Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 06, 2007

Old     (mikeporter2000)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-13-2007, 12:03 PM Reply   
I am having a problem with my boat getting into gear. I move my throttle forward and the boat seems to go into gear, but there is a delay in getting the engine to kick in fully. Basically I move the throttle forward and the transmission engages, but then the throttle has to move a big more for the RPM's to go up and the boat to move forward. When it does engage it happens a bit too suddenly and it isn't smooth - the RPM's jump up quicly. Any ideas on how to fix this?
Old     (yager97)      Join Date: Feb 2007       07-13-2007, 12:08 PM Reply   
Sounds like your transmission is slipping, you have a v-drive or a direct drive? I'm going to guesss v-drive
Old     (mikeporter2000)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-13-2007, 12:10 PM Reply   
v-drive. Woudl that require a transmission repair? I two with about 2300 in ballast so it woudln't surprise me. My boat only has 200 hours however.
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       07-13-2007, 12:16 PM Reply   
Could it be the Perfect pass cord isn't tight and is slipping as you accelerate?
Old     (yager97)      Join Date: Feb 2007       07-13-2007, 12:19 PM Reply   
Ya that would require a transmission repair, same as in a car. Better to repair it then have have it blow and have to replace it though. I could be wrong though, might be something totally different than your tranny, maybe there is something failing in the computer system that reads the spark plugs and your misfiring in some way.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-13-2007, 12:23 PM Reply   
Check your trans fluid. Make sure you aren't leaking into the bilge somewhere. I've yet to have any trans problems and we run a fair amount of weight in all our boats.
Old     (yager97)      Join Date: Feb 2007       07-13-2007, 10:54 PM Reply   
why do the threads that deserve little attention spawn the biggest arguments, but someone with a legitimate problem gets minimal response??? Wish I could help ya more bud
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       07-13-2007, 11:42 PM Reply   
From Mike's description, it sounds more like the throttle cable is sticking or something. If a trans is slipping there is not usually a jerk when it stops slipping, but a more subtle engagement. As Evan said, check you fluid. The PP cord is another great tip.

What kind of boat and which engine? Try to give as much info as possible when asking for help
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-14-2007, 6:21 AM Reply   
All good suggestions. Peter is right - we need to know more. Maybe this is the first we've heard of problems with a throttle-by-wire system?

Definitely check the tranny fluid level first - I'm pretty sure that low fluid will cause delayed engagement. If it's low, find out why.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-14-2007, 6:53 AM Reply   
Sounds like a tranny to me
Old     (mikeporter2000)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-14-2007, 1:40 PM Reply   
Thanks for the responses so far. The transimission fluid is fine and clean. The perfect pass cable is tight. I did notice the throttle cable going to the fuel injection portion of the engine is a bit bent and has some of the coating off of it. There is a slight clunk/jerk when it does engage, but it is very minimal.

How about the adjustments on both the transmission and engine cables? Coudl those need adjustment? Also, does anyone know what the idle shoudl be at for a 2003 Mercruiser 350 MAG MPI, 315 HP engine? I'm wonering if the idle could be off as well. It's set to 750 RPM's currently. Thanks.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       07-14-2007, 2:09 PM Reply   
Start here, "I did notice the throttle cable going to the fuel injection portion of the engine is a bit bent and has some of the coating off of it."

With the boat off, have one person work the throttle and the second person, watches the cable at the throttle body. Does the throttle cable stick then release suddenly?

If the trans was slipping you have have a high RPM with little forward movement, then it would catch softly and the prop would catch up to the engine speed.

What happens in reverse? Same thing?
Old     (luchog)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-14-2007, 4:27 PM Reply   
I'm with Peter, it sounds like a shift or accelerator cable issue.
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       07-15-2007, 3:17 PM Reply   
Your Idle is fine- should be anywhere from 600-750
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       07-15-2007, 5:51 PM Reply   
Check your gas tank. You may have some water in your fuel.
Old     (mikeporter2000)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-16-2007, 8:12 AM Reply   
Ok, a little more info. It seems that the boat wants to move forward once it hits about 900 RPM's. Even if the idle is set at 900 (with the gear shift in nuetral) once I shift it into forward gear the RPMs drop down to 500. In order to get the boat to move forward I have to move the throttle enough so that the RPMs hit 900 and then the transmission will engage and the boat moves forward. I can adjust the idle in nuetral easily, but how do I adjust the RPM's so that once I move the trottle forward the RPM's are immediately at 900 instead of 500? I was thinking if I made that adjustment, then the throttle would engage without delay. Perhaps I should just take the boat in, but I'm looking to see if there is a quick solution before I do so. Thanks.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-16-2007, 8:21 AM Reply   
your tranny is failing get it in now before more damage is done or worse yet it fails on the water
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       07-16-2007, 8:36 AM Reply   
I am constantly AMAZED at the ability of SO many people on this site to accurately diagnose a problem so well, with so little information and having never seen the boat! Before insighting panic or heartburn on someone Kevin (and others), maybe taking a more conservative look at the situation would be in order- play out all of the options before going with the most expensive and extreme solution.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-16-2007, 9:03 AM Reply   
WHats so extreme about taking your boat into the shop? I have seen this exact problem in a couple boats both times it was the tranny. So I am going on experience. Of course I could be wrong but if it where my boat I would have a professional look at it. Especially if there is any kind of warranty involved. If it is the tranny and he cranks up the idle so it will engage it will fail in the future it is not fixing the problem just masking it. Of course he should take all internet advice yours and mine included with a grain of salt after all you get what you pay for
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       07-16-2007, 9:45 AM Reply   
I would still go with the shifter/throttle cables first. Check to make sure the transmission engages when it should. From the last description it kinda sounds like the throttle engages fine, but the transmission cable is kicking in a little later. This should be pretty easy to check, utilizing two people. If you know at what point the throttle engages stop right there and see if the transmission has already been shifted into gear. The transmission should be in gear long before the throttle ever starts moving.

