Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 08, 2003

Old    bobbymucic            05-20-2003, 9:54 AM Reply   
Check out my downforce applying, dog-ear spoiler.
Her second time on the boat! I have yet to ride with her in the boat; I'm not sure if she'll jump in.
shayna
Old     (suprarider)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-20-2003, 10:11 AM Reply   
Brownie's flaps are in the high speed position, catching a little drag outta that lip though
Text description
Old    riverfreak            05-20-2003, 10:16 AM Reply   
lab? sure she'll jump in, mine does then climbs the ladder, we have to tie him when we ride or he'll jump in everytime we stop....love him' but wet dogs stink
Old    markb            05-20-2003, 11:30 AM Reply   
I had my Lab in the boat for the first time and all was going well until I decided to ride. He went absolutly crazy and barked and barked and barked. It was so bad we had to stop. As soon as my wife chopped the throttle in he went after me. I guess he was just concerned! Got to love the labs..........
Old     (mossy44)      Join Date: Oct 2001       05-20-2003, 1:31 PM Reply   
here is my 100 lb lab as my ballast. this is where he stays all day long unless i tell him to go to the bathroom or go fetch the rope. he has only fallen off once and that was the first day he was ever back there. just make sure you turn off the engine if you are in idle for a while, otherwise your dog might get high off fumes. learned that one first hand. oops!
casey
Old    markb            05-20-2003, 1:33 PM Reply   
you're kidding...your dog stands on the swimdeck while the boat is at speed?? Man, I wish mine was that well behaived.....
Old     (mossy44)      Join Date: Oct 2001       05-20-2003, 2:25 PM Reply   
yup! sure does. the first time it ever happened, he jumped off the dock and was trying to get up there and someone in the back helped him up. i said to push him off so he would go back on land and the guy didnt want to. so i gave it gas and he stayed. i kept going, and from then on out, thats where he stays all day. its great. i will try and take a picture this weekend of him back there at speed just for proof in case nobody believes me.
Old    markb            05-20-2003, 2:31 PM Reply   
I believe you man. That's just too funny. A perfect spot for a wet dog! Mine is in and out ab out 50 times a minute . I bet you could teach that dog to ride on a tube or some modified combo skis!
Old     (mossy44)      Join Date: Oct 2001       05-20-2003, 2:55 PM Reply   
i have always wanted to do that. he is a great hunting dog, and if i tell him to "HOLD" something, he will. i just need to figure out what he can balance on, then i think it could work. i think starting out would be tough, but once we got going, i could tell him to hold on to the handle, and let him go. i am pretty sure he would do it. i just gotta figure out what to put him on and how to get it started. one day i will
Old    suzmar1997            05-20-2003, 2:58 PM Reply   
I remember being on a houseboat trip on the delta about 10 years ago and seeing a MC with a dog on the swim step. We took a ride with the guys as they had the airboom and we wanted to give it a try. The dog stayed on the platform the whole time (wakeboard speed and barefooting speed) it was incredible.
Old    jiving            05-20-2003, 4:31 PM Reply   
Bobby, great looking dog, labs are the best boat dogs! Mine will spot me the entire time I am riding. She doesn't jump in unless I call for her, train yours now while she is still young.
Old    skihardkore            05-20-2003, 5:28 PM Reply   
Here's my lab. He's 11 weeks now. THe second lab in our family and we love them. He realy loves the boat. He loves to stand with his paws on the front and have his ears flap in the wind.
Old    skihardkore            05-20-2003, 5:30 PM Reply   
here's another.

