Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 07, 2006

Old     (wade2062)      Join Date: Jun 2006       10-19-2006, 7:14 AM Reply   
www.placidwaters.com Check this out it is a housing community totally dedicated to water sports. How sweet!!!
Old     (olddude)      Join Date: Oct 2003       10-19-2006, 7:47 AM Reply   
Here is our community, two lakes and only 18 lots.

Upload
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       10-19-2006, 9:46 AM Reply   
How many acres is that entire parcel of land, Craig? Also, where is it located?

thanks?
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       10-19-2006, 10:03 AM Reply   
Where is that? I'm ready to move!
Old     (olddude)      Join Date: Oct 2003       10-19-2006, 10:54 AM Reply   
67 Acres in Palm Bay Florida due east of Orlando close to the Atlantic Ocean. All 18 lots are on the one side of the lake only, two lakes with no house across the lake to look at.
Old     (bughunter)      Join Date: Nov 2001       10-19-2006, 10:55 AM Reply   
The aerial is from "Stillwater Lakes" in Palm Bay, Florida. One hour South of Orlando.
The lots are 1.5 acres, I have no idea how big the entire community is.
Craig has the only house on the lake. My lot, at the other end of the lake, had just been cleared at the time of the picture.
The house is almost finished now, hoping to move in in about two weeks.
Placid water is a much bigger community, with great accomodations... But hey, we can ride year-round
That is us wakeboarding in the picture, btw
Old     (olddude)      Join Date: Oct 2003       10-19-2006, 10:55 AM Reply   
By the way, the lonely house is mine!
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-20-2006, 8:45 AM Reply   
Thanks for the mention, guys. I am working on posting some pictures of Placid Waters under construction. It is big - 158 acres with an 80-acre lake. The water depth was designed for a slammed X-Star. So far, we are 1/3 sold out on the first phase. It will be nice to have private water with public water just down the street. We also have a university just 4 miles away.

While we do have a shorter season, we also don't have hurricanes, gators, and mocs.

Karl DeLooff
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-20-2006, 8:50 AM Reply   

quote:

By Karl De Looff (boarditup) on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 8:45 am:

While we do have a shorter season, we also don't have hurricanes, gators, and mocs.

yeah, but you have detroit.

Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-20-2006, 9:03 AM Reply   
Yeah, Detroit....

Go Tigers. Go Wings. Don't mention Lions.

Thankfully, we are 2 hours away from MoTown.
Old     (olddude)      Join Date: Oct 2003       10-20-2006, 9:06 AM Reply   
Hi Karl, What is the water depth of your lakes? Ours is 12-14' so they work great with a slammed X-Star or Nautique
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       10-20-2006, 9:19 AM Reply   
What's the winter like there near Detroit?
Old     (wakeparent)      Join Date: Jan 2005       10-20-2006, 9:22 AM Reply   
Karl, looks great but I don't think we could go
back to that weather. Good luck and hope everyone's doing good.
Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       10-20-2006, 9:28 AM Reply   
Ok, i'm confused. Those are two separate lakes? Is there turn around room at the end of both? Where do you dock/launch your boats?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-20-2006, 9:37 AM Reply   
Upload

Upload

and just for good measure...

Upload

Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       10-20-2006, 10:58 AM Reply   
Yep, that's kind of what I suspected. The Redwings didn't look too good vs the sharks last nite either. Let's not mention the A's though!
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       10-20-2006, 11:02 AM Reply   
craig what is the price on those lots
Old     (prm)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-20-2006, 11:05 AM Reply   
Joe, Hey don't be dissing Detroit. The city is actually doing much better now. I really don't go there much though. I live in the suburbs outside of Detroit about 30 minutes away. A few little known facts about this area. The county I live in, Oakland County is the 3rd richest county in the country based on income. Michigan leads the nation in the number of registered boats, yes even more than Florida. We have more coastline than any other state. We are only 2nd to Florida in the number of public golf courses. It's great for sports here. In the last 3 years we've hosted a Superbowl, NBA Championship, Stanley Cup Finals and now a World Series. How many places can say that. Not to mention the Ryder Cup 2 years ago. Sure we don't have the sunny warm wakeboard weather you have all year but it's not too bad here especially in the Spring, Summer and early Fall. I was at the OWC a few weeks ago and am jealous of your weather though!! If it were'nt for my kids firmly entrenched in school I'd probably move down there. Until then I'll have to enjoy it here and snow ski the winters while your still boarding.
Old     (bughunter)      Join Date: Nov 2001       10-20-2006, 11:53 AM Reply   
There are two lakes connected by a channel on the South end. Channel is idle speed only.

We can easily turn on one end of the wider lake, a double-up is tight but still works fine. On the other end of the wider lake, we tend to just drop, although we can turn as well. We drop on that one end to take a short break to to let the wakes fizzle out.
The other lake is not wide enough to turn comfortably.
We have slalom courses on both lakes. Although it is not a rule, slalom skiers use the narrow lake and wakeboarders use the wide lake.
We have two wakeboard boats on the lake now (Craig and I), so we typically use one boat at a time, more fun to watch, cheer, laugh...

If you look at the aerial picture, you can see small 'bays' in front of each lot. These are planned for a dock/boathouse. So your boat will be parked in your backyard. There is also a concrete boatramp on the North end of the lake.
Craig is the only one with a lift on the lake now. But they've started building a boathouse on another lot this week.

I'm more worried about the mosquitos then anything else. No alligators in our lakes.
Old     (olddude)      Join Date: Oct 2003       10-20-2006, 11:57 AM Reply   
All the lots have been sold, Lot 15 is for sale and there asking 260K
Old     (olddude)      Join Date: Oct 2003       10-20-2006, 12:00 PM Reply   
Renee, the two lakes are connected at the south end(right side of photo) We can turn around at each end on the east lake (wider one) with slammed 06 220 or 06 X-Star
Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       10-20-2006, 12:25 PM Reply   
A lot on a lake for $260k!!! Honey, we're moving to Florida!

Why is the water two different colors? Is it the depth?
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       10-20-2006, 12:33 PM Reply   
Man that is very nice Craig and Eddy. Everyday is a vacation spot!
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       10-20-2006, 4:03 PM Reply   
I am so glad I don't live in Cali.....I saw $260k for a lot and my jaw dropped, a Cali native saw $260k and saw opportunity!!

Heck, from what I've seen here and in Texas, you could get a beautiful home on a lot on a lake for $250-$350k.
Old     (bughunter)      Join Date: Nov 2001       10-21-2006, 4:01 AM Reply   
oh yeah, Florida is a lot more expensive than Texas, we found that out when we moved last year.
Also to get any type of construction work done, it takes a lot more money/patience.
e.g dock builders loose interest if they find out the job will be under 50K (enough work on the big new ones and hurricane repairs). Also the price is about 50-75% higher than in Texas.
I want to have a fence build and find out it is going to be twice as much for the very similar fence I had build in Texas two years ago...
I could move to California for my job, but figured they would have to double my salary to be able to do what I'm doing here.
I will stay here for awhile
Old     (bughunter)      Join Date: Nov 2001       10-21-2006, 4:12 AM Reply   
The water color is actually the same, it is so clear that the color you see is the bottom of the lakes. The narrower lake was finished a couple of years after the bigger one, it was opened last year around this time. So it has not build up the bottom residue yet. It is a little shallower as well though.
On a calm day, you can go out to the guide buoys in the slalom course on either lake and look down the anchor line to the buoy anchor on the bottom...