If that is all good, then yeah it is most likely a transmission problem. The trans should slip if it is a clutch issue, but if it is a valve issue the pressure may have to over come something before engaging.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-16-2007, 10:00 AM Reply   
The first time I saw that problem I disconnected the shift cable at the tranny then shifted it by hand it would not go into gear unless the rpms went up. You could also try what Peter suggested but I would advise against trying to raise your idle rpms keeping in mind what I said earlier about internet advice

(Message edited by krbaugh on July 16, 2007)
Old     (mikeporter2000)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-16-2007, 10:05 AM Reply   
Thanks guys.

Peter, I am pretty sure I checked this yesterday and I recall that the transmission cable does engage when the throttle is forward, but the boat won't go forward until the RPMs hit 900-1000. I'm thinking based on this the transmission is slipping. If the transmission should be engaging even at the 500 RPM mark, then my transmission is definitely slipping.

Does anyone know what it takes to address a tranmission slipage? Does anyone know what the warranty is on a Tige' transmission (Syncrotech)? I think I bought the boat 4.5 years ago.
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       07-16-2007, 10:11 AM Reply   
Sorry Kevin- I didn't mean to sound so abrupt- my fault- but you're right about the free advice thing.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       07-16-2007, 10:28 AM Reply   
Mike, it does sounds like an internal trans problem then. What happens in reverse? Same thing?

Kevin has a great idea on disconnecting the shift cable. If you open the throttle to where it should be idling at 500-600 rpm's then disconnect the shift cable and see if the trans lever can move any further.

Does anyone have a fluid circuit diagram on the transmission or know where one is? I googled it but found nothing.

Mike, just curious how far away is water from you? As to rebuilding a transmission, a dealer would probably install a rebuilt then returns yours as a core. Sometimes things only need a couple of parts not a complete rebuild though. How many hours? Also how many pounds of extra weight do you add?
Old     (mikeporter2000)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-16-2007, 11:00 AM Reply   
I like the idea about disconnecting the shift cable. I will try that and see if it can move any further.

The boat is a 2003 and I tow with about 2300 pounds of ballast. I was messing around with the cables quite a big at the end of last year, so I just wanted to be sure I didn't just mess up the cables somehow. I'll let you know what else i find out. Thanks for the help.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-16-2007, 12:25 PM Reply   
If the shift cable moves more than the control moves that would be a bad thing
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-16-2007, 1:16 PM Reply   

quote:

I was messing around with the cables quite a big at the end of last year

My guess is now shift cable adjustment. In addition to having fiddled with it, I don't think slipping would cause the harsh engagement you described in the OP.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-16-2007, 1:34 PM Reply   
My dealer worked on a Tige that had several trannys replaced the cable was not adjusted right so it was not all the way in gear. As you can imagine that is not good on the transmission
Old     (mikeporter2000)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-16-2007, 2:02 PM Reply   
I am happy to report that I was able to make a couple cable adjustments to solve the problem. Taking the transmission cable off at the engine was key as this allowed me to know exactly where to adjust the cable to. Thanks Kevin! I also made an adjustment on the perfect pass portion of the throttle cable.

All is perfect now. The idle in neutral is around 750, as is the idle in gear. The transmission engages and the boat moves immedieatly now when the throttle is moved into the forward or reverse position. Thanks to everyone for all the help!
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-16-2007, 2:21 PM Reply   
Glad to here it!
This was the key "I was messing around with the cables quite a big at the end of last year"
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       07-16-2007, 2:53 PM Reply   
Mike, it is always great when a simple and even free fix solves the issue. I am sure you learned a thing or two in this saga. I always learn life's lessons the hard way.