Old    mbsteve            05-20-2003, 5:42 PM Reply   
i have a 102 pound yellow lab,and he loves the water. when i took him out, he got hair every where.took forever to get it out, what do you guys do?
Old    markb            05-20-2003, 7:04 PM Reply   
about the only thing you can do is smile and worry about it later. Actually, I've found it best to just wait till the next day to wipe it up and vac it up after it dries. When it's wet it seems to just make more of a mess.
Old    wakerookie            05-20-2003, 7:22 PM Reply   
I don't mind the hair or the stinky lab, it's the claw marks in the teak that's killing me. We just purchased some of this no slip rubber padding that goes under your rugs, hopefully this will help, unless you guys have any better ideas. Ours really enjoys riding up front in the open bow with face in the wind.
Old    aaron_bell            05-20-2003, 8:11 PM Reply   
Do you guys trim back the toe nails more when you take your dog then say during the off boating months? I would like to take mine, but I 'm worried about the seats getting ripped. Anyone have any trouble?
Old    aaron_bell            05-20-2003, 8:15 PM Reply   
Matt,
Not to change the subject, but is your bimini one solid color or do you have a stripe in it? I would like to put one on my boat but can seem to decide on a solid one color or a solid with a stripe down the center of the top. I 've been toying with this goofy questions for weeks!
Old    mbsteve            05-20-2003, 10:50 PM Reply   
ya thats a good question,what about the toe nails?
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       05-20-2003, 11:20 PM Reply   
The 90 lb lab I used to have was all over my Nautique and never once damaged the interior. Dogs will scratch the teak up, but that is the beauty of teak...you just sand it down. The toe nails should be kept trimmed down anyway. They make a special clipper just for that purpose.
Old    skihardkore            05-21-2003, 4:34 AM Reply   
my lab doesn't damage the interior either. He often sits on the seats too and doesn't even make a mark. As long as you keep the nails relatively short.
Old     (mossy44)      Join Date: Oct 2001       05-21-2003, 7:15 AM Reply   
aaron - my bimini is a solid color.

i cant answer the question about toe nails and dog hair because like i said, mine is never actually in the boat. also, i shave him during the summer. he looks great and it is SOOO much easier for him and me keeping things clean. when i let him inside, there is not nearly as much hair as usual. its a 50/50 chance on whether or not your dog will look good shaved. i was talking to two different dog places and they say you just have to chance it the first time. some look good and some look horrible.

my parents siberian husky lays in the sun all summer because we shave him too and he loves it. he doesnt look as good, but he loves it.

wakeman - are you serious??? is that first picture really at 11 weeks old???
Old    bobbymucic            05-21-2003, 10:05 AM Reply   
I agree with Matt, Wakeman's dog is huge!
Shayna is only 46 lbs at 7 months. I don't think she'll get above 65 lbs at full grown. I prefer that she not get too big, easier all around.

We are looking to get an second dog, sometime next year. I was planning on getting an older dog from the pound, but Shayna has been so great, I may pick up one of her relatives.
Old    skihardkore            05-21-2003, 4:06 PM Reply   
HAHA, sorry guys, i meant 11 months. wow, sorry.
Old     (sid7)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-21-2003, 8:43 PM Reply   
here are my boxers--they add about and extra 135lbs!!!

Old     (mossy44)      Join Date: Oct 2001       05-22-2003, 5:32 AM Reply   
thanks wakeman for clearing that up. i know a little bit about dogs, but if you were really gonna try and say that the dog was only 11 weeks in that picture i was gonna let you know that you might have a horse in your family, not a dog! still looks like he is gonna be a big dog.
Old    skihardkore            05-22-2003, 7:50 AM Reply   
Yeah, his dad was quite a big dog, but his mother was not. I'm interested to see how he turns out.
Old     (suprarider)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-22-2003, 9:40 AM Reply   
one more try...
Text description
Old    skeeter            05-22-2003, 11:12 AM Reply   
How about my cat, will it work as well?
cat
Old    sickboy            05-22-2003, 11:31 AM Reply   
Here's my mutt...

ukon
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-22-2003, 12:08 PM Reply   
Haha!! That cat looks seriously pissed!

