Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 04, 2003

Old    nero            07-30-2003, 6:24 AM Reply   
I was down at my local ski shop yesterday looking at boards and I found a couple that I liked but the guy told me that the 135's were too small. He said I needed a 140 or above. First of all, how do I find out the weight limit on the boards because I know they very? I am about 6' tall and weigh around 195. Does anyone think a 135 can handle me or was he right about getting a 140?
Old     (columbiatch)      Join Date: Oct 2002       07-30-2003, 6:36 AM Reply   
It would be possible to ride a 135. I'm 6'0 185 and have ridden one with absolutely no problem. It'll just be your preference wheter you the bigger pop and more swing weight from the bigger board.
Old    nero            07-30-2003, 6:39 AM Reply   
What do you mean by swing weight? So if I am an absolute beginner, a 135 is just fine for me?
Old     (n2mywake)      Join Date: Aug 2001       07-30-2003, 6:45 AM Reply   
I ride a 135 and I am 5'10" and weigh 160. I would say you should stick with the 140. I love the pop I get from the 135, but if I weighed 20 more pounds I would get a 140.

just my 2 cents
Old    nero            07-30-2003, 6:53 AM Reply   
But you have to think, that is only 2.5 centimeters on both sides of the board. Is it really THAT MUCH difference? I--2.5cm--I
Old     (columbiatch)      Join Date: Oct 2002       07-30-2003, 6:53 AM Reply   
What I ment by swing weight is that when you do spins, there will be more weight to spin around, but not really too much more. I would say get the bigger board if you are a beginner. It'll help you balance a little better. What brand of boards are you looking at?
Old    nero            07-30-2003, 6:55 AM Reply   
There is an HO revelation with the cheap hyperlite raider bindings as a complete set at that shop for $230. I thought that is a good price for my first board you know?
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-30-2003, 7:24 AM Reply   
Kenneth, the board is also wider, not just longer.
I agree with the guy at the shop - I'd say go with the 140. To elaborate on what Scott touched on - the 135 will sit deeper in the water and have more drag so it will not be as responsive as the 140cm.
Like Scott said the bigger board will help you learn quicker as a beginner.
I don't know about the Hydroslide brand, but you can get a Liquid Force Rhythm 141cm setup with 2001 Super suction bindings for $259.99 from a certain online watersports retailer who's name sounds like Rovertons . That's not a bad deal at all on a good starter board w/boots.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-30-2003, 7:27 AM Reply   
go with the 140 for sure. The 135 will slow you down.
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-30-2003, 7:35 AM Reply   
140 especially if you are a beginner. A bigger board will be a little more forgiving. I am your size and about 15 pounds lighter and I ride a 140. The swing weight thing is true but it's all what you get used to. Murray is a little guy and sometimes rides a 140.
Old    nero            07-30-2003, 7:46 AM Reply   
Does anyone know what company sounds like Rovertons like David D was talking about?
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-30-2003, 7:55 AM Reply   
Start by looking at all the ads on this site. Then check overtons, Barts, shuswap (search for it on the internet), and grizzlysports.
Old    nero            07-30-2003, 8:19 AM Reply   
So what would you guys think about Liquid Force DLX 141cm with EZ bindings. I found a package deal for $300 on www.the-house.com and it seems like a really cool board as far as what everyone is telling me to get.
Old    wakeboardjo            07-30-2003, 8:29 AM Reply   
I've ridden the DLX recently and if you are a beginner just starting wakeboarding it should be a good board, but whenever I rode it for a weekend it felt really slow. I would fall just coming over the wake because the board wouldn't keep up and on my edges it seemed kinda hard to get my progressive edge going.

Anyways, Im used to the old Belmont style and the Premier styles and love those. I guess it's really what kind of board you start out on and get a feel for. If there was anyway to do it try and get a ride on some to get a feel for em before you go out and buy them.
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-30-2003, 12:20 PM Reply   
That's a good board for you Ken. It's got 4 fins which makes it better than the Rhythm IMO.
I saw they have a 142cm O'Brien Cobe model for sale at $229.00 - that's a great board and a steal at that price. You might be able to have The House put the EZ bindings on that for the same price as the LF.