Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 05, 2009

Old     (dmc_napa)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-14-2008, 2:04 PM Reply   
I forgot to mention that all my wakeboarding family competed at INT Nationals this year - one successful - the other two have many more years ahead of them!
Old     (hoosairboy)      Join Date: Aug 2005       11-14-2008, 2:35 PM Reply   
"Roger - did you really just quote Roosevelt to get the point across that I'm a fool? LMAO "

Kids- this is why you wear a helmet. Too many concussions can cause brain damage.

I just got a great idea for a PSA (Luker- that means Public Service Announcement). "Where a helmet or you too could become a Luker"/
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-14-2008, 2:46 PM Reply   
Ok, I would like to thank all the People who were involved in the INT comps this last season. They worked their butts off.

I think they have done a great job for all the levels of riders from 1st timers to Pros.

I would like to ask how many of you have rode in a INT back 1995. Then I would like you to compare it to todays comps. INT has came a long ways. Some of you that are complaining haven't even been in the sport more than 5 years and will come and go like the rest of the cry babies.

I rember when some of these kids could not even do a hs 180 or were just working on a bs roll but are now just killing it.

Ya they passed me up am I bitter that they can beat me in a comps now. No I am super stoked to see them place at the top of every comp. I know I had a hand in helping them get to that point. That reward is way more rewarding to me than anything.

Just think if it wasn't for these few elite group of people that work so hard on the weekends threw the week and in the off seasons to keep INT going there would be no next generation of riders to come up the ranks and then on to the pro tour.

I know I will be there riding in the comps again and also helping as much as I can next season.
If you look at Alex and the way he rides and the love he has for the sport it all came from grass roots events that got him to where he is today.

One more thing you need to stop and think about is why you got on a wakeboard in the first place. Yep fun just think of the smile it puts on your face or the tingles that run threw your body when you land that trick.

Once you get to the point you get that same exact feeling when someone else lands that trick or sticks that run then you can say you are a true rider.

This is the same fealing all the people that help with INT get when riders progress or hit that sick run they have been working on for two months. Thats why they do INT for the true love of the sport.

All that are complainig will just come and go like the ones before them.

Chuck, Peter, and Lynda keep doing what your doing.

Ride to live live to ride.
Old     (wakemania)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-14-2008, 6:03 PM Reply   
Very well said Squid. I also would like to thank everyone involved in the INT for making these great events possible. Also, for all the sponsors who provide the best boats and gear. We have really enjoyed the family atmosphere and friendships we have made.

Only one complaint. There were 26 riders in the INT intermediate class at the USC and only 3 got a trophy. Do you think next year we could all get a trophy, since that's all we are in it for?

JK...LOL. I wouldn't change a thing. We had a blast at Bakersfield even though I didn't get a trophy.
Old     (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       11-14-2008, 6:16 PM Reply   
Roger- This one cracked me up

"I just got a great idea for a PSA (Luker- that means Public Service Announcement). "Where a helmet or you too could become a Luker"/"

Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-14-2008, 6:25 PM Reply   
Well said Squid, I rode INT in 95, rocking my 3 fin directional Shaprio, now that was a deck I've been involved with grassroot contest since 94 when if we got 12 or 15 riders at a contest that was a big deal. Grassroots contest have come a long way as Squid has witnessed. Without the hard working family's like the Payton's, Twelker's, Gary & Stacy with DRA that bust their hump to support these events so the rest of us can have a good time where are the next level of riders coming from, Squid nailed it in his post. Andrew Adkison, Emily Copeland, Austin Hair, Tino Santori Brian Hutton, Nick Jones, Robby Carter, Tony Carroll, Ryan King, Steven Cahail, the Hoffman sisters, the Valdez brothers the Ennen brothers and the list goes on an on, all got their start and learned how to be contest riders through these events. Did their parents support them and cheer them on at these grassroots events, you bet. But I guess their not "core" like you Luker.
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       11-14-2008, 10:11 PM Reply   
I must be a poser because I chose to ride INT over the WWA because of the point system. In my opinion the point system is better, Everybody could bitch about all judging and there is always going to be politics involved.