B-
Old     (mossy44)      Join Date: Oct 2001       05-22-2003, 1:06 PM Reply   
i would be to!!
Old     (laptom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-22-2003, 2:02 PM Reply   
Skeeter, that cat looks like a ... Never mind .

We just bought a jung (8 weeks now) Rottweiler puppy. Any suggestions how to handle a dog for the first time on a boat. The dog isn't scared at all. So I don't think we have a lot of problems with it, but any help is welcom.

Tommy
Old     (tlb)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-22-2003, 2:39 PM Reply   
Skeeter, that's the funniest picture of a cat I've ever seen. It dosen't look real.
Old    skeeter            05-23-2003, 6:39 AM Reply   
Not quite sure where it came from, but somebody sent it to me with the caption, "So you think you are having a bad day!"

On the serious side, I'd love to get a yellow Lab. They are the best water dogs out there. They require alot of attention, don't they???
Old     (jroyal)      Join Date: Jan 2003       05-23-2003, 9:35 AM Reply   
The good thing about a dog on a boat is it adds ballast and doesn't count towards your capacity count of PEOPLE.

Old     (mossy44)      Join Date: Oct 2001       05-23-2003, 10:10 AM Reply   
i am kinda surprised no cops have ever told me to make my dog get in the boat!
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-23-2003, 11:51 AM Reply   
The capacity rating on a boat is a guideline only. As long as you have a life jacket and a place for the passenger to sit there is nothing that prevents you from loading the boat up beyond the capacity rating, other than perhaps common sense.
Old    skeeter            05-23-2003, 12:15 PM Reply   
Ever tried explaining that to a Game Warden???BTW, They love Labs!!
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-23-2003, 12:58 PM Reply   
Matt--That's insane about your dog..I can't stop fricken laughin!!

You guys can't mess with this ballast...
Old    shifty_prick            05-24-2003, 12:19 AM Reply   
hahaha, i've gotta get a picture of my dog in the boat now. Teak oil anyone?its hard to get hold of from where i come from....anyway, that cat looks really.....pissed?
Old     (rrbooker)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-24-2003, 3:42 AM Reply   
after a long day
Old     (mossy44)      Join Date: Oct 2001       05-24-2003, 8:44 AM Reply   
every now and then, my dog will whine because he wants to go retrieve the handle and i wont let him. one day, he was whining and i couldnt figure out why. he had to go piss and i hadnt let him in a while. so, the next thing i know, he is squating like a girl on the swim deck taking a leak in the water. it was pretty funny, but i felt bad for him.
Old    hockeyruss            05-26-2003, 8:05 AM Reply   
My dog never takes her eyes off the boarder. When the person is done with his or her run, one quick word from me and it's rescue dog flying off the platform. It is cool cause all you gotta do is grab her back and she pulls you to the platform. She doesn't stink when wet but she sheds, especially when wet. I am constantly vacuuming up dog hair.

on watch
Old    dream_weaver            05-26-2003, 6:26 PM Reply   
Here is our chocolate lab in her favorite spot. She also likes to sit on the top of the bow!
dog on boat
Old     (jonfo)      Join Date: May 2002       06-17-2003, 3:20 PM Reply   
Katie on nautique on lake sammamish, wa

Katie on nautique on lake sammamish, wa
Old    tabiggs            06-18-2003, 6:26 AM Reply   

Old     (gitair77)      Join Date: Sep 2001       06-18-2003, 6:59 AM Reply   
My dog always wears his CG approved safety vest when in the water. However we dont let him wear it in the boat(not cool)
Silly Dog
Old     (gitair77)      Join Date: Sep 2001       06-18-2003, 7:00 AM Reply   
My dog always wears his CG approved safety vest when in the water. However we dont let him wear it in the boat(not cool)
Silly Dog
Old     (siuski)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-26-2003, 7:30 AM Reply   
Got to represent small boat buddies. How about a couple of weiner dogs: Captain (red) and Morgan (chocolate and tan). They both love the water and swim well.

Tricia and the dogs