Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (lksamm)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-24-2010, 11:01 PM Reply   
To Todd and the Towanza crew and all the guys at centurion for putting on a great event. It was truly unbelievable how many things happened that were totally out of their control but they were able to roll with it and keep the event moving. Also a big thanks to Mr Wheelhouse who did a masterful job on the mic. Really he alone kept the crowd engaged while the centurion pit crew was pulling boats out of the water and replacing props and other thing (like removing the stainless steel cable wrapped around the shaft). I can't begin to tell you how hard these people worked.
Old     (colombiansurfer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-25-2010, 4:33 AM Reply   
How did an SS cable get wrapped around the shaft? What were the uneventfuls? I am glad that it was a successful event and hate that when things go wrong. How awesome were the boats?
Old     (Squirrel)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-25-2010, 5:23 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by colombiansurfer View Post
How did an SS cable get wrapped around the shaft? What were the uneventfuls? I am glad that it was a successful event and hate that when things go wrong. How awesome were the boats?
Pretty awesome but the wave could have been better with those boats definitely
Old     (StanleyWheelhouse)      Join Date: May 2010       07-25-2010, 6:44 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by colombiansurfer View Post
I am with Mark on this. You should have seen the spectators. There were tons. Legit throw down FaSho. Everything that could have gone wrong did. However, the many curve balls were knocked right out of the park.

The cable guy is why the cable was entangled in the prop.
Old     (colombiansurfer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-25-2010, 7:07 AM Reply   
Glad everything went good! Sad about a cable guy running a cable to interfere with the props on the boats, from what I hear/read. But here an Avalanche pulled it off without a hitch? Curious what the setup was in the Avy.

On a side note, why is Towanza and CentrionCrew forums down???
Old    surfdad            07-25-2010, 10:42 AM Reply   
Yeah - Stanley did an amazing job, not only keeping the folks from getting restless during the down time, but amping the crowd up with each ride. He also brought tons of folks over from other areas of the park to see the event and engaged the kids with things like the bootie shake for a prize and a Simon Says game.
Attached Images

Old     (green210)      Join Date: Aug 2009       07-25-2010, 11:55 AM Reply   
What exactly happend with the cable and the boat??
Old    surfdad            07-25-2010, 4:10 PM Reply   
James was on the boat judging the men's amateur surf division, I believe, and relayed the story to us.
You have to understand the venue first. It's the existing site for a club that does waterski shows, they have barefoot demo's, those pyramid ski shows and then also the double ski jumps. The jump itself is stored over to the side just off the shore but they have anchor lines down to river bottom out in the middle of the river. So, when we arrive for the event, the buoy is out there and it's visible, but not by much.

One of the riders fell during that division and the boat turned, but the flow of the river is about 1 to 2 mph and they ran over one of the buoys and it wrapped up the prop like there was no tomorrow. The PCM guys awarded Jeff Page, who was driving the boat, a special trophy for "running over a visible buoy".
Old     (lksamm)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-25-2010, 4:12 PM Reply   
Well on Friday it ran over two stainless steel cables that both wrapped around the prop and shaft. The centurion guys pulled it out and replaced the prop in record time. On Saturday the same boat hit something big under the water and bent or broke basically everything that has to do with steering and propulsion
Old    surfdad            07-25-2010, 4:17 PM Reply   
My poular vote, Jeff won the special trophy.
Attached Images

Old     (audionly101)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-25-2010, 8:13 PM Reply   
Jeff felt horrible, you could see it on his face the whole time we were getting the cable off the prop shaft. Those things happen, everyone has hit something. Everyone put on a great event, riders, judges, drivers, sponsors and organizers! It was a blast to watch!
Old     (desotodave)      Join Date: Mar 2009       07-26-2010, 2:59 PM Reply   
+1 to what everyone has said. Despite challenges, sounds like the event went off great!!! Seems like everyone had a good attitude and made a great name for all of us surfers!
Old     (StanleyWheelhouse)      Join Date: May 2010       07-26-2010, 3:25 PM Reply   
Thanks to Todd and Centurion and PCM Engines and all of the other sponsors for throwing the event and thanks for the opportunity to MC. I had an absolute blast doing it and will be glad to do it again at future events.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-26-2010, 3:33 PM Reply   
That must have been challenging to keep people up during that stuff, definite props, those times are always nuts. We launched an RZ2 at the Spring Festival, took out the bottom. Wasn't fun. I guess we were lucky it happened before the contest.

Again, props.