Squid..shouldn't you be sanding cabinets?
Old     (dadthedriver)      Join Date: Jul 2004       11-15-2008, 12:41 AM Reply   
Wow! I would like to say this. Obviously LUKER has no intention of progressing the sport. INT is a great way for kids to get experience competing. That builds confidence, self esteem, and pride in what they have done. All the people that Luker seems to want to slam have put a lot of their time and money into these events so that everybody can have a great time and get the opportunity to try and advance not only their riding but the sport as a whole. I have taken a lot of time and money either driving or flying with my son all over the United States and Canada for both INT and WWA and also the PWT. Does that make me a "Soccer Dad"? No, it makes me a supportive father. Just like my wife who was doing the same thing for my other son for Volleyball, Does that make her a "soccer Mom"? No, we have always told our kids that if they put forth the effort we would support it. They do their part, so we do ours. Just like the Paytons and Twelkers who put on the local events. Sure their kids get to ride but so do alot of other kids and their kids are not the ones that win every time. When we go to these grassroots comps it is usually 3 days of great riding and great times with friends we only see at these comps. Many times I talk to kids that the only time they get to ride behind a "real" wakeboard boat is at these competitions. How is that not helping the sport?

As far as the scoring system. If you know the rules you build a run to get the most points. Just like on the PWT when they went to the drive format everybody changed their run from nothing but a Mobefest to a more rounded run that better suited the scoring system.
Old     (la_mancha)      Join Date: Nov 2008       11-15-2008, 11:52 AM Reply   
The village idiot’s reason is a light to us all. He has come forth from his garbage heap to bring sublime guidance. We should completely remove all INT’s. But wait, why stop there? Let us remove the Pro Tour as well! All judging and contests are evil! Let us remove the magazines and all the pro’s as well. All evil!

I can see it now. Lurker leaflets! The Lurker magazine! Lurker action figures! “I’m with Lurker” t-shirts. Lurker Christmas ornaments! Lurker for President!

Lurker’s despotism of idiocy has begun. Resistance is futile; join or get out of the path of the tidal wave of revolution, for it comes to drown the heathens and bless the virtuous ‘core riders’.

ALL HAIL THE LURKER!!!
Old     (roughrivermike)      Join Date: Apr 2006       11-16-2008, 12:04 PM Reply   
I have to say..At your expense LUKER, this is my favorite thread in over a year. When do we start the "best thread of the year contest"?
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       11-16-2008, 12:34 PM Reply   
Local tournys are great for getting wakeboarding to more people but have so many levels to ride is a little lame... remember the hyperlite grassroot tour, that was done as good as it gets.
I think like 6 classes

begin
novice
intermediate
advanced
outlaw
pro

if you don't fit into one of those you've got problems.

As far as scoring it should be a set point value for each trick but then each trick done is rated 1-10 or something.

I go out throw a hs 5 barely wake to wake, low, ugly, no grab and the next guy comes out and throws a Hs 5 huge, grabbed, and pretty he should get more points.
So my 5 would be the set points "X" + 2 lets say
while the other guys would be "X" + 7... making his worth more.

The parents do get a little extreme sometimes too, I remember seeing a few years ago after someones kid got 3rd because he rode worse than 2 other kids but since he was younger the mom thought he should have won... stupid i know, but she felt the only way to deal with the situation by pushing over a Redbull cooler spilling it everwhere....grabbing her kid by the wrist as he is embarrassed as all hell storming off screaming that the whole thing is BULLSH*T and he is never coming back to the shop, and to top it off pushed over a rack of wakeboards on display outside....

So parents, support but don't stupid
Old     (kneeboarddad)      Join Date: Sep 2005       11-16-2008, 3:44 PM Reply   
Unfortunately one bad apple spoils the whole bunch. You don't notice the parents who do the right thing. For every one you see who are idiots there are 9 who do it the right way. I think wakeboarding parents are some of the more mellow sports parents. There was a girl who about 15 or 16 who rode pretty well and won most all of the INT stops in her division. She loved it, the parents loved it and it was a great experience for 3 years. Then one tournament she gets 2nd and the dad loses it. They explain she repeated a trick or two. The dad pulled her out of INT and promised never to do it again.

He did not come back the following year as promised. How sad. The one who lost out is his daughter. There is not a lot of options in water sports. These kind of parents give all parents a bad name. I totally understand about passion and wanting your kid to win but you are doing a disservice to your kid and the sport to do that. Same with the lady in Nick's story.

There are plenty of good role models out there. I have never seen Randy lose it or even get upset at Alex or the judges. Murray's dad is always first class. Tino's mom and dad. Adkinsons, Valdez, Harfs. All these parents watch their kids and are always first class. I have been to many, many INT stops and most all the parents are helping and volunteering and not criticizing or going crazy. While all parents have some flaws and made mistakes, most are an asset to the sport. Matter of fact I would bet there would be no wakeboarding if there weren't parents supporting it.
Old     (michael_riffle)      Join Date: Mar 2005       11-16-2008, 10:14 PM Reply   
Okay, I rarely will ever post when things get heated, because everyone seems to have their different views and I dont like to get caught up with insulting comments. Many of the people that post on this site are very instumental in making INT what it is. They defend the program, because they have worked countless hours in trying to make a program that is fair and honest. Most of our competitors will also defend it due to it being very important to them. I have been involved in wakeboarding since the skurfer days and I can tell you, I have watched a lot of changes over the last 18 years. I have also been a coordinator for 9 years and responsible for the INT wakeboard program. Yes we have tried to evolve with the sport and make a program that is designed to make kids and adults better riders. We like to view our program as a stepping stone for the bigger picture. I have personally watched riders move from our lower division to become very viable pro riders, please note that 45% of the competiting WWA pro riders came out of our program. Everyone has their views and that is fine and if you dont like our format, maybe INT is not for you. I just have a problem when people that have never experience the program take shots at it, when they really have no idea. If you think you have the answers, we would love for you to get involved. Your ideas are always welcomed and please remember we are all trying to make the best program possibile
Old     (balr54)      Join Date: May 2004       11-17-2008, 5:23 AM Reply   
"The village idiot’s reason is a light to us all. He has come forth from his garbage heap to bring sublime guidance. We should completely remove all INT’s. But wait, why stop there? Let us remove the Pro Tour as well! All judging and contests are evil! Let us remove the magazines and all the pro’s as well. All evil!"

Looks like we have another 1 post wonder! Once again, somebody is too much of a punk to say something under their own name.

As far as the INT goes, I have never rode in one so I really don't have much to say. I am sure that like everything, there are going to good and bad things about it. Several people I know who are older now started out in the INT/grassroots tourneys. A couple of them are team riders now (at various levels). IMO, we eed to have all levels of the tournament from INT/NWL grassroots systems all the way up to the PWT. Everybody's comfort level is going to be different. And everybody is going to have better success with different scoring systems. To each his own.
Old     (la_mancha)      Join Date: Nov 2008       11-17-2008, 7:04 PM Reply   
A punk? Dost thou wishest to joust?

I am the avatar of chivalry, the reflection of idiocy, and that is all you need to know.

Good day to you, Mr. Jeigh Crapp. Pun intended. Don't take my words too seriously, but seriously enough.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       11-17-2008, 7:23 PM Reply   
I used to see more parental "attitude" at one little league game then I've ever seen in all my years at local contests, WWAs INTs etc. I just don't see what the problem is here. Wakeboard contests don't bring out the worst in parents anymore then any other sport, in fact at this point I think they are way better.

The root of some of the above really is that some people get an attitude when they see a "wakeboard parent" that is giving their kids ever opportunity to succeed, which is something that's really the number one prerequisite for success in contests these days. That's really just jealously, pure and simple, it doesn't mean contests are inherently bad.
Old     (balr54)      Join Date: May 2004       11-18-2008, 6:32 AM Reply   
Hey kids, welcome back to third grade! And that is all the time I really need to waste addressing that because once again, your post is irrelevant to anything except starting an online pissing match. Now if you have anything constructive to say, please feel free to enlighten me.
Old     (mike2001)      Join Date: Feb 2008       11-18-2008, 6:59 AM Reply   
Since I am bored at work, I took the time to read this whole thread. Poor showing on both sides of this discussion. Sure, cheap shots have been taken at the INT, but I'm pretty surprised at the quality of responses made...especially by people who support and organize these events. I would think those involved would do more to promote a better image. And 13 and 14 yr olds always get flamed on these boards for poor grammAr, but I haven't seen much better in this thread.
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       11-18-2008, 7:10 AM Reply   
The truth is, that both sides of this aregument have valid points. Whats funny, is that we have taken an activity and turned it into a subjective competition. This has FAIL written all over it. Just like every other "sport" that has done this (figure skating, gymnastics, etc) there is never a fair way to score it. The competition scene gets so annoying with all the parent drama and complaining that people stop going. So what do they do? They start their own tournament for novices who just want to get out and ride together in "friendly" competition. Thats what the INT was. Most of those trick names and scores were put on the sheet by people in my demographic. I was in INT when it was only a skiiers deal. We, the wakeboarders, had to add new tricks to those lists and assign their point value before we started taking runs (I appologize for some of the stupid names and redundant entries, LOL). It was a fun way to get together and ride without the drama. But then it started getting to serious and it was just like the rest of them.

What is the purpose of these events? IMO, its to get together with other riders, watch each other ride, and enjoy the day. So why not just have an "exhibition" instead of a "competition"? Doesnt it perform the same function? Let the riders watch each other and decide who gets the shwag packs.
Old     (la_mancha)      Join Date: Nov 2008       11-18-2008, 8:13 AM Reply   
Mr. Krupp, (finally got your name right)

My posts are irrelevant because this thread is based on irrelevance. The Lurker's posts were originally focused on a stereotype of parents that maybe represents a minute fraction of the whole. He also criticized the INT without the experience of participating in one; he judges from a distance without any accuracy.

So his comments are irrelevant in their imprecision, and I decided to be irrelevant myself in response. His reason is dense, cloudy, so what can one do except play with him? It was only meant to be a stupid joke, so stupid that many probably did not even laugh.

I am sorry you did not pick up on the joke, and I forgive your harsh words, good sir. Please don't urinate on your computer, it might break it.

Good day to you, Mr. Cra...Krupp
Old     (balr54)      Join Date: May 2004       11-18-2008, 8:26 AM Reply   
Does anybody have directions to the Renaissance Faire?
Upload
Old     (la_mancha)      Join Date: Nov 2008       11-18-2008, 8:37 AM Reply   
Woo Hoo, the Good Ole Days! How I miss them. Except that gentleman doesn't look very valorous. Possibly too many twinkies. But you are now speaking my language.

I can show you the way, but you will have to saddle up with Sancho Panza on his donkey. (For your knowledge: the donkey is the domesticated descendant of the wild ass)
Old     (la_mancha)      Join Date: Nov 2008       11-18-2008, 9:10 AM Reply   
Upload
Old     (balr54)      Join Date: May 2004       11-18-2008, 9:14 AM Reply   
Thank you for the update on the evolution of the wild ass. It was very helpful to my day to day life. Also, I would like to apologize to you for calling you a punk. That was definitely not the right verbage to use now that I know you a bit better. Would ruffian be more sutiable.

Look, were becoming friends and didn't even realize it.
Old     (la_mancha)      Join Date: Nov 2008       11-18-2008, 10:00 AM Reply   
There was a subtle joke with the donkey post, but no matter.

Apart from the grammar and spelling mistakes, ruffian is a little inaccurate. The word you are looking for is rogue.

Friends? Why I thought of you more as a toy. A toy I could shape and mould for the pleasure of my sarcastic whims.

Hmm, but friends maybe we should be. Without you, I would have no reason to post!
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       11-18-2008, 12:54 PM Reply   
WOW WHAT A THREAD- I avoided this thread because it was about INT. INT is super lame in Minnesota, I used to Participate like crazy in INT. Then it fell apart. It made a come back this year, I am just not into the format or spending my whole day at a contest when I could get like 10 sets in at home with photogs.

I will however say that made a TON of good wake connection within INT. Def worth the investment of the time I gave it.
Old     (beckycarter)      Join Date: Oct 2008       11-18-2008, 4:12 PM Reply   
This was definitely quite a blog. After reading all of the posts, I just wanted to say that I have a major soft spot for the Nor Cal WWA and INT leagues. I think that the families involved are absolutely wonderful people. They all know who they are and I just wanted to thank all of them. I haven't been to the comps for the past couple of seasons but the relationships I built over the years are still very important to me. I know that no matter what I'd always be accepted with open arms over there.

I would never gave a parent flack for supporting their child. I think that is very important. In fact, I would sometimes envy a lot of the riders whose parents were at every event watching them compete because I didn't have that.

I would also like to add that those INT and WWA competitions that I was involved in and rode in opened a lot of doors for me and I'm thankful for each and every one of them.
Old     (inty399)      Join Date: May 2007       11-18-2008, 6:17 PM Reply   
for all of you INT haters go to one event. you don't even need to compete. just go chill for the day and hang out with people with the same interests as you. quit being so LAME and hating on the INT.

the INT has been a huge part of my life. my closest friends have all came from the INT. we also have a awesome cordinator in Kansas. Mike Riffle, have a conversation with this guy and he will change all of your views on the INT.
Old     (wakemania)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-18-2008, 7:19 PM Reply   
Don't be too harsh on Luker. He is evidently being fed a bunch of untruths about the INT as a whole by someone who is bitter toward the INT for some reason. If you take a look at this link to the No Worries Tour he mentions above, you will see a subtle shot at the INT. Scroll down to the bottom. It suggests that INT participants are only in it for a trophy. Sound familiar? It does look like a good event for a great cause though. The shot at INT is a little surprising.

http://www.noworriestour.com/What%20to%20Expect.html
Old     (hoosairboy)      Join Date: Aug 2005       11-19-2008, 7:49 AM Reply   
I looked up the noworries page. That is a strange comment from what seems to be a decent organization. Maybe the person that wrote that was some kid or something and not part of that organization. Not very professional.

