Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       03-30-2010, 4:14 PM Reply   
Just curious,as I've never had one,nor would want one.

Someone is driving your boat(pullin you)and they pull you into a no ski zone.
Who gets popped?Driver?Owner?How much?

Sitting on the swim deck while under way?Person doing it,or the owner?

Riding with a comp vest?How much is this?Anyone know?

Anybody know the answers?
Is there a lake cop on the board?

Thanks.
Old     (justintime)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-30-2010, 5:59 PM Reply   
http://www.dbw.ca.gov/PDF/LawEnforc/2010CBL.pdf

Driver is in trouble
Driver
Rider for vest, then driver for not enough USCG approved vests

I do not know the fines
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-30-2010, 7:33 PM Reply   
$110 or so in Nevada for not wearing a USCG approved vest. He could of gave us a ticket for no observer but he didn't do that. And I was the one that got the ticket so in this case it was the boat owner.
Old     (denystaucd)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-31-2010, 8:31 AM Reply   
The swim deck under way ticket in San Joaquin County is misdemeanor $390 fine, last I heard.
Cheers,
DC

Last edited by denystaucd; 03-31-2010 at 8:32 AM. Reason: mispelling
Old     (mofreestyle)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-31-2010, 9:20 AM Reply   
Comp vest or no vest in Missouri = $0

Vest are highly recommended but not required according to Missouri law.
Old     (malibudude)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-31-2010, 4:37 PM Reply   
Driver is responsible for the operation of the vehicle me in this case but not my boat. However, the boat owner can also be cited for some of the same issues such as lack of life vests etc. according to the wata popo when I got a ticket for my rider boarding to close to the private river dock. I got the ticket $150.00, what a joke, a private dock on a public waterway.
Old    walker44            04-01-2010, 10:47 AM Reply   
The driver is the "captain of the ship" if you will. He is responsible for everything that happens on that ship, He must go down with it when it sinks and can marry anyone aboard. In all seriousness, the driver will almost always get the ticket. I got one in Long Beach for no observer while driving. They cited me for a municipal code (city law) and it was not cheap.
Old     (boomboom)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-01-2010, 2:41 PM Reply   
I can tell you that the driver gets a speeding ticket in WI. lol
$120
Old     (breakz77)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-01-2010, 5:22 PM Reply   
We've had a ticket for no observer back in 2006 at lake Shaste. If I remember correctly it was about $350

That week was a blast but we got about 4 tickets
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       04-02-2010, 10:05 AM Reply   
Im going to go to the sherrifs station and see if they have a manual,and what the fines are.
I like to have a good time out there,but trouble/fine free as well.

Thanks for the answeres,its a good start.
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-02-2010, 10:43 AM Reply   
Here's something i wasn't aware of either, not that it makes any difference i guess but just for fyi. Any law enforcement officer, from any agency & jurisdiction can ticket you for an infraction on the water if they see it and are aware of the rules & regs. That could open a can of worms huh!
Old    walker44            04-02-2010, 11:48 AM Reply   
Like Razzman said, there can be multiple enforcing agencies and multiple citable sections for the same violation. Municipal Code, State Penal Code, Fish and Game, Federal Coast Guard Regulation to name a few. I regularly ride on the boarder between two states where one side is an Indian reservation (I have no clue how that works). Fines get even more complicated because the fees and taxes added to a citation normally amount to more than the actual fine for the violation.

I have never enforced boating laws, but I would assume it’s similar to enforcing vehicle code. We are all in violation of at least some obscure law at all times. Drive safely, don’t draw needless attention to yourself and don’t be a dick to the cop if he does stop you. If you follow those rules you won’t have a problem.
Old     (britshorty)      Join Date: Jun 2009       04-05-2010, 12:41 AM Reply   
I don't know if this is the same as in other states, but up in Washington we have to have a boater education card saying we've passed the test etc... If i'm licensed and wakeboarding while a friend is driving who does not have a license I assume that is illegal? They don't get covered by my license, right?
Old     (chris4x4gill2)      Join Date: Sep 2009       04-05-2010, 10:15 AM Reply   
Whomever is at the helm must have a liscense. Its just like driving a car, just becasue you have a liscense, doenst mean just anyone can drive becasue you are present.

Here (Alabama) you have to pass the boaters test and they add the endorsment to your Drivers Liscense. Same as for a Motorcycle liscense.
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-05-2010, 10:20 AM Reply   
Not so in Cali unless they've changed the law. I've never had any special license nor does anyone i know with a boat. I had heard of something required for new boaters but i'm not familiar with it. I've been teaching my 14-year old grandson to drive since last season without issue.