:02 PM Reply   
Ok, so i know this has been discussed before but i was curious what everyone's opinion was on whether the dark core versions of the ronix boards were worth the extra cash.....I have heard before that they are livelier and will hold their shape longer. But will it really matter to the average rider? For me, I'm usually getting a new board every season so would i benefit?....Just curious what everyones thoughts were...
Old     (gunnertom4593)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-20-2009, 6:04 PM Reply   
If you are buying an 09 it's not worth the extra $200 or whatever it is but for my 08 DHV1 I only paid $30 extra. In that case it is well worth it.
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-20-2009, 8:28 PM Reply   
Demo both the V2 and the normal version of the board and see what you like best.

I personally am going for the CSV2 though
Old     (jsquared)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-21-2009, 6:53 AM Reply   
Why your demoing those two boards grab a Hyperlite as well. You should like the results better.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-21-2009, 7:34 AM Reply   
I think the Darkcore is worth it if you can afford it. And you could ride it for two season quite easily too. But as said demo both.

John thats quite a broad statement considering Hype has 4 different cores. You might want to be more specific there.
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-21-2009, 4:45 PM Reply   
John, on this website, we like to see statement's backed up with either facts, or
personal experience that includes a detailed summary of your experience.

If you have a reason, then by all means, post up. But nobody is going to change their mind off of a general statement lacking anything except "You should like the results better."
Old     (luke_j)      Join Date: Jul 2008       01-21-2009, 10:41 PM Reply   
dark core, durability wise, is definitely worth it. the board never loses its snap over time like a poured foam core will. in the way of benefits on the ride, advanced riders will notice the more abrupt pop and snap off the wake, intermediates and beginners will simply notice the board is very light
Old     (luke_j)      Join Date: Jul 2008       01-22-2009, 8:07 AM Reply   
yeah john, why don't you learn something about wakeboards and then post up? geez you probably never wakeboarded in your life.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       01-22-2009, 8:31 AM Reply   
I've never actually handled one of the DarkCore boards first hand. I ride the 07' Covin and LOVE it, I'm interested to see how one of those would handle.
But yeah, I'd highly recommend that since your looking at RONIX DarkCore boards to mix any ol' Hyperlite in there since it seems that's what your looking for. Preferably this one:

Upload

I hear it's got the "CrunkCore" brand new for '97
Old    sdahockey21            01-22-2009, 7:40 PM Reply   
Ya the Dark Core Boards are really something. A Dark Core Board will snap back to it's original shape much faster than a regular core. Basically, the board will "recoil" with a quicker snap off the wake which translates to a cleaner, higher pop. The Dark Core Boards are also very strong. All of this adds up to a board what is lighter, pops better, and lasts longer.

The Dark Core Boards also went through like 40+ hours of double up testing, or something crazy like that. I do not think I have hit or will ever hit 40 hours worth of double ups in my life. haha
Old    justinh            01-23-2009, 6:56 AM Reply   
I moved from a 138 covin to a 143 CVS1 this year. I'm 5-9 155.

I agree with everything that Sam said, but would like to add the weight reduction also allows you to consider moving up a size. It still flicks like nothing in the air (my 09 ones and CVS1= 10.25lbs) and has the benefits of a bigger board: More pop, better in chop, more stable landings.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       01-23-2009, 8:43 AM Reply   
Justin,
Was there a pretty significant difference in weight when you switched? Obviously you went another 5 Cm up, but was it noticeably lighter? I'm on a 143 Covin right now, and think that IT'S pretty light. I'm really interested to take a look at one of these board for sure.
Old    justinh            01-23-2009, 9:07 AM Reply   
The board itself is considerably lighter, but I also dropped at least a pound out of the bindings too. It feels noticeably lighter than the 138 covin in the air.
Old     (johnm_ttu)      Join Date: Jul 2005       01-23-2009, 9:12 AM Reply   
Justin,

I don't know why, but it never occurred to me that you can move up a size if you get the lighter core. Well said that is a great selling point.
Old     (raftisland)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-23-2009, 9:51 AM Reply   
what is the actual weight of the CSV1 and the DHV1?
Old     (sxjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2006       01-23-2009, 8:10 PM Reply   
Just got my 09 CSV2 140 and size 12 Cells. The board weights in right at 7 lbs. bindings slightly over 4 lbs. noticeably lighter than my 08 shane setup. weather sucks for this weekend hopefully ill be out next. ill drop some comments after i have a chance to ride.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       01-23-2009, 8:25 PM Reply   
Doug,

Let's hear about the ride on that thing! Yeah, I definitely support the bigger board. I was riding a 136 because I thought I could have more maneuverability and cut some weight, but I found I wasn't doing any favors for myself. I got that 143 Covin, and wow, did it make a huge difference. Landings improved majorly, amplitude on airs went up noticeably, and it had better control without a doubt. A light weight, big board is prime time in my opinion.
Old     (sxjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-02-2009, 7:09 PM Reply   
Finally got out this last weekend. This board/binding combo is Awesome! First thing i noticed was how much lighter it was. holding it was one thing, but riding it is where its at. felt like i didnt even have a board stapped on. The board is loose when not on edge. mellow on the intial edge and then locks in and takes off. Pop was super smooth and just as high as my shane, but without the abrupt snap. sailed out into the flats with no effort. AND the Landings! Holy crap wasnt expecting this coming from the shane, but its the softest landing board i've been on. lands fast & feels like you accelerate out of it. no stuck in the mud feel like the shane. Not to rag on the shane because its awesome board. rode it for 3 seasons, but this is far and above my new favorite board. (just personal preference)
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-02-2009, 7:14 PM Reply   
If weight is a concern my 142 Slingshot recoil comes in at 7 lbs. too... super light and much cheaper

but ronix is super nice... +1 for PB dark core.
Old    sdahockey21            02-02-2009, 8:17 PM Reply   
Doug thats the exact reason I got on the Viva. No more stuck in the mud feeling while landing in the flats!