It is fascinating to see how these post go from a simple question to all kinds of rants and raves and into different rabbit holes.
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       11-19-2008, 8:25 AM Reply   
I've been out of the office at a client all week and haven't had a chance to read this thread since last friday.... when very obviously I had nothing to do.

This discussion has been interesting and I hate some feathers got ruffled, but these are my opinions (which are like a** holes ;)). Everything in and out of wakeboarding has flaws and there isn't always an easy fix. I'm glad to see that INT is making some changes to their judging system and I think progress like that is nothing but good for the organization.

I didn't write the "trophy" comment on the NWT site, but I assure you it was made by a "dad", who has nothing but love for wakeboarding and the progression of the sport and was made at the urging of us... the riders. After a few comments at the first stop of our Tour last year, we decided to make it very clear to of all of the parents from the local INT that were coming to our contest that complaining about the format and judging was unacceptable. We believe who better to run a contest that the riders, so we let the best, most involved shredders in our area come up with what they thought was best format for the contest and no uber-involved parent was going to get in the middle. We make sure everyone knows at the riders meeting in the morning that our contest is laid back, and we are here to ride and fellowship, not to get a prize.

We have our flaws as well... for instance, some of the guys thought we should institute a "Pro" class this year because of the large turnout of Outlaw riders. Personally I thought it turned out to be a stupid idea, but its what the top riders wanted so we let them do it and we probably wont do it again. Another thing that happened was while riding in the intermediate class, I ended up sticking a Toe 5 on my last trick of the pass and instead of bumping me to advanced they let me stay in intermediate. I didn't win, but I probably should have been bumped and some other kid should have gotten on the podium.

I'm just saying, I like to see riders pushing the sport rather than parents. Mainly because riders foster a more chilled out atmosphere than parents because we do it for the love of the ride, not for the promotion of our kid. But I guess if the sport is getting pushed, it doesn't really matter who's doing it.

My apologies to everyone I pissed off.
Old     (wakemania)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-19-2008, 10:51 AM Reply   
Luker, as far as I am concerned your apology is accepted. We all say things we later regret after having thought about it.

I would like to add that I have never seen a kid get upset or a parent get ugly at an INT event, and I have been to a lot of them. I'm sure there are isolated instances though where things get out of hand or a show of poor sportsmanship. After all, a parents love for their kid runs very deep and seeing their kid get hurt or cheated sometimes brings out the worst in a parent. Not excusing it, but until you have kids of your own, you will not know the feeling. There have been times when I have asked for clarification on a rule or judgement, but it was for future reference and gaining experience from mistakes. Anytime you have an event that is a "competition" then the kids are going to want to win and their parents want to see them succeed; that's just human nature. If you truly want to just have fun and get together for riding, then don't have winners, just let it be an exhibition as stated above.

As I said before, the NoWorries Tour sounds like a good event for a very good cause. I wouldn't mind going to one of their events myself. However, the INT is also very well ran and a great experience. We would love to have you come to one near you.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-19-2008, 10:55 AM Reply   
At most of the local events I've been to, if the parents hadn't been there and been involved, there wouldn't have been an event....
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       11-19-2008, 11:29 AM Reply   
Believe me, the handful of parents who put this thing on are the heartbeat that make it happen (The Watts and The Graydons). Getting the permits, sponsors, and just about everything else administratively is handled by them and they do an amazing job. I promise, you don't want riders running everything because it will be slow and lots of stuff will get missed. What is great about this group of parents is that when it came to the judging, classes, etc... they let the riders have the biggest say because they figure we know what makes the most sense.

A little background so you can have some perspective: my parents are hours away and essentially have nothing to do with my riding. I'm 25, married, and work fulltime at an accounting firm. I randomly met up with my crew through WW when I moved here 2 years ago and they have let me have as much input in how this thing is run as anybody.
Old     (kneeboarddad)      Join Date: Sep 2005       11-19-2008, 11:53 AM Reply   
Sounds like no worries is pretty cool. That's what is great about having choices. Those who don't like INT can choose something like that. That is how INT got started, waterskiers didn't like the atmosphere and over the top competition and not having any fun or fellowship at the AWSA comps. It is also fine to offer contstructive criticism and not like all aspects of one organization or the other. My suggestion is to do it in a way that is not so personally insulting.

As far as INT wakeboard judges go- I think every INT coordinator would love to have riders judge the events but unfortunately there isn't enough dependable ones to chose from. Most parent only judge because there is no one else.
Old     (beckycarter)      Join Date: Oct 2008       11-19-2008, 12:11 PM Reply   
On the contrary... that is not always the case, in fact I've never seen a parent judging events. I am a rider and I have judged for INT before. Along with myself, all of the other judges were also riders. I guess it varies and other INT comps may be different from the one I was involved in.

That statement seems a little bold to me.
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-19-2008, 1:46 PM Reply   
In NorCal, INT, WWA & DRA (where Becky rides when she blessed us with her presence) are always judged by the riders, and their always happy to help out and give back. All the NorCal grassroots contests, riders and parents are family, always have been. Chuck & Linda, Peter & Patty, Gary & Stacy, THANK YOU.
Old     (wake4fun)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-19-2008, 3:56 PM Reply   
Wow! What was the original post on this thread? As someone who competed in INT events with my family I have nothing but respect for the people who put the events on. As others have said no competition is perfect for everyone. There are going to be people who disagree with results or the way things are run especially in something as big as the INT League. No other organization offers country wide events ran on the same format. Most WWA or NWL contests are localized in specific small areas.

I have seen little league parents at wake events in the past...seems to have died down in the last few years I think because most have learned that there really isn't much money in the sport.

Honestly wakeboard contests whether INT or otherwise are there just for people to have fun. You can make friends who have a common interest and improve your own riding. I know my kids did nothing but jump the wake heelside until they started competing. It opened up a whole new world for them.

I am grateful for the time my family spent with the INT League, for the friends we made and all the hours we put on several wakeboats. It was a great way to bring up teenagers. I always knew where they were...either in that 20' space or 70 feet behind it.
Old    wakejjboard12            11-19-2008, 7:39 PM Reply   
Not to call anyone one out or re-hash this but, i totally understand where Luker is coming from. Our local INTs are exactly what he described which is why most of us in the area now choose NWT. Other states seem pretty legit, wish ours was.
Old     (kneeboarddad)      Join Date: Sep 2005       11-20-2008, 4:30 AM Reply   
I just read my post and I flunk communications 101. INT does use riders to judge but there are some times when there are not any riders to judge and then they have to rely on parents. I just have a hard time criticizing anyone who volunteers to put on an event of any kind. It is a lot of work with very little thanks. I look at the INT coordinators I know in both North and South Carolina and I am utterly amazed at what they do and give in order for my family to have an event to come to.

They come out Friday night to set up for that weekends event. They will have the next 2 days working 8 to 10 hours putting on the tournament getting home late Sunday night totally exhausted but still getting up to go to their job the next day. They are giving up 5 weekends every summer just to put on an event for families like mine. They have to fund and use one week of their personal time to go to the US Championships each year which consist of meetings and working 14 hour days hosting the event. Now they have to go back and start finding sponsors to fund the events because fees don't cover the cost. This is how they spend their winter and spring along with trying to find lakes to host the event. Did I mention they have to also qualify drivers, judges and other officials.

I probably missed many other things they have to do also. In SC, Eric and the Millers don't have any kids nor do Mark or Kathy get to compete very often. They do it for the kids. Any small bit of money that is made at the events is consumed by traveling to US Championships.

Same thing goes to people like the Valdezs who put on their tournaments other than INT and others around the country. So from all of us who benefit imensely from all your work and efforts I want to give you a big THANK YOU.

Here is one rule I highly recommend at any event. No suggestions or criticisms may be offered during the event. Any assistance, money, thanks or prayers will be gratefully accepted at this time. Suggestions and criticisms may be submitted 48 hours at the conclusion of an event and only if this was not your first event.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       11-20-2008, 6:21 AM Reply   
"I just have a hard time criticizing anyone who volunteers to put on an event of any kind."

+1 TO THAT!
Old    benj_t            11-20-2008, 7:26 PM Reply   
who cares about contests....
lets just have some fun wakeboarding