Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (daylorb)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-24-2009, 9:44 PM Reply   
Picked up a demo and scratch and dent set of boards from Triple X. Since it is a little tough to demo these things, I've bought quite a few and surfed them and in theory will sell them...

I was intrigued by the flat/fast looking Slasher board that has 3 fin setup, and is thick. While emailing with them it came to light they had a demo fish which I like for use on a big boat. So I picked them up - they both are great.

The Slasher is very fast, has the right combination of bite on a turn and slide up on the wave. Not sure how spinning would work on it, but it holds the wave well, catches up from deep on the wave, rips turns, and feels super-light under foot.

The only thing I think it could use is some more nose rocker, but that could be just getting used to it. It wants to take a dive, but weighting it quickly in the turn helps.

I surfed the Fish both 2 and 4 fin config. Very fast board - incredible how much of the wake can be comfortably used. The 4 fin felt like swinging a bat with a donut on it - heavy, drag, but carved well. The two fin (2 large) worked much better - faster across the wave, quicker to turn, a little slide. Super-fun board and can't wait to try it on the 36' boat we use.

I'm jonesing to get a Walker Project (haven't decided which one), and the Inland Surfer Sweet Spot next. Currently have an Oogle, Hyperlite Custom 4'10, and have ridden just about everything BUT the Walker and SS, both which I hear are great, but both were sold out when I needed a new board!!! Next summer!

For the price though, love the Triple X Slasher so far.
Old     (sixx352)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-26-2009, 7:41 AM Reply   
What size of slasher did you ride? I got the 4'6" and I like riding it a lot to me its more a hybrid board between skim and surf spins easy like a skim and rides like a surf and pops nice too. Yea it took me some time to get use to the diving effect but I got it figured out and I don't do it any more. This past week Ive been riding their prototype for next year. Quad fin 2 in thick 4'8" length Epoxy board this thing is nice no more diving and tons of pop for airs with ease and it has a molded in arch underneath in the center of the board that gives it a bit of traction in the tail but still slips out easy for spins.
Old     (usostyle)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-26-2009, 10:49 PM Reply   
I have the slasher 5' 0" and compared it to the sweet spot & it wasn't even a question to me, for my weight, the epic goofey wake, my weight 250lbs, the slasher was the best fit for me, both for air's & spin potential...FYI- I would consider myself an intermediate rider. I have also demo'd an oogle & even though the oogle is better for spins & 'looser' I like the slasher better overall. The 5'0" slasher is definately more of a 'surf' board, but has a couple of skim qualities. I also have the 3" fins on it instead of the standard 2" fins on it . Hope that helps
Old     (daylorb)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-27-2009, 12:39 PM Reply   
I agree on both of those comments. I have the 5'0 and I am 190. I still have my Oogle, and I like the Slasher better. I am more surf-style though. I think the Oogle, twice as thick, with 2-3 fins would be a better board for me.

Good to hear you like it better than the Sweet Spot - that might save me some dinero!

I will say this - kudos to Triple X for producing a REALLY good board for a phenomenal price!