Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through December 22, 2005

Old    tarheel            12-16-2005, 4:32 AM Reply   
hi, i am new to the sport and to this forum. I have about 30k to spend on a boat, but i am a bit confused about what would be the best boat for the money and what type of equipment i should be looking for in a boat. that is alot of money and i want to do it right the first time. any suggestions would be helpful. also if this is not the right category for this type of question please let me know. thanks guys and great message board!!}
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       12-16-2005, 4:59 AM Reply   
Hello tarheel and welcome!

There are many boats to choose from in that price range. Best to get a well-made boat that will hold its value, such as MASTERCRAFT, NAUTIQUE OR MALIBU. Go V-drive if you plan on mostly wakeboarding, plus you get more interior room. Make sure it has a tower, too.
Perhaps find a used 2-4 year old boat in excellent condition. Should be some out there.
Check these sites:
tmcowners.com (mastercraft)
planet nautique
flipsell.com
malibuowners.com

Since you're in TN there should be many ski boat dealers in your area. Check around.

I have a 2003 MC 230VRS that I bought this past summer for $40K. You may be able to find an X-star, Malibu or Nautique in your price range.
It's always fun shopping around for the "perfect boat"! Good luck!
Old     (crowmobe540)      Join Date: Mar 2004       12-16-2005, 6:44 AM Reply   
I think njskier gave a great answer. That really is the top three boats out there. a couple more sites are:
iboats.com
boattrader.com

One thing that I would suggest is to go test drive new ones. You can really get a feel of what you like about each company. Plus do some research about how they are made and then decide from there. There are several things to think about. how much are you going to wakeboard? how important is it to have a lot of room? How important is the wake to you? Even with those top 3 boats there are many differences when it comes to these questions. If you give more details people can maybe steer you in the right direction for the perfect boat.
Also on equip (if your wakeboarding)
perfect pass (cruise control)
ballast tanks
and what was said above
Old    tarheel            12-16-2005, 11:39 AM Reply   
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i found what sounds like a good deal on a nice moomba mobius lsv 2005 for 30k!
i found it on this site. do you guys know of other sites that i should check out for used boats like this one.
this is a link to the boat i am considering, let me know what ya think.

http://www.theboatlink.com/pack2details1.php?id=337
Old     (crowmobe540)      Join Date: Mar 2004       12-16-2005, 12:32 PM Reply   
Looks decent...definitely not as high end as the ones we have been talking about. I had the option to get a newer cheaper boat and chose to go with a lil older better boat. It really is the only way to go. It will last you a long time.
Old    00wakesetter            12-16-2005, 12:46 PM Reply   
Please dont limit yourself to only those three manufactures. There are others that are just as dependable and well built as the "top three" Tige, Moomba, Supra.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       12-16-2005, 6:13 PM Reply   
Hope this doesn't start a war...
agreed... don't listen to anyone that is going to steer you in one direction on a boat. Fact is all inboard companies are growing right now and all produce a great boat. Pick one that you like. It really is tough to find a bad manufacturer in the inboard market. I just hate to listen to people justify their purchase and tell you that you have to get the top three. Truth is they are not even the top three anymore. One of them slipped out, but hey we still all know what the "top 3" means. Other companies are also experiencing more growth than them (as a percentage). I own a Supra and would never tell you that is the way to go. Malibu, MC, CC, Skiers Choice (supra & moomba), Tige, Centurion, MB, Calabria, Sanger, Supreme, etc are all awesome boats. Go find one that you really like and fits your needs best. Don't listen to sales people or people that tell you one manufacturer is the way to go. They all rock!!
Oh yeah find a good dealer. Just as important.
Just realize everyone will have an opinion....
Old    tarheel            12-17-2005, 7:28 AM Reply   
thanks for the info guys i now have a better idea about boat shopping and what to look for.
Old     (supreme_rob)      Join Date: Sep 2005       12-17-2005, 10:10 AM Reply   
Here's my 2 cents! I was in the same position as you last august and looked at alot of used boats and spent countless hrs driving all over to see boats that were supposed to be in "perfect shape" only to find them with staind carpets and scratches on the bottom of the hull from beaching them. With a budget in mind I went to the supreme dealer for right around 30k I bought a new sky supreme which came with the same motor as most of your other high end boats a mercruiser mag 350 with 315 hp, a proflight tower, ballast system with guages and all dash guages are faria which come in many high end boats a bolster drivers seat and stero remote on the main panel. Also a custom painted to match the boat dual axle trailor. You get alot for your money and it is yours from the the get go! It's been a great boat that we get a lot of compliments on it's just not a mc,bu,or san. Good luck!
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-17-2005, 8:23 PM Reply   
Don't get in a hurry. It took me many months to find just the write deal and boat. My 99 launch is perfect for me. Look at all the boats you can stand the more the better. You will see the quality differences between them. I have seen people board behind jet boat's. I would say pick the boat that you like and fit's you're needs space and size. GOOD LUCK!
Old     (bremsen)      Join Date: Aug 2005       12-18-2005, 6:06 AM Reply   
Tarheel....and you're in TN? Aren't there laws against that in TN?

ok, on topic....unless you're an avid DIY'er, the dealer should the first step in narrowing your search for an inboard. Trust me, go visit a few and you will surely have a favorite or two. The dealer can make ownership a pleasure or a nightmare.

With your budget, I would suggest buying a 2-5 y/o V-drive. You get the most for your $$ this way....no new boat depreciation, all the bugs should be worked out, and the boat will likely be better equipped than a new boat in the same price range (racks, pp, stereo, ballast, etc, etc). Also, if its your first boat, you won't feel as bad when you make those rookie mistakes.

Once you have narrowed it to a few choices then do some online research or post questions on the specific boats. Market prices, reliability, wake size/shape, etc should be things you look for. You will get many opinions, but you can use them to pick what you think is the best boat for your $$. Boat owners are usually very brand loyal and will recommend the one they own, so just remember that just b/c 'Joe' likes #enter brand name#, doesn't mean you will. Quality and value are subjective....you'll have to come to your own conclusions.

Then the test drives (if you haven't already), tech inspections and negotiations. Before you know it you'll be on the water enjoying, knowing you got YOUR perfect boat.

(Message edited by Bremsen on December 18, 2005)
Old    tarheel            12-19-2005, 4:47 AM Reply   
I am a huge college b-ball fan and the HEELS just keep on winning, and yes i am not that well liked around here this time of year. Have you guys ever seen an Epic made by Toyota. i found one that looks to be equipped pretty well. check it out!
http://www.theboatlink.com/pack3details1.php?id=80
Old     (bremsen)      Join Date: Aug 2005       12-19-2005, 7:46 AM Reply   
I think they look nice, but I'm not sure how they stack up to the more common mfg. Toyota has promised to keep parts for a few more years last I heard, but that might be a problem down the road. Here is another that was FS (might still be):
http://forums.wakeboarder.com/viewtopic.php?t=50541

I'm sure as with any 'yota its a very well build machine, but I personally would rather have a 2000-1 MC 205V/x-star or CC SS/SAN for $30k. I think either would hold more value, be easier to resell, find parts, etc. than the Toyota}. Just my .02.

Old     (azwakekid)      Join Date: Apr 2005       12-19-2005, 8:49 AM Reply   
they made thoes toyotas for 3 years, thats it! good luck trying to get parts for the thing...go with something that has a sbc in it parts are everywhere....my 2 cents
Old     (rvh3)      Join Date: Jul 2003       12-19-2005, 2:51 PM Reply   
A brand new Sky Supreme with all those options for 30K? Where do